Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Stripes

Options
  • 10-03-2002 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Why on earth are the White Stripes headlining a Green Energy show at Dublin Castle? Can anyone explain to me why MCD in their wisdom decided that a decidedly average band with unquestionably limited appeal should be chosen to headline a 3,000 capacity outdoor show on a Saturday night when someone like the Frames are lumped with headlining on the Bank Holiday Monday?

Surely one appearance at Witnness in a tent and a few sales in Towers Records does not make the White Stripes a headline act that'll capture a broad crowd? Best of luck to them, but I know the very thought of listening of two half wits in red outfits scream blue murder is not what the doctor ordered.

Mystic Brautigan predicts at least 500 ticket sales followed by something in Hot Press and mcd.ie which says "My God, You shouldn have been there, gig of the year etc..." followed by the White Stripes piss ing off once and for all. MCD, of course, will carry on regardless attempting to convince us all of the "coolness" of the shi te they book when they can't get anyone else. Saying that though, at least they pulled the thumbs out of their arses and got Ozzfest in

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by Brautigan
    Why on earth are the White Stripes headlining a Green Energy show at Dublin Castle? Can anyone explain to me why MCD in their wisdom decided that a decidedly average band with unquestionably limited appeal should be chosen to headline a 3,000 capacity outdoor show on a Saturday night when someone like the Frames are lumped with headlining on the Bank Holiday Monday?

Surely one appearance at Witnness in a tent and a few sales in Towers Records does not make the White Stripes a headline act that'll capture a broad crowd? Best of luck to them, but I know the very thought of listening of two half wits in red outfits scream blue murder is not what the doctor ordered.

Mystic Brautigan predicts at least 500 ticket sales followed by something in Hot Press and mcd.ie which says "My God, You shouldn have been there, gig of the year etc..." followed by the White Stripes piss ing off once and for all. MCD, of course, will carry on regardless attempting to convince us all of the "coolness" of the shi te they book when they can't get anyone else. Saying that though, at least they pulled the thumbs out of their arses and got Ozzfest in

because they rock? really don't see your problem with the guys, sorry...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Yeah i have my ticket and i think it should make for a good old fashioned ass shaking evening:D And as for the Frames i think it'll be a nice change from evening gigs... outdoors, (hopefully) sunny, the frames playing..i can feel the good vibes already

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

You're lucky I'm saving my angry hat for a post about Gemma Hayes, honey. Have you heard their albumn? And how you were told that one or other of the White Stripes and the Frames was a good band, and decided that the Frames were it, I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jenny H

I have to say I think it is brilliant that the White Stripes are playing Dublin - regardles of where they are playing, on what day of the week or who is promoting them!

They may not be the best band in the world (who is any way?!), but they most certainly are a refreshing change from many of the over produced suburban rock bands we are hearing from the US. I like their raw sound.

In fact ... I will be playing some of their lesser known back catalogue tonight on the Waiting Room (9-11 on Phantom 91.6/88.10) for any White Stripe fans.
    :)
    Have a great week!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Sinister Pete

Well well well,

Yet another "I don't like this band so no one else can either" post. Grow up. It's music. Its personal. If we were all the same nobody could pull the "I'm more alternative than you" scam. Revel in your originality.

I love you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i think that is gonna be a class night:

white stripes : well class
    frames : well class
    muse : well class

its gonna be class.

i tells ya...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

i'm after booking the white stripes to play in a venue that they will be comfortable in

my garage

with a secret gig in my bedroom.

those guys are lo-fi jivenance and i love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I got their latest album and its pretty good I dont know what he is complaining about ive already convinced after a lot of argueing friends to go to the hives and the frames just the white stripes left to complete the weekend

don't llike the hives one bit;tho main offender is a good display of vocal prowess,
    they REALLY get under my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Yeah, would like to see the White Stripes but i dunno if i want to see them at Dublin Castle. Not a fan of outdoor gigs at the best of times and the gig will have to be finished by 10pm if its the same as last years ****e Divine Comedy gig. Would like to see them in a smaller venue, indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭anarchy

White Stripes are a bag of dung.
    Celebrate difference of opinion, don't oppress it, mr. sinister pat.

by sayin that ;with no back up or reason/rhyme to it;you really look ignorant.

by saying that mr. gar ptc, you display your unbelieveable stupidity and internet nerdity. presumably you have nothing better to do with your life.
    white stripes are still a bag of dung.

and please stop using the word 'jive'. it wasn't funny or cool the first time and it certainly isn't now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Jimmy

can someone please give me more info on the Green Energy Festival: where is it on? when? who? how much? etc... it sound pretty good if Muse, Frames, and White Stripes are playing

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

i know i'm an absolutley passe internet nerd;
    my god J!ve is SOOO;loike; january 1978.

you idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

no i'm gonna back up anarchy...
    you are an internerd/.....

Music sucks right now and basically clawing around at the ground looking for something to like about irish music aint gonna do a damn thing about it.

just go have a drink and boo them off stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

keep on j!vin' gar... we love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

Dam Right

This word is out of place q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

I think White Stripes are way better then TheHives but I got tickets to The Hives ages ago. Now I find out White Stripes are playing the day before, Why does lfe have to be so complicate gees.
    What am I to do?
    Go to both. Go to just the Hives or sell he hives and get Whites Stripes?
    I need your advise.Help me Help me now!!!

'I'm not usually a religious man but please help me Super Man'
    (Homer Simpson)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

re: J!VE

now raggamuffin don't be mean and insult kids,he'll grow out of it when puberty hits.

insult? I shall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Music sucks right now " - do you ever have anything remotely positive to add?

why do you care? every one of your reviews are 4/5 5/5
    have you never got something negative to say ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

yeah negativity all round!

fuuck diatribe and so forth

you're all wrong...everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Brautigan

Yir all going away from the subject now.. It's still going to be one shi te gig.

Jive? I shant.

wow you guys are all so ccol i hope that i jive like you guys when i finally break out of this internerd puberty phase.
    eejit's.all the same.
    also if you don't like it;what are you going to do about it;
    well?
    be cynical?no change there

seanie;you KNOW what the jive is.
    so does graham....
    jive lads

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Gar, never mind the begrudgers - keep j!ving! By the by, I reckon that the White Stripes are damn brilliant, but I can't see them working out in Dublin Castle - they need a nice intimate venue to really be appreciated.
    Raggamuffin - you have yet again backed up your "I'm too cool for school" attitude with yet another sweeping generalisation. Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

The white stripes shall be a great gig even if they are better suited to a smaller venue as richie pointed out.

If u don't like them don't go......quibbles over?? ;)

• Advertisement

ah screw you it (music now) sucks and disregarding my comments won't change it.....

Advertisement