Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large drive help needed

Options
  • 10-03-2002 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

CAnt get my 40g maxtor drive to be recognised
    it will only recognise 32g ,
    Using fdisk , is that my trouble?
    or could it be the bios ,(its an old abit bh6 motherboard with a 450 chip)
    tried partionmagic 7 but its the same only 32g , wont pick up the rest for me
    never had a 30+ drive before ,do i need special software or
    whats goin on ?

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hmmm Strange..
    Is it an old version of FDISK?

If you're running NT/2K/XP, try the disk administrator, and see what capacity it lists your drive as...

If it also says: 32gig, i'd start asking questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

I'd almost bet money on it being the Bios.

Get the latest Bios downloaded & flashed, if that wont work, then im afraid you're stuck.

Renton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yep its your bios,if that doesnt work yo ucan buy an ide controler card and conenct the hd to that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Boston, that won't matter a shíte, tis only a controller for the speed. has bog-all to do with capacity, except with the 128GB limit on DMA100. UDMA133(From maxtor) is a newer standard and can get around it.
    BIOS update is handy, and probably your first port of call, just be careful when doing it. You don't want a power cut half-way trhough, or you'll really be sorry :(

Get MAXBlast software for the drive.
    It should let you limit the cyliders or something and format/setup/install the drive.
    AFAIK NT won't work with it and won't install on it, but Win9x and most Linux Distros will.
    Worth a try anyways :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

actually it will since most ide controller cards come with a bios update to allow compatiblity.

so therefore if he cant find a bios update, get a ide controler card and flash the bios with the update provided

Ps before i get abuse, the update is non board specifice and im only commenting on promise (the best) ide controlers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Good suggestion Boston

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fair enough mate :)
    Didn't quite know what you meant there.
    Appologies if i sounded harsh, wasn't directed at anyone, just putting a bit of 'ffeling' into the post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

thanks guys

downloaded maxblaster and powermax from the maxtor site
    and got a bios update so i should be back on track tomorrow
    with my new 40g hd ....go me ....

anyhoo thanks for the help much appreciated

Advertisement