Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid 2

Options
  • 08-03-2002 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I picked up my copy today, and I admit at this early stage it is living up to the hype. The game plays like a dream, and the story line is interesting so far. It is one of the better looking games on the PS2, and has the gameplay of the original to match. I love the menu system off the title screen.

When you start a new game, you can let it know whether or not you played/completed the original, amonst others. I'm sure that affects the series of events presented in the game.

So far the cheapest place I've seen it is in Xtravision @ €55. That's about €5 cheaper than everywhere else. ;)

What do the rest of yez think?

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ya can get it off play.com for 32.99 with free delivery
    works out at 53 euros
    all of the new games are tha price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I still think Xtravision is the better option. For the sake of €2, I wouldn't want to lump it on my credit card bill, and have to wait for delivery.

I say this because I just arrived home in Galway this evening, and had a few mins to spare in town, so I popped in to Xtravision (to rent a DVD), and ended up spotting the game. So for that extra €2 I was able to get my hands on it instantly. I wouldn't buy a game over the net unless I could save myself @ least €15-20.

Anyway I've played the game a little more since I posted earlier, and I am still in awe. But the only thing that is pi$$ing me off is, that the camera angles don't let you see enough of the surrounding area. I have been caught by this several times, and have ended up in an enemies line of sight. Also I wouldn't call the first person mode "pants", but it's not far off it. At this early stage I will put it down to the fact that I'm still getting acquanted with the controls. Also why is the enemy scanner not always there?, it was in the last game (I think!, its been a while since I played it).

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'll be getting my copy this afternoon. I know it's supposed to be short as hell but who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

The enemy scanner thing isn't there cos you haven't downloaded it. You've gotta find the terminal thingy in the room or Strut you are in, then press *triangle* to download it.

Anyways, didn't play the original, but this is a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I love this game...... it is just brill...

I was a bit confused at the start tough after playing the demo then playing the real game and it was totally different....

got a lovely pic of olga with a dart right between the eye's, then got given out too by otocon for shooting her while she was unconsious

I shall have hours of fun with this game... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i got it today :)

its a good game, much like the first one in alot of ways

i haven't bothered looking at the bonus disk yet. is there anything good on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

I put the bonus DVD in. And it came up with 'We do not reccommend using this DVD untill you have completed the game. It contains secrets and spoilers' or something to that effect.

Suffice to say, I took the DVD back out of my PS2 and put it down my underpants for safe keeping. I'll be watching it if and when I complete the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

The enemy scanner thing isn't there cos you haven't downloaded it. You've gotta find the terminal thingy in the room or Strut you are in, then press *triangle* to download it.

I pretty much figured that out shortly after posting earlier. Tis an excellent game, and is consuming what little time I have. Christ college is really suffering this weather, between this and DJing. I am waiting for responsibility to give me kick up the a$$.

I am getting better with the controls, but the camera angles leave you quite vulnerable at the best of times. If you've been spotted and you loose the visual, you are pretty much fuxored. Another thing that I really like is the fact that I didn't own the last game, so didn't actually get around to finishing it. So I don't know the ending. I am playing Game 5 (the last one in the list, "Didn't clear the last game, but bring on the action"). What has me in awe is that one of my mates called over this evening to see it, and he went for the first option ("I have finished the first game, and bring on the action"). The intro sequence was totally different (better if anything), and the game looks amasing. It's like playing a completely different game with all the kewl graphics and gameplay etc.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

NYOMZORS

It rocks my jocks

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I was about to buy it on Friday, went into Game, it was €64, then in HMV it was a whopping €74.99. Xtravision were sold out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

In the codec, keep pressing the L and R buttons, it's funny if you press them at the right time and he says something stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Good but a tad overhyped imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Got it on sunday and havent slept sence,
    Just finnished it there,
    I wont say anything dont worry but, hrm..
    I got is for €55 in xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Did you think the ending kinda.......sucked. It was such a good game, but the ending was not so good, dont want to say anything about it cause people dont have it finished yet but, what did you make of it hacktavist or anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Does anyone else think it was a great idea by playstation to release it's most anticipated game yet "Metal Gear Solid 2" within a week of the release of the X-Box. Smartness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Does anyone else think it was a great idea by playstation to release it's most anticipated game yet "Metal Gear Solid 2" within a week of the release of the X-Box. Smartness

Yep, pretty smart I guess. They did exactly the same in the USA. This month is full of PS2 goodness actually - ICO is out at the end of the month, and that's a real gem of a game (better than MGS2 for a bloody start!).

I've a deep suspicion that they're trying to rush Final Fantasy X in order to get it out for the start of May as a GameCube spoiler, too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vivi

Originally posted by Shinji

I've a deep suspicion that they're trying to rush Final Fantasy X in order to get it out for the start of May as a GameCube spoiler, too... [/B]

Do you think that they would have it ready for May Shinji??

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Man there's some smart stratagie being played by Ps2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by -oRnein9-
    Man there's some smart stratagie being played by Ps2.

I dont really think so.
    Who ever wants an Xbox will get one reguardless of Station2 software strength, the Xbox price makes me think theres no one on the fringe...pondering yes/no.

I think theres alot of BS surrounding the console too, i bet in reality i didnt need to reserve my box, i will walk into Gamesworld @ whatever time and i bet it will be pretty much the same as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Theres only a hundred coming to ireland for the release.
    unless they get some through the UK you won't be walking in to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

PCC what are you talking about?
    I liked the ending in the end. Kinda makes you think..
    Still a brilliant game and id recommend it anyday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by PPC
    unless they get some through the UK you won't be walking in to get one.

Source?
    Only 100 i seriously doubt it.

Methinks you speaketh quite a lot of arsé :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

Just finished MGS2. A work of art when it comes to get grafix but the ensing is a little hard.... hard to get to grips with for a while.

i finished it yesterday. you dont exactly get much playing time for your money :(

its still a brilliant game except for its length

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I just finished it there tonite after two nights playing and i'm just in awe. The graphics, the AI, everything screams quality. Except really for the story, a little bit too out there for my tastes. Not quite out there where the final fantasy series is ;) (which i was on disc 4 of FFIX before i got this. haven't seen it since)

I heard that Hideo Kojima wasn't going to produce any more MGS games.

I also heard that he has plans for two more.

Anyone know which is closer to the truth?

Konami plans to produce two more (at least). Kojima doesn't plan to work as director on any more of them, however.

He'll be writing the script for the next one though (oh joy...) but his next actual game project will allegedly be something online...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fergwad

hope all you guys who finished logged in your clear code, its pretty cool cause its gives you a animal ranking like in mgs1.( i did crap on my 1st time and got "elephant", which is "really slow", but i was taking my time enjoying the game and not rushing through it to get a brill score. play time was around 19 hours)

it took me ages to find the site (to log in the code) cause i didnt write it down ->http://jpn00.konami.co.jp/products/mgs2/english/mr/main.html

whats everyones best time for tanker + plant?

i've played it twice. my first time was just over 16 hrs and second was 7hrs 49mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Shinji
    He'll be writing the script for the next one though (oh joy...)

Hehe

I find his stories a little difficult to take in, hard to swallow and a bit far-fetched to say the least.

Advertisement