Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Question

• 05-03-2001 6:34pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This one's really wrecking myself and kayos' head and causing much distress in the house!

There's 2 of us connecting to a hub and that's cool. The n/w cards are all good and groovy and the hub's behaving itself too.

My machine's running 98 SE and 2000 Pro. The other's running ME.

Initially, we couldn't see one another over the network, so we checked the obvious like workgroups, assigned IP addresses of 100.100.100.1 /.2 and a Subnet of 255.255.255.0. The machines still won't see one another. When kayos reboots, and before ME finishes loading on his machine, I can see the workgroup he's a part of and see his machine (but can't browse it). Then when ME finishes loading, I get kicked off the network and I can't see anything (not even the workgroup on the network).

I booted into 2000 and we can see each other and play games with lurvely 8 - 10 pings smile.gif But, when we try to leech from our hard drives, we're getting connections worse than a Surf No Limits dialup in Mayo (which is pants to say the least).

We've got Netbui, TCP/IP and I think IPX going and the protocol's are definitely assigned to the network adapters. Initially, we didn't have Netbui and we had nothing doing at all.

It's really wrecking my head cause the games (only AOE 2 so far - that uses Windows for all it's stuff afaik) are fine.

Any thoughts/suggestions/further info I need to submit?

Sonic - if only we'd known you were in Galway last week!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Em from the sounds of it, .... im not sure really how you have things set up, so i'll give it to ya from scratch as I have waaaaaaaaay to much time on my hands :-D

Okays

Step 1:
    Make sure that you are both on the same workgroup (start -> control panel -> Networking -> Identification)
    Make sure they are the same.

Step 2:
    Assuming that you managed to make a connection already (play games and that) im assuming that the cables and hub are sound., so the next thing is to make sure that you both have the same protocals, first off you dont need IPX/SPX .. its rubbish, lose it. All you need is

Client for Microsoft Networks
    Your network card
    TCP/IP
    NetBEUI
    File and Printer Sharing

(dont forget, if you are using a modem to dial up you will have a Dial Up adapter, so dont remove that, or you could temporarily remove it)

Now make sure in TCP/IP that you have your IP's set differently
    i.e.
    Computer 1:Set the ip to 10.0.0.1
    Computer 2:Set the ip to 10.0.0.2

etc

Make sure that WINS resolution is disabled.

Step 3:
    Reboot both machines and log on at the log on screen (dont press escape because it causes problems with the use of net.exe which is an executable that windows uses.

Reboot the machine ...

Step 4:
    Go into My Computer and right click on your C: and goto sharing, Enable sharing and MAKE SURE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD that you put a password on the share, otherwise script kiddies will be able to access your hard drives whilst you are connected to the internet, which isnt funny.

Hopefully at this stage everything should be working, of course im a bit tired today so my heads not fully screwed on, so I cant 'think' of anything else, if i do think of something else which might be causing it i will post onto the boards,

also try

Click start -> run -> "Winipcfg.exe"
    and see if you are getting the IP's youve set and anything else that might help.

But to be honest I reckon since you have IPX in there it may be the cause of the problem..

Good luck !

P.S. mail me rento@eircom.net if you are still stuck and i might be able to think of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Dav,
    I might be able to get over there on Wednesday, and have a look. How many ports do you have on yer hub? Is it switched? Is it a 10 meg or 100? It's time to organise:

RODLAN!

Hail To The Rod, Baby.

Jaden.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rob - you are any mother's dream!

Renton my man - thanks for that, but we've done all that frown.gif
    I'll try removing IPX again and see if it makes a difference.

The hub is a 5 port 100 meg (with an Uplink port) and both cards are 100 meg. I don't think it's switched.

Anyway, you have my number Rob, gimmie a shout maybe this evening or tomorrow and we can Lan up and Rod away smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've had this problem before at the last LAN i was at.. (ppl could leech off mine at network speed, i and several others couldnt) and would be very interested if you get an answer...
    So make sure to fill us in if you find out smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

From the network properties Double click the File&Print Sharing service (The actual white-box listed service, not the boxes at the bottom). Select Browse Master, and set one machine to Enabled, one disabled. Reboot both, let the Enabled come up first, then the other. After one or 2 succesful boots it should 'remember' who's who and the order won't be as important.

Also perhaps set the Gateway for each card to it's own IP address. Sounds wierd but it sometimes helps (Especially if you have Dial up Adapter installed, sometimes windows just keeps trying the wrong device, even virtual, and then going to your NIC 2nd).

