Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game controller card

• 06-03-2001 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hello people.
    I just got a new Gateway, but I found to my horror that its soundcard has no bloody joystick port. And Game cards seem to be impossible to find. I have checked itdirect and dabs but dont know any other good stores?.
    That said are game cards any good do the help or can they cause problems?.

Furez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is it an actual card in the machine? Could be on the mo-bo...

Not a man for game cards meself but SB64 has a good rep....

Alo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm presuming u have an onboard soundcard. I'd say buy a new soundcard with the game port as a game card is quite rare these days.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

No Gandalf Its a bloddy PCI sound card. Cant believe GW would be so cheap. Well mabye I can. I bet game gards are more common than the POS sound card they gave me smile.gif.

Furez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can get a Creative SoundBlaster PCI 128 with game port for about 20 quid. Its the card I use - nothing special but it sounds fine to me smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lads, wandering here but how much is an SB AWE64 Value (ISA) worth now? ...

Squids, or do I charge the guy a couple of cans? wink.gif

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ROFLOL Jesus they have really gone down the drain since I left them years ago smile.gif

Gandalf.

Followed Stepens advice. Got a cheapo 128 not too worried about super sound quality, but It sounds fine to me too smile.gif.

Furez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

In fairness, I can't fault the PCI 128 on sound quality - its pretty good - It just doesn't have those extras a lot of other cards have - such as EAX or A3D support. It does however have wavetable midi, but since MIDI is fairly dead these days that's not worth much smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Or get a USB gamepad

God in Himmel. I Had to replace the modem in the GW system too. The new one couldnt get connected above 45 the lucent from the old machine connects @ 50-52,pings in Counterstrike seemed crappier than normal too.But Oh man having an amd 1.2GH machine really is nice after struggling wit a crappy P350 Voodoo2 setup. Luckily The GW modem fitted the old puter that Im handing down smile.gif.

Furez

• Advertisement
Advertisement