Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Stripes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Raggamuffin, I didn't disregard your comments. I merely pointed out that it was yet another of your wildly sweeping statements. Simple really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭the_corpo

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    ah screw you it (music now) sucks

that is utter bollocks though. granted, maybe it's become harder to hear good new stuff but i think times have never been better for astonishing new music. why not look for records/mp3's by the likes of lali puna, cornelius, pinback, blonde redhead, boa morte, thingy, the notwist and dozens of others. if you find yourself uninspired by that lot then i dunno :)

i also think ireland has never had a healthier independent scene. a ton of great records were released last year that easily hold their own against foreign bands and often surpassed them. this year i'm really excited to hear the new records by the connect 4 orchestra, the redneck manifesto, boa morte, large mound and joan of arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

alot of it very pretencious though....

what is pretentious???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"every one of your reviews are 4/5 5/5
    have you never got something negative to say ?" - I tend not to buy bad records

go fist yourself

http://www.iol.ie/~thinlizzy/itsallgood.htm
    http://www.iol.ie/~thinlizzy/roryoconnor.htm
    http://www.iol.ie/~thinlizzy/46long.htm
    http://www.iol.ie/~thinlizzy/votel.htm
    http://www.iol.ie/~thinlizzy/semi.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

exactly;

what is pretentious?

apart from a word thrown around (like a **** indie cd from my bedroom window.)people_RAGGY_say it without really having it mean anything.

unless you've met those guys you can't tell if their music is pretentious;
    cos their music might be a lie to what theyre like.

the stripes are going to be overwhelmed by such a large venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

gotta back up the corpo here - there is plenty of good music out there in the world - stop bitching and go find it, dont rely on the media to bring it to you. No matter what your taste there has to be someone somewhere doing something that will blow your socks off - go find it.

as far as all that indie suff being pretentious well maybe it is a bit but so what most music is in some way

also it seems to me that some people have trouble distingusihing between music that is not to their taste vs. music that is crap. There is plenty of music that is not to my taste but I will not condemm as crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by atonal
    gotta back up the corpo here - there is plenty of good music out there in the world - stop bitching and go find it, dont rely on the media to bring it to you. No matter what your taste there has to be someone somewhere doing something that will blow your socks off - go find it.

as far as all that indie suff being pretentious well maybe it is a bit but so what most music is in some way

also it seems to me that some people have trouble distingusihing between music that is not to their taste vs. music that is crap. There is plenty of music that is not to my taste but I will not condemm as crap.

let me buy you a drink for that! :) there IS, admittedly, stuff out there that is undisputably crap. but most of it IS a matter of personal taste. and then of course there is the matter of distiguishing between music and entertainment commodities. six or celine dion are not even crap music, they're not music at all. they're not meant to be music. they're more disposable audio really, consumables like bic razors. the big one i guess is to distinguish where entertainment commodity stops and music begins...

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

thats my opinion on the vast amount of indie-tripe thats out there.

i just never found the words for it- congratulations for the coherency of atlanta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

dublin is the new seattle!

disposable pop comes in waves:
    and the best music is always a response to it...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kirn
    dublin is the new seattle!

aha! you've heard the new large mound lp then!!!

launch gig for the lp in the oak on dame st this thursday, free admission!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭atonal

Originally posted by AtlantaSuburb

.... six or celine dion are not even crap music, they're not music at all. they're not meant to be music. they're more disposable audio really, consumables like bic razors. the big one i guess is to distinguish where entertainment commodity stops and music begins...

yes yes and low quality product at that... if they are going to manufacture and mass market why can't they at least do it well? It is as if there is a contest to see who can sell the worst music in the greatest volume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 the dude

i think their quite good really, they rock and i recon the irish public could do with being exposed to some good rock'n'roll.

as for the frames and sunday, would the organisers not c the sunday show a the grand finale, the coute de gras. i wudnt say they got 'lumped' with it at all. ne real music fan would go c them regardless of what day of the week they were playing.

( and before ne1 desides to post a msg saying i spelt 'coute de gras' wrong il conceed that 1 and save u the bother)

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

I agree with the very first post .......White Stripes ain't bad ......... but a venue like Dublin castle.......is not suited to their kind of sound.......and can only serve to highlight their musical inadequacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SHEILA

I WISH I COULD BE THERE THAT NIGHT, IT SOUNDS LIKE A GRAND NIGHT OUT FOR FUN.
    THE MUSIC IS A GREAT EXCUSE TO GET OUT WITH SOME FRIENDS, AND IF YA DONT DIG IT THEN U CAN LEAVE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. IT;S ALWAYS NICE TO TRY SOMETHING EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU WONT LIKE IT, YOU MAY SURPRISE YOURSELF AND FIND OUT THAT YOUR NOT ALWAYS RIGHT :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

Originally posted by atonal

yes yes and low quality product at that... if they are going to manufacture and mass market why can't they at least do it well? It is as if there is a contest to see who can sell the worst music in the greatest volume.

low quality product in parts. six definitely is, and a cheap one to boot. a lot of the big entertainment acts like celine dion, tho, aren't, if you come to think of it. if you actually listen to the stuff you'll find that obviously a lot of money went into the production, with orchestras involved and all that kind of craic, not to mention that a lot of these acts have quite some voice box on them. judging by the sound the average celine dion album probably costs about twice as much as the average r.e.m. album to produce, so this is by all means high quality stuff. only it's not high quality music, it's high quality entertainment.

:-)

oneArpeggiopete:cool:

Advertisement