As a last resort use the ROUTE command to add a static route to the other card.
    Eg. If you're on 100.100.100.2 go to a command prompt and type
    "Route ADD 100.100.100.1 100.100.100.2"
    which would tell the system that to get to x.x.x.1 it has to go through x.x.x.2

Renton, ROFL, no offense mate it just reminds me of every mail I've sent to Eircom tech support - you tell them what you've done and they send you a nice optimistic mail telling you to do the same things..... wink.gif
    Not saying my answer is any better mind.

• Advertisement

Cheers Creed - will try that (there's nothing there I've tried before) - but what were you doing up at 6:15 this morning!?!?!?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Decay

cant paste! grrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Decay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    This one's really wrecking myself and kayos' head and causing much distress in the house!

There's 2 of us connecting to a hub and that's cool. The n/w cards are all good and groovy and the hub's behaving itself too.

My machine's running 98 SE and 2000 Pro. The other's running ME.

Initially, we couldn't see one another over the network, so we checked the obvious like workgroups, assigned IP addresses of 100.100.100.1 /.2 and a Subnet of 255.255.255.0. The machines still won't see one another. When kayos reboots, and before ME finishes loading on his machine, I can see the workgroup he's a part of and see his machine (but can't browse it). Then when ME finishes loading, I get kicked off the network and I can't see anything (not even the workgroup on the network).

I booted into 2000 and we can see each other and play games with lurvely 8 - 10 pings smile.gif But, when we try to leech from our hard drives, we're getting connections worse than a Surf No Limits dialup in Mayo (which is pants to say the least).

We've got Netbui, TCP/IP and I think IPX going and the protocol's are definitely assigned to the network adapters. Initially, we didn't have Netbui and we had nothing doing at all.

It's really wrecking my head cause the games (only AOE 2 so far - that uses Windows for all it's stuff afaik) are fine.

Any thoughts/suggestions/further info I need to submit?

Sonic - if only we'd known you were in Galway last week!!!

</font>
    Guys simplify

Net bios and tcp/ip problems are separate.

TCP/IP first

on each machine set your ipa addresses as free, ie. anywhere between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.255.255 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0

on each machine at the dos prompt ping 127.0.0.1 (the loopback address). if this pings out reinstall tcp/ip

assuming this is ok ping the other machine

if all this works then network is ok and tcp/ip is set up right

Netbios is non routable so setting your netbios over tcp/ip using 100.100.100.1 on a 255.255.255.0 subnet is asking for trouble.

stay in 192.168.*.* region

dont worry about browsing the network.

map a share to the other pc assuming that the other machine has a shared resource (folder etc)

If that works then your browsing issues are due to w2k winning the browser election and other clients remembering the election.

try that lot out first and let me know

JWT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In your directory (something like this, changes depending on operating system)

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\

there is a file called HOSTS. Edit that file and put in the name and IP of both machines (do on both machines). If you can't find the directory do a search for HOSTS.SAM, think that is always in W98

Go into your network settings and enable LMHOSTS.

Also another thing you might try is to avoid the browser altogether. Go to Start->Run and type \\machinename\sharename

make sure you have file sharing enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

All you really need is tcp/ip. remove netbui (I've always found it slows things down) Also setup internet sharing on the Win2k computer, set the IP address to 192.168.0.1 and a class C subnet (255.255.255.0), and set the other computer to use DHCP. Then if you have to reboot the two comps (make sure the 2k comp boots first) once the two comps are up go to start->run (on the win2k) type cmd when the command window comes up, type ipconfig (do the same with the ME comp but you may have to replace cmd with command) Now try to ping the comps from each other. once your done with that, you could try to see the other computer in the workgroup. if you still cant, you can map a network drive to it. from the ME computer if toy want to give you mate Admin access with out sharing out your drive. is to right click on my computer and select map network drive, now taking that your computer is called Kharn map a drive as follows:

\\Kharn\c$

Logon as:

Administrator

If ME uses a Admin account you can do the same. (its just so you don't have to make a new share and add a password that some 2bit hacker could get into over the net.) (this way you only use the admin pass which should be hard to get) remember you don't share out your drive. this is a default share that all windows computers seam to have (NT based ones anyway)

hope this helps some what

Ps....to enable internet sharing just go to the prop of your net connection and the sharing, this will also auto set the IP address to 192.168.0.1 (this is now a DHCP server btw)

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

[This message has been edited by sutty (edited 08-03-2001).]

• Advertisement

OK - we got it sorted and we're leech tastic wink.gif

Kealan installed 2000 and that solved it! Bizare or what? Now he can't uninstall ME!!!

One more thing - in my 98 partition, I've installed my Modem (External Pace Gamer), but it wasn't added as an adapter in the Network bit in Control Panel and I can't add it manually. The modem works fine in 2000, so I can get online at least, but all my games are installed on 98 and not 2000.

This is most definitely a pain in the bum frown.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

[honey i] violated [the kids]

Advertisement