Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL NoLimits + 3hr Cut-Off thingy =

• 05-03-2001 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

We sue them for false advertising?

Surely "No Limits" doesnt mean a 3hr Limit?

While we're at it we may as well sue for selling goods or services not of merchantable quality? ;P

Just a thought.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Hmmmmm, I don't think you'd get them for false advertising, failing to provide a good or service of merchantable quality is a good idea tho smile.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

PiE, they are allowed to say that, its not false advertising,
    I'd say its more 'misleading advertising' though
    no laws against that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PiE:
    Surely "No Limits" doesnt mean a 3hr Limit?</font>

4 hours 8 minutes and counting - looks like they have not implemented the auto-kick yet.
    I'd love to know if this is due to legal, PR, or technical reasons.

The advertising of the time was probably "No Limits* (*terms and conditions apply)" to cover their charges for peak time usage, acceptable use, non payment, liability for faults, and other stuff.

However, selling a service with a 3 hour session limit as "No Limits" is IMHO misleading and dishonest. Unless I'm mistaken, up to now you could maintain a continuous connection if you could afford to pay the charges for peak time use - no limits. If they continue to market this service as No Limits after introducing a 3 hour auto-kick, it would seem appropriate to raise the issue with the relevant organizations and government department.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    While we're at it we may as well sue for selling goods or services not of merchantable quality? ;P</font>

A class action suit sounds good but I suspect Esat's maximum liability is the cost of a month's subscription per customer and they'd argue that the terms of the contract do not guarantee any quality of service.

We'd have to show that those quality of service limitations are in some way unlawful and that we have suffered substantial material or psychological damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

isnt "false" and "misleading" advertising basically the same thing? *shrugs

anyway...does ripping your hair out because of continuous disconnections and other hassle constitute "psychological damage"? I'll bleedin' destroy 'em in that case! wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 JayZuZ

3hrs 50mins and waiting to be kicked. Wonder if they're using CLID and only bootin' users logged with the heaviest abuse of their precious resources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

very possibly, the 3 hour limit only cuts in when treminal service utilisation reaches a certain level-ie 90% of ports used up->boot off beople with usage longer than 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I heard (well 'read' actually) a rumour that the booting only works when you use their dialer software and not when you connect via the dial-up networking connection icon and not using their 'widget'. It seems that's a bunch of b-s and they're just delaying implementing the 3hr limit for the moment... (perhaps?)

Went to www.esatclear.ie to have a looksee in case they'd made an official announcement about it - was redirected to www.esatfusion.ie - interesting site, - looks like they're doing ADSL alright (they'll let you know more if you register at http://register.esatfusion.ie/adsl/form.html )

Regarding the 3hr thing anyway, - I'd imagine it'd be prudent on their part to shelve that plan (which they may just end up doing) and beef up their own hardware. The need to do that is the clear message which a lot of disgruntled customers have been sending to them - perhaps they're actually listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yep, they are.

approx. 200 modems were delivered and fitted about 3 weeks ago. I think the nolimits and iol free modem banks are one in the same which could account for a lot of the traffic.

Advertisement