Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router or Switch?

• 05-03-2001 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

i'm just wondering
    if i get a switch/router for my home, and connect it to an ethernet card and the phone socket (and the router supports both interfaces) would i get faster net access as the router would be local?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

No, as all traffic to/from the internet will still run on a V90 connection (or whatever speed your modem is). In fact, you'll increase your latency very slightly by adding an extra hop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

but wouldn't the routing be done at the computer, rather that @ the isp's router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Each router does its own routing based on configured or learned routes. Your traffic will still be routed by the ISP's routers same as before.

The routing process is generally very fast - downstream line capacity is usually the problem when you see higher than normal or variable ping response times from routers.

[This message has been edited by Snowbat (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

your pipe is still going to be 56k. this wouldn't be a prob if the internet was on your side of the modem. but it's not. it doesn't make a difference what fancy equip you use if you have a small pipe...

(pardon the odd phrasing)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It seems fairly obvious, that everything is still going to have to go through the isp's router. I don't know if your router can determine the entire route that packets will take, hopefully someone will enlighten me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> it doesn't make a difference what fancy equip you use if you have a small pipe...

(pardon the odd phrasing)[/B]</font>

hehe smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steveh

Hi Micro,

Just a few points to note.

1. Any networked connection will only run at speed of the slowest connection on that network. This is probably your modem.

2. The routing process takes up very little bandwidth. The transfer of data from end point to end point takes up the bulk of your connection bandwidth. This is from your computer to the internet server to which you are connecting.

3. Assuming you don't have a DNS (Name) Server, the configuration of your router will have to point to the name server of your ISP. So just like Snowboat and Gerry suggested... your router cannot find the entire route to your required internet server and this will just add another hop from you to your ISP and hence from you to your requested internet server.

steveh

Stephen Hampton
    Ubiquity Solutions
    www.ubiquityweb.com

Advertisement