Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new PC problems

• 11-03-2002 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but.......

I've put together a PC today using parts I've boguht and had lying about. Its fairly basic right now with just a mobo, chip, ram grapics card, floppy, harddrive and CD Rom in it.

When i boot i get no beeps, there's no output at all to the monitor. The CD rom light flashes for a while after 2 or 3 seconds but I don't seem to get any activity from the harddrive.

It's possibly some part e.g. mobo or chip may be faulty or I may even have incorrect RAM (though i doubt that) but I don't really know where to start in diagnosing the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just check and make sure all the cables are inserted the right way around. A lot of the time the ide cable is in ar$eways and it wont allow the system to boot. Also try the mobo with just the Ram and the grapics card in it and add the other devices 1 by 1. also if you are using more than one stick of ram put 1 in at a time.

Regards,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Also check the jumper settings on the CD and HDD and make sure they are not both set to primary if on the same IDE cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

theres a comp in the place i work that bizzarely won't start unless you open the cd drive! turn it on checks for cd, floppy does nothing. open and close the cd drive and it boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

Originally posted by azezil
    theres a comp in the place i work that bizzarely won't start unless you open the cd drive! turn it on checks for cd, floppy does nothing. open and close the cd drive and it boots!

That could be the Bios, it could be set to boot of the cd-rom 1st or then again it could just be fecked up:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What PSU is it? If you are using a fairly new mbd and have an old or low power 200wat psu then forget it.. you will get exactly what you described.. try a more powerful psu!

• Advertisement
Advertisement