Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was hacked!!!!!!

Options
  • 11-03-2002 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I help operate a music organisation known as Gigsmart.
    Our websites forum at www.gigsmartireland.com was altered and destroyed by some sort of malevolent individual. The posts were deleted and the moderator was changed to one of the users. The password is known to one indiviual who has it written only in his mind.

How was this be done? Can the perpetrator be traced and how can I prevent it from happening again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Get a more secure forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Howdy,

You will be a more authoritive response on the security response.. but anyway.

Find out what forum software you are using. Check any logs for activity, find out if there are any patches for the forum software.

( put up an apology page as well.. instead of just disabling it completely )

If they accessed your machine via another service, then you might have a big problem. But seeing as they just defaced the forum it's unlikely. Go through the web server logs and look for access in or around the time of the attack. IP's will be shown.
    Though to be honest, even if you get their IP, and track back to their ISP, I don't think that many ISP's will actually make any effort to see justice done. If it's deadly serious.. etc consult a lawyer. But seeing as it's just a forum.. Just get a more secure one.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Thank you both very much. What forums would you recommend for their security?

The perpetrator when caught may not be brought to court or punished by his/her ISP but they will have the pleasure of fifty bands and 40 singer songwriters kicking the living bejesus out of them!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

will VB is pretty secure or ubb as a second. but i allways thought your security depended more on what server your runing then on the actuall board software, though since it was jsut the forum and not the site thats most likely were the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Yeah, you need to get hold of the IP logs etc., same thing happend to a site I admin on a few months ago, it was traced back to an ISP in Russia....so good luck with getting hold of whoever did it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I don't think I'll be traveling out of the county of Dublin with this one if my suspicions are proven correct....

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

if you find him, remember to delete this thread as you they can be used against you, if you take the law into your own hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

so what ya gonna do ?
    *knock knock*
    "who is it ?"
    "it's pc hard man"
    "ok whatya want"
    "did u hack my site"
    "eh ye so what ?"

i know what i'd do if you came to my door :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

just to add another note to this fiasco.
    it's not the guy who hacked the forum you should be after it's your hosting company or/ the person who installed the forum if they're not competent enough to run a secure show the curtain shouldn't be lifted.

invoice is in the post. :cool:

Advertisement