Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland Poll Agreed

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by Meh
    Because the Special Criminal Court, to their credit, have been wary of convicting based on a Garda's word alone.
    Right so you do need internment then.
    That's a great idea! Let's dispense with our expensive and outdated criminal justice system altogether and just jail people based on who the Evening Herald think is guilty!
    You're not listening to me. I'm saying that if the threat from these people is perceived to be great enough, then you should intern them.

And it was Jim Cusack in the Irish Times btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If there is to be a poll will there be just one in the North or can we vote? Also would it be a simple 50% + 1 vote or would the result need say a two-thirds yes to be passed. I for one could'nt see how a 50+1 poll result could be considered safe myself, if nearly all Unionists voted No and that was'nt reflected in the result there would be hell to pay.

Also of course many in the Republic dont want a United Ireland on the grounds it would be no such thing and would cost lots, imagine all those Prods in safe Public Sector jobs that would have to be sacked (about 45% of all employment in NI is by the State.).

Then there's the civil war that might follow such a poll.

Best forget it methinks.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

If it's legal I wouldn't consider it to be subversion.

The UN Declaration of Human Rights guarantees a right to a fair trial (I think). I see internment as a preventitive measure rather than a judicial process. For example, the Omagh bombers should be interned not because they carried out the bombing but because they will probably do it again. In this instance, no trial is involved and thus there is no conflict with the UN declaration.

so the word prejustic is alien to you.
    as some stage you make harm we there fore ive the right to kill you?

at some stage they will be able to establise gens that cause violent behavour in people, so am i to persume that somebody with excess amounts of these gens is likely to commite a crime therefore should be jailed at birth?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hmm Internment can work- De Valera to his credit used it to break the power of the IRA in the south during "The Emergency". It can go badly as well as the British found out. I suppose it depends on whether you think the risk of it blowing up in your face (literally with the IRA scum involved) is worth it.

As for the problems raised by unionist/loyalist alienation in a united ireland there is the possibility of actually devolving a lot of the domestic powers to regional governments. This would allow the unionists to retain a large degree of control over their domestic politics at the very least (Given the consent principle they would still be a minority but a significant one). Given that the EU is attempting to take control of foreign policy and economic matters (Good luck to them- Im for a federal europe, not for that mess they have in Brussels) they would probably find little difference in foreign policy compared to the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm a semi-federlist in that I have no problem with the concept only those who propose it! I really don't think Unionists would be
    swayed by the devolution within a 32 county Ireland arguement.

We can't devolve local or national government properly as things stand now, so I would hold out much hope for a new all-Ireland government being able to make a decent fist of it.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

so the word prejustic is alien to you.
    er...yes. What does it mean?
    as some stage you make harm we there fore ive the right to kill you?
    I'm not talking about killing anyone.
    at some stage they will be able to establise gens that cause violent behavour in people, so am i to persume that somebody with excess amounts of these gens is likely to commite a crime therefore should be jailed at birth?
    Depends on how likely it made them to commit crimes, the severity of the crimes and if this violent behaviour could be controlled.

Advertisement