Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Microsoft OS

Options
  • 11-02-2002 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

Just for fun - and out of curiousity...

Who is the daddy of em all. 36 votes

Windows 3.1 or below
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 95 (Version A)
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 95 (Version B)
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 95 (Version C)
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 98 (First Edition)
    0% 0 votes
    Windows 98 (Second Edition)
    2% 1 vote
    Windows 2000 Professional
    25% 9 votes
    Windows XP Professional
    72% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

Has to be win2k...
    Started with windows 95...oh god.
    Then went on to 98...oh god again.
    Then onto WinME....oh for f**** sake (Crashed 20 mins after booting for the first time after leaving factory. Win2k disk in cd drive 1 minute later. How can an OS be so cook in this day and age).
    WinNT...never really used it "properly". Just for checking my e-mail and using internet in school.
    Have been using win2k for a nearly a year now. Very happy with it. Very reliable and usuable. Never had any compatiblilty problems with games.
    I think the greatest complement I heard about it was from a friend of mine who is a mad Linux head and Bill hater but has to use win2k in work. After a bit of coaxing he said it was "fairly good".
    :eek: What more do u want??? I used Linux for a few months about 2 years ago instead of win98 and I really welcomed the reliabilty but after moving to win2k I don't think I will be using Linux as my main OS any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I think windows is a nesessary evil!
    I'd rather vms or xwindows...
    I've never got around to putting linux on my machine (it was a choice between linux and halflife..in terms of disk space)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Win98 has often been a very naughty and misbehaving OS, but it has served me well through many gaming / lan sessions.
    Win2000 I haven't used long enough but is seeming to do it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I know noone will agree with this but I'v used 98se and 2000 alot and i'v crashed 2000 alot more than 98se!

As for NT *shudder* the horror, the horror!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows 2000 Pro is superior :)

I used to dual boot 2k and 98, but never ever used the 98 partition so I nuked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'm using XP pro for the last few months an I love it. I used Win2k pro before that for well over a year and had no problems. But as much as I liked/loved both those OS's I never had the feeling I had when I started using 95. That OS really was ground breaking at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Tsk Tsk, wheres the Atari Jaguar option?

Win2k is great. Xp is bloated poo ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I've tried them all and am going for XP, its the only one I have't had to reinstall after all the crap I put my machine through.
    Less crashes and I like where their trouble shooter says to restart the machine first than to call tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

XP 0wns your MA
    well apearently im missing out by not having 2k installed for any length of time but im well happy with XP after 9 monts its rock solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Voted Windows98 SE...even through all the little problems it gave me, they were no where near as many as 2k/XP are giving me.

Stable my arse...I've had more crashs in the past few weeks with XP than I've prolly had in all Win98 SE 's lifetime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

win2k all the way baby.

you forgot win95 osr2....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

XP Pro - 'Cos it lets you add/delete partitions in seconds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Windows 2000 pro without a doubt about two crashes in six months is not to bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by azezil
    I know noone will agree with this but I'v used 98se and 2000 alot and i'v crashed 2000 alot more than 98se!

As for NT *shudder* the horror, the horror!!!

I agree.. be kind to win98 SE and you will be ok!

2000 kernel is more stable but im not that impressed with it.. especially the networking side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I find notion that someone has 2000 crashing more than 98 can only mean they are inserting there member into some opening of the PC - I must warn the uneducated that this carries the very real risk of electrocution (and/or potential loss of family benefit)

My comparison was made over a six month period... during which time i was primarily working on 2k, NT4 and 98se.

2k worked fine most of the time but when adding new hardware the damn thing kept crashing. 2 different machines, the reason for on was wrong drivers but instead of not working 2k decided to crash! and the other was when i installed an ISDN card on a laptop, the machine already had a nic and modem and when either the modem or ISDN was set to default dial-up adapter the other would cause the comp to crash on dial out.

Granted i didn't try doing the same thing with 98se but as i said that was my observation over the six month period when i had access to those three O.S.'s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Your favorite Windoze!: == Corel Linux! haw haw
    [I'm not trolling]
    Even my windoze troll mates, the people who believe VB is gods gift etc, recognise that windows has bad networking, despite nicking the BSD TCP/IP 'stack'
    [/I'm not trolling]

That said, I got used to the XP look n feel, but, what's the point of having 1.2gb of effectively useless file space taken up by hyberfile.sys and pagefile.sys? Personally I think I will just go with 2k pro and VS.Net Beta 2, until I eventually nuke my windoze partition for taking up space and me never using windows.

What really sux about XP is - No dvd decoder and ASPI is broken, god how typical of m$ to release an OS they tried to make stable (to the general public) but totally neuter it as a multimedia machine, also I thought all the graphicalness of XP really really slowed it down, I was running it in my box w 768 mb of ram and a t-bird 1.4ghz and still when doing basic things like drawing a slection box around a pile of icons, it went, really ,really slow.

Ergo I would have to say of all of the ones I have used 2k! I think XP is bloatware pure and simple, having said that if I actually used windows I would quickley get frustrated at having to pay cash money for dvd decoders and working cdrw software gah no........

AKIRA........
    TETSUO............
    ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

PS
    Windows sux!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Typedef, dear boy, you are always trolling. When you open your mouth, you grow a wee brightly-coloured quiff on top of your head, shrink by two feet and go around with an inane grin on your gob. This is you last week, before you started wearing your underpants on your head.

But I'm happy to cater to all kinky fetishes, trolls an' all, so I've created a thread that you'll love - as will thousands of other happy-go-lucky Boards fans, if there's such a thing - here. Amn't I nice? Amn't I? Oh, and by the way...

Get orf moi laaaaand!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Typedef, dear boy, you are always trolling. When you open your mouth
    :rolleyes:

f-scarface3.jpg

hmmm well @ least some of us aren't sniff sniff ;) hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Here it is folks, Cast you're votes now, Lets see which is the daddy of all them all

(no militant linux fanatics plz)

Renton

• Advertisement

Win2k all the way :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You forgot Windows ME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

two threads merged, interesting results

in fairness ;) Who'd vote for WinME ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

98se.

Originally posted by Boston
    two threads merged, interesting results
    that must be why i got to vote again! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Win2k, when it works.
    Win98SE is handy for ld games, DOS and hardware, but I'll be installing 3.1 and DOS5 instead of it next time round :D
    I hate WinXP. Touchy-feely shíte.
    I do however like MacOSX. Nice thing that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

windows ce on my sega dreamcast.
    my snes emulator is the only thing that crashes it
    (and thats a public beta i downloaded and burned the iso for)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

You left out the Atari Jaguar option rents :)
    Eh, oh... here we go again.

/me runs away **

• Advertisement

Glad to see you changed your avatar obi wan.

Advertisement