Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jasus! there's a fierce amount of cursin in that yoke altogether

Options
  • 10-03-2002 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Sware words in music, does anyone actually think they add anything to music.

Eg. the new tune by Pink, i heard an unedited n the sware word make it even worse! i was so preoccupied laughing at what i though was a teenie boper tune with swareing that i didn't pay attention to the rest of the song. :rolleyes:

Does swareing add anything to the music? 22 votes

Hell yeah, **** u ya stupid ****** mother ******
    0% 0 votes
    bad words make baby jebis cry :(
    100% 22 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

getting rid of swearing is just another form of censorship. clean versions are available if people are offended

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i'm not talking about causing offence, i'm sayin music with swearing in it sound like crap (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I don't think that swearing in music is a bad thing exactly.
    Just that it's generaly the domain of the Eminems and Fred Dursts of this world.

The only time in recent memory I heard a swear word that actualy done anything for a song was when Vinny Cavanagh said '****ing'.

Other than that, it's 99% of the time trying to sound hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jasmine

it depends on if its appropriate to the song i guess. i mean it would sound stupid if westlife started swearin in there songs but if a band like red hot chilli peppers where doin it, then it wouldnt seem so stupid. also it depends on the nature of the song e.g. happy song or angry song etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Yes swearing in music is great and censorship sucks arse.The way the swears are put can be hilarious.Hard to explain but have you ever heard Whats Your Fantasy by Ludacris?Funny line goes like
    "I wanna get you in the back seat,window up,thats the way you like to f.uck":p
    Well said!The dirty versions of some songs are even better than an already good track.For example the dirty version of Bad Intentions by Dr Dre is way better than the radio edit,with loads of altered lines and so forth.Also Crazy Rap by Afroman has soime extras on the dirty version.
    Anyway-in that pink song have you noticed how they change the word ass to ends or soemthing similiar?Pathetic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

the notion that swearing in music makes it bad is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Swearing in music isn't any harm, but swearing for the sake of it is a tad lame. Fair enough if a "swearword" works in a song, it's just another word, but I can't stand bands who seem to think swearing in their songs is making some kind of statement and we should all be impressed. I was talking to someone about the new Limp Bizkit album whenever it came out, I was asking him why he thought it was so good, and pointing out that I thought it was a pile of sh!t, the best he came up with was "There's one song on it where he says **** X amount of times, it's on every line", the guy is 18 for fvcks sake, cue much rolling of eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Swearing for the sake of it is a bit sad really. I'm sure the angst ridden demographic loves it though. But saying that, I curse a good bit in daily life myself and so do many others so if an artist would class their music as a natural extension of their personality so be it. Arguing that swear words just reflect their normal conversation is a valid point I guess.

I for one think lyrics are meant to be artistic and of a high standard and most swear words in lyrics don't improve a song and make it better. There are and forever will be exceptions though.

Uncle ****a or whatever it was called by the South park posse was meant to be an anti-censorship song apparently so I guess then swear words in that song were

I really love this lyric by the bad white boy of rap himself:
    Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell his records;
    well I do, so **** him and **** you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It doesnt bother me, most rap contains explicit lyrics anyway so I'm used to it now.
    You can buy edited versions anyway, I wouldnt though, they sound **** and really annoy me. They either blank it out, or change the lyrics so it doesnt even make sense. Nothing worse than a song thats got blanks in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Vulgarity can depict anger and passion:eg 2PAC: "Hitemup", the message within is vividly clear.."biggy smalls you are my best friend"

I could not care really but it depends on what music you listen to, bible chapters or dizzy spears i dont think you have to be too concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

isn't it a matter of fitting in? so often swearwords in music just seem to be a proof of the lyricists poor vocabulary. on the other hand they're songs that wouldn't work without the swearwords - the expression of stress and confusion in some of r.e.m.'s best songs, quite a lot of the zappa catalogue, lou reed's inimitable way of employing the word ass (stick a fork up their ass and turn them over till they're done). i wouldn't wanna live without them! dirty versions? clean versions? sorry, but if a recording artist actually needs that done to them there either can't be much about the lyrics in the first place (which takes us back to swearing for the sake of it), or they're recording for a demographic that has never exactly been known for their discerning musical tastes, i.e. the under twelves and those who would really listen to westlife if their sister didn't do it. neither should really influence an artist with some basic integrity, and neither should be something we have have to worry about as listeners. if they think it's cool to sound like some demented gob****e with no vocabulary, let them. but don't confuse them with those talented enough to make an artform of swearing. all hail dylan, reed and stipe!

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i don't see why swear words are necessary for expessing flustration... personnally i don't use alot of sware words, the very sound of em makes me cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Only if it fits!
    Like an angry line or whatever! Throwin them in all over the shop ain't nessesary

the new tune by Pink is blantent drug slag "I'm comin up" now come on!!

Depends if its gud or bad music ,so it must depend on taste really
    Hmm am going nowhere

Swearings good ,censorship is a load of mackrel
    There

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

I'm off to start an "are blue paintings good?" thread on the art/animation forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by Monkey
    I'm off to start an "are blue paintings good?" thread on the art/animation forum...

only if they have a splash of orange on them...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think its alright as long as it ain't over used (eg. Fred Durst and Eminem). Because that is just selling out so to speak to the younger and more "rebellious" ( :p ) audience.

I believe that it should be used only for either the purpose of a laugh (**** Yourself - Steve Vai and Frank Zappa) or agression in a song (****ing Hostile - Pantera).

But cursing in every song on a cd is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Shane MacGowan uses swear words at times, especially live, does sound good but on a whole I'd say no, those short fat kids with half-long, half short hair just put me off anything ie Limp Bizkit Hoodys etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by Cheez
    [Bthe new tune by Pink is blantent drug slag "I'm comin up" now come on!!

[/B]

First of all id like to remind you all i oppose censorship.But you think its strange that wasnt noticed?You obviously havent heard the new Missy Elliot tune,and the video is even more obvious.There hasnt been such an unoticed ode to a specific drug since god knows when.I mean,the song makes specific references to ecstasy pills at least 4-6 times!And in the video it goes into all psychadelic effects towards the end and ends with a computer generated pill with a massive letter E on it.How f.uckin obvious is that????Then again the censors probably havent heard of E.In the states it was virtually unheard of until recently and is still not near as widely used as here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Yea only cursing to an extent, but personaly dont like it 16 here and i probably curse more then 3 of my friends put together in one moment, but i dont see its point in musical lyrics in an over use format, its just point less (as is cursing to much insentances any ways)...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I dislike blatant OTT swearing in songs for it usually means the arist choose to take a convenent shortcut instead of spending time to find the right lyric/sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Some people, mainly rappers, write lyrics in the same way they talk, so if they swear a lot when talking they are more than likly gonna swear when rapping.
    On the point about edited versions, they tend to edit sexually orientated lines too.
    Bottom line if you dont want to hear profanity in songs dont listen to them. Most radio stations and tv stations will play clean versions of all songs that have profanity in them. The only place you are going to hear the proper versions is on the albums or at concerts. I even notice that in clubs they play the edited versions.
    Swearing for the sake of it is lame as already pointed out the main culprits here are Eminem and Fred Durst coz they think it's cool and rebelious.

Advertisement