Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BroadBand in Ireland.

Options
  • 11-03-2002 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Okay I am new to this forum and do not live in Ireland at the moment. So maybe my questions is a old topic.

I lived in Galway for 4 months last year Jan to April.
    Had ISDN there and got charged a arm and a leg and still being charged from Indigo even though I have called them, emailed them and wrote letters to them saying I closed my account.
    My credit card co is a complete joke and are almost as bad as indigo :P
    Anyway.. Living in the States at the moment and will be moving back to Ireland in the fall or maybe the UK.
    But a big factor for where I end up is Broadband. I work from home and online most of the time. So it is a very important for me to always be on and have some power and speed online.

I seem to never find any information online about this and wish someone had some news and can shed some light on this matter for me. :)

I do not understand why a country like Ireland can be so far behind and not want to bring the country into the new way of living. Seems like Eircom is more then happy to with hold DSL from ppl. And the prices I have seen from Eircom are not even funny at all.

I am living in Seattle, Washington USA right now.
    I have a T1 1500/128 Now My average speed is 1300 which is fine by me since they only promise 80% of said speed.
    Price I pay for this is $90 a month. Not bad at all for me.
    Could go with a cheaper line like 640/256 for $40 a month but I like the T1 :P

I lived in the UK and had BT open world.
    EEEK. They are not so good but it sure was better then ISDN.

If anyone can fil me in on what is going on or send me in the right direction to get the information I am looking for that would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Ross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sorry if this doesn't help much, but the companies that still appear to be selling broadband are Chorus in Limerick and NTL in "selected parts of West Dublin".

http://www.chorus.ie
    http://www.ntl.ie

The NTL site seems to be full of broken links.

Chorus recently discontinued their residential service but they still sell a business service for just over 100 euro. There is a download cap on this service.

NTL still provide a residential service which has no cap but it is impossible to find out which specific parts of West Dublin are covered without giving them an address. NTL cover most of Dublin, Waterford and Galway with one-way cable which is unsuitable for cable modem Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Broadband atm in Ireland is still as bad as it was when you left Ireland last year, theyre is still the trialling of DSL which has been trialled to death at this stage. Eircon went to release their DSL product last year for an outrageous price (>100 iep) with a 3 gig cap, which to say the lease is a load of balls! ISDN is still been marketed to the last by Eircon, listening to the adds they have for it would make you feel sick to listen to them! If you were to get the current connection you have atm in the usa over here itd cost you a hell (*1,000,000! exaggeration I know but tis damn expensive in comparison) lot more than over there.

In england atm they are currently selling DSL for about 20stg a month afaik, with some companies bringing out a 1 meg connection for 50stg per month.

If you are looking for decent access in the for seeable future then move to England, were stuck in the hole we were in for the last few years for the for seeable future

Im sure more people have better info than I have on the Issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SkepticOne

http://www.ntl.ie

The NTL site seems to be full of broken links.

Hehe just like their network funnily enough :p Those NTL ads on TV and radio - touting Digital TV and phone services - can they be brought before the ASAI for that? Nowhere in the ads does it specify that it's only available in selected parts of Dublin (in fact they don't mention the 'only in Dublin' bit at all). I get quite angry when these ads come on......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Dithean

But a big factor for where I end up is Broadband. I work from home and online most of the time. So it is a very important for me to always be on and have some power and speed online.

Good luck with that! :p

I do not understand why a country like Ireland can be so far behind and not want to bring the country into the new way of living. Seems like Eircom is more then happy to with hold DSL from ppl. And the prices I have seen from Eircom are not even funny at all.

It's a question we ask all the time. And your right...nothing about Eircom is funny :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by seamus
    Hehe just like their network funnily enough :p Those NTL ads on TV and radio - touting Digital TV and phone services
    Well, the digital TV is fairly widespread now but it is one-way and does not require anywhere near the level of upgrading as two-way. They do provide phone services nationally, but apart from the two-way areas ("selected parts of West Dublin"), these use Eircom local lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dithean
    Anyway.. Living in the States at the moment and will be moving back to Ireland in the fall

Ross, stay there if broadband is a major factor for you. If you have to come over, you'll be disapointed :( ... you'd be better of in england with their dsl or cable.

Once i'm fully qualified in my area of work, i'm outa this eircom dump and off to the US :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well all i can say is england is your best bet, anywere you can get adsl from bt you can get it from several different companies.

there is a guy here running around with a 2mb connection and 256 up for £90 sterling but i dotn know where he gets it from.

seems like and excessively good deal.

its adsl and its 25:1 connection ratio (2mb)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I reckon if we triallists started pimping out our DSL we'd be millionaires within a month.

Seriously though, do not come to Ireland if you need a decent Internet connection.

Advertisement