Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 8210, Wireless modem

• 10-03-2002 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I recently got a new laptop. It has Ir. So for the fun of it i stuck my phone beside it and straigt away it picked up "Nokia 8210". I thought this was cool, nice gimmick but pointless. Then i found out the phone has some kinda built in modem.

I know if i do connect it will only be at 9600, but still i wanna try to get it to work.

So far i've tried to connect to eircomnet on 0502 74501
    The phone dialed the number.
    The lappie said the computer your dialing did not respond.
    The phone said check operator services and gave that "doo,doo,doo" sound

Then i tried ringing my house phone from it to see if it was dialing out at all.... no joy, did the exact same thing.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

try put a comma in before the number you are dialing. If that doesn't work, check that the 8210 is set up as a modem, and that is knows it's wireless and not using a cable (ie the right driver). Slow down any port speeds to 9600 in the modem properties.

I had a similar problem with a 6150 before. The pc though that i was connecting using a cable not IR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

For some reason Nokia's seem to work a lot better with IR than cable. Don't know why, they just do. I can't get mine to even read AT commands via cable, and I've got no problems doing that via IR.

You should look at the various driver/utility downloads you can get at www.forum.nokia.com and hopefully that should sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have used my 8210 with my laptop on a number of occasions..
    As you correctly pointed out, it's 9600, so it's really only useful for emergencies and novelty value :D .

I got it working in Win98, but as far as I can remember, I couldn't get it working in 2K.

I beleive (it was like 1.5 years ago!) that I had to download a driver from the nokia website before I vould get it to work. (yes, the laptop does recognise the phone etc - but you still need the driver software to allow the phone to act as a modem)..

So, try Nokia's website

It has a Guide for Using the Nokia 8210 with an Infrared Data Connection in Windows 2000 as well as a Windows 95/98 Modem Driver for Nokia 8210

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MisterMack

yeah forum nokia is actually usefull.... ***recommended***

check operater services....... believe it or not..... it was good advice.... the god damn phone wasnt data enabled..

called up esat and within 10 mins i was online at a whopping 9600..... i checked my email.... then checked my balance which had shrunk by a whopping 4 euros...... slow and pointless....... point being

"data enabled"
    it wasnt...... it is now.

but why.....

dunno why. just another excuse to take more money FROM your balance........

its friday night and im a lil drunk... so i feel like cracking a joke.....

one word......

WAP

ahahhahahhahhahhahhahhahahahhha

jc who baught a phone because of that ... its like teletext... but its actually slower..... never thought that was possible...

and the same people that brought you wap.... are now talking about g three.......................... excuse me if i dont run out and by a g3 phone within the next 5 years.

anyway thanks for your help and suggestions....
    and btw, i heard of a high speed sim card that works with some phones..... im being lied to or is their such thing???

(DONT BUY AN EITHGY TWO TEN........ MY ONE USED TO CRASH ALL THE TIME. I GOT A REPLACEMENT AND IM SURE IT WILL DO THE SAME, WHEN I PUT ALL MY NUMBERS IN IT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by MisterMack
    its friday night and im a lil drunk... so i feel like cracking a joke.....
    Always unplug your PC at home before going out on the p1ss. It's a good prevention of the "fsck, did I post that?" syndrome :p
    and the same people that brought you wap.... are now talking about g three.......................... excuse me if i dont run out and by a g3 phone within the next 5 years.
    That's 3G, not G3.
    and btw, i heard of a high speed sim card that works with some phones..... im being lied to or is their such thing???
    Sounds like GPRS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MisterMack

hmmm good call m8...

Up until now when i head out on the p1ss i have to put my sim card in backwards so i cant make any phone calls........... i think id better find a similar solution for the pc, maybe i could change the voltage switch on the back from 230v to 110v....... that'd be a quick solution to that problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

Eircell have a high speed service at the mom its supposed to work @4300(i think) but in real terms it will work at 2800 no problem. It only works with nok9210 and nok 6210 though!

Advertisement