Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc 2 Notebook network?

• 11-03-2002 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

I have done pc2pc many times but could someone please go step by step through the procedure to get my notebook and pc to see each other.
    Are pcmcia network cards different?

im lost..:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Once your notebook network card works, there is no difference, and you should draw on your knowledge of pc to pc networking. Perhaps if you gave a description of your problem it would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

The problem is that they dont network.
    i cant ping each machine, they are not visible on the network.

Maybe my pcmcia card is not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭byrnenj

Firstly, check to see if the network card is working.
    If it is then, are you using a crossover cable or a hub or what?
    What OS are you using. If win ME is on one of the machines then you might have to install home-networking on the other if that olne isn't ME. Check all the TCP/IP settings and make suree that you haven't specified anything. Just select Use DHCP server in the wins resolution tab.

if the still don't show up, try refresh a few times and after that try type in \\PCname in the run line in the start menu. Sometimes the just don't show up in the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wouldn't he need a DHCP server on the network in order to get an IP address using that method?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Most moden OS systems use APIPA, where if no dhcp server is available, the client self configures an address in the 169.254.x.x range with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

Thus if you have a peer 2 peer netword on DHCP, they will all be in the same subnet, and can talk to each other without a DHCP server. APIPA is meant for nonrouted small network environments

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Xterminator
    Most moden OS systems use APIPA, where if no dhcp server is available, the client self configures an address in the 169.254.x.x range with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0

Thus if you have a peer 2 peer netword on DHCP, they will all be in the same subnet, and can talk to each other without a DHCP server. APIPA is meant for nonrouted small network environments

X

For reference, there are three chunks of IP address space that you're allowed use for "private" networks; that is, they're not allowed to be assigned to any machine connected to the internet. 169.254.xxx.xxx is not one of them, so if this network is ever to be connected to the internet, you must either set your NAT carefully, or (more simply) choose IPs in one of the following ranges:

10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Is that a setting in Windows then? Because I've never seen it work and I use W98/W2k/NT/Linux at various times to connect.
    Originally posted by Xterminator

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Yes the cable is crossover, no hub setup.
    The notbook is indeed WinME but how do i check to see if home networking in installed?

I was under the impression that this would be as simple as specify ip's/subnets and make sure the workgroups are the same and then turn on printer and file sharing and away i go...

I can't remember exactly, but if you go into the network neighbourhood in win ME, there should be something in the called Home Networking or something to that effect. If you run that it will allow you to make a disk that installs it on the other machine ( assuming that the other machine is not ME ), so that the laptop can see the desktop.

don't bother setting up IP's and all that stuff. The OS will automaticly assign them for you, so you don't have to worry about that.

I should basicly be plug and play but ME is a little messed up.
    I have a PC on ME at home and laptop on win 98 and my pc runs win2k. For some reason they take about 10 minutes to start seeing each other properly.

I found that the fastest way to get the to see each other is to go to START -> RUN then type in //pcname ( whatever the network ID you have assigned the pc/laptop is).

Did you make the cable yourself? If so check the RJ45 connections again and make sure the wires are crossed correctly.

Best of luck!

sorry that should have been \\pcname and not //pcname....it makes a difference!

• Advertisement
Advertisement