Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre to every home in the State

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by pork99
    Given the calibre of the current incumbents they may think fibre in every home means a box of all-bran in every home

Post of the month:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

Nice one 99 puts a whole new complection on a Fibre Ring.You could say that the TD,s are talking out of their fibre rings.:D

Stone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

I think this whole thread is up the 'fibre Ring' (nice one Stonemason) if it truly believes any of this will happen quickly, efficiently or cheaply. It'll be dust after the election.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Maybe our biggest wish for the next six months should be that Fianna Fail might have learn't their lesson and if they are voted back in, they don't let Mary near Telecoms or Transport ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Quorthon

I only read these boards occasionally, and have just read through this thread. The general level of optimism never ceases to amaze me despite this countries particularly poor record when it comes to implementing ANYTHING, let alone 5 mbit connections to each home in the state.

This is just a pre-election promise like any other, the government is going through the list of things they promised at the last election and trying to appear like they have somehow delivered. (witness the miraculous number of new hospital beds, the abortion fiasco etc).

It seems like only yesterday, but is in fact 2 years ago now when Eircon started marketing "hi-speed" and I was slated for getting it at the time, "but NTL will have cable in soon", "dsl is only around the corner", and last but not least "genesis will give you 45 mbit!!!!!!!".

I'm afraid the cynic in me will not allow me to get excited about waffle like this. They would be far better off forcing through some sort of flat rate ISDN product in the short term, than undeliverable promises.

Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by pork99
    Given the calibre of the current incumbents they may think fibre in every home means a box of all-bran in every home

Someone transfer this to the humor board - thats the best one liner I've heard in quite a while...

Whom to I contact to claim my free all-bran?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dazzaman

Much as I'd love to have broadband sometime before the group Six are back pumping petrol or packing 15c grocery bags, I have to agree with Quorthon on this :(

*look, Mom, I made my first post here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sunday Business Post: Non-profit network a big waste of money

Sunday Independent: Lurking in the dark with the broadband blues

Bear in mind that neither of these articles may yet understand what is being proposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

i agree every word with you Quorthon !!
    Its all promises...empty promises in my humble opinion :)

I believe the solution to our dilemma will not be an irish solution but will be a european solution via some 2-way affordable and reasonable satellite offer from a european sat company.
    The hope is that anyone in a supposedly free market anywhere in europe can offer us that.

May that day arrive sooner than we expect :):)

just my 2 cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Sunday Business Post: Non-profit network a big waste of money

From a cursory glance, I don't think he even read the press release....
    Sunday Independent: Lurking in the dark with the broadband blues

Bear in mind that neither of these articles may yet understand what is being proposed.

"The Sunday Independent has learnt..."; "...Ireland's hidden broadband network..."

Oh please. These were secrets?

Give me a break.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

A more positive reaction from Karlin Lilington in the Irish Times.

Public private route ideal for broadband expansion - analyst
    Mr Mackenzie is completing a report on the western European domestic broadband market, in which he says the Republic ties with Greece for last place. "You have no DSL [digital subscriber line, a high speed broadband technology that uses ordinary phone lines], and almost no broadband cable," he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Irish Fitted for Broadband Rings (Lillington, Wired News)

O'Rourke's comments on the second page are interesting:
    O'Rourke said the Irish government was not yet sure whether the second and third phases of the build-out would be entirely government-funded or would involve another public/private partnership. "That will depend on how we see the initial 19 towns going. Eventually a pattern will emerge."
    I would've thought the whole thing would be planned out to the last cent. Surely the Government hasn't just pulled this out of the hat to placate Irish voters in the run-up to the General Election? Surely not?

And since the Irish government seems to be telling us we're underway, we're up-and-running, we're ready to go, where's this "public/private partnership company"? Shouldn't that have been formed last week, had several meetings, and be negotiating with contractors as we speak?

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    [BI would've thought the whole thing would be planned out to the last cent. Surely the Government hasn't just pulled this out of the hat to placate Irish voters in the run-up to the General Election? Surely not?[/B]

I'd be more inclined to believe this if a substantial proportion of Irish voters actually knew what broadband was....

I'd be more inclined to believe this if a substantial proportion of Irish voters actually knew what broadband was....

I'd be more inclined to believe it if more than a dozen TD's and civil servants knew what it was...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Manic

The Minister for Public Enterprise, Mary O' Rourke TD, today announced a major drive to bring high speed Internet access to 67 towns around the country.
    Minister O' Rourke has appointed an expert team to manage the regional broadband strategy. The team comprises: Chris Horn (Iona Technologies), Kevin Dillon (Microsoft), Martin Murphy (Hewlett Packard), Dr Alastair Glass (Science Foundation Ireland) and Brendan Tuohy (Secretary General, DPE).
    "We have been working on this project since last year and Government provided the final go-ahead yesterday. This initiative will push Ireland into the top ten of OECD countries for broadband connectivity."

HUH!?

Some names that IOFFL might find usefull perhaps?

Full story here http://www.athlone.ie/broadband/index.htm

If this has already been posted, sorry.

Regards,

Manic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

http://www.usatoday.com/life/cyber/tech/2002/03/21/fiber-shortage.htm
    Dark fiber is not the same as capacity. Even though a fiber is in the ground, it's far from being usable. For every $1 spent to put a fiber in the ground, a company has to spend $20 to attach it to all the equipment, configure it and turn it on.

Has the government got its sums right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

FFS...im in phase ****ING 3, in other words - N E V E R

in the words of the great woman herself

why dont you **** off back over the shannon..

maybe thats how you do it -- Move to Manorhamilton

Ok, i am now offocially announcing that my game pleaying days are reduced to 56k forever...i AM NOW DEPRESSED. I am been forced to get my ass kicked in Half-life (Day of Defeat) forever, BY THE MINISTER!!!

i am delighted for manorhamilton, i drove thru it once. It should take about 20 minutes to get them live with the population-- but calling it a town rather then a village is a bit rich.

19 towns doesnt even constitute a start. it is an election rig.

1 seriously depressed web user.....

Still Manorhamilton, it is nice...i wonder....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Yo

It is exceptionally expensive to put fibre down in Ireland...in the US I believ the average cost is 33% of ours.

Therefore the 1:20 ratio betwen fibre laying and fibre lighting would be 1:7 or so.

The next question involved what one lights the fibre with!

It is expensive to hook up repeaters and telecommunications grade dwdn multiplexors....indeed.

It is a lot cheaper to hook LAN type fddi cards into the fibre.

All of this is acedemic until a critical mass of ducting and fibre is built up in a number of towns where the different aproaches to provisioning the local loop and breaking out to copper can be implemented, ideally by a mix of telcos and local partnerships of various kinds.

Regards

Cormac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

19 towns doesnt even constitute a start. it is an election rig.

The 19 towns were included in Phase 1 based on the Local Authorities coming foward to be part of the plan. They were not just picked by the DoPE. All the local authorites were notified of the project and only these 19 came foward.

So once again its an educational issue in so far as how up to speed are these local authorities?

Danagger, then it is even worse then i thought...So if i underastand you...they were asked if they wanted something like this for minimal cost to themselves ....and said ...no?

Nope. They didn't say /anything/.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thats truly incredible. If it isnt already, could this be included in the RWG's 'package of facts' thing?
    If this incident doesnt proove a need for education, nothing does.

Advertisement