Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Trees

Options
  • 11-03-2002 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I'm a real big apple fan- [the fruit and city:)]

Is it true that if you plant an apple core in the ground it "should" blossom as an apple tree eventually- Obvioulsy with the requisite TLC

AFAIK, apple trees are quite expensive so would this be possible?

Thx in Advance

80p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

In theory yes, as long as your a very patient man.

On the downside, most apple trees are actually two trees grafted together, a particularly virulent rootstock, grafted to the apple tree of your choice.

Grown from seed, you may also find that your particular apple tree isn't well suited to our beautiful Irish climate.

If you really want a tree that will produce fruit, I'd damn the expense(they're not that bad) and buy one.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Most of the apple trees in garden centres are grafted onto an MM106 rootstock. This is a semi-dwarfing / semi-vigorous rootstock that suits most average garden conditions i.e. a good balance between plant size and fruit yield.
    Price for these is approx. €20 (fruit is zero rated for V.A.T.)

If space is very restricted, there are other options. Certain varieties can be grown in containers e.g. on patios, terraces, balconies etc.
    Have a look here for more info on these; www.coronet.ie
    These are the usual varieties but in a very compact form.

Also, some varieties of apples are (partially) self-fertile so again if space is restricted, you need only plant one tree and will still get fruit (most others need 2 trees to cross-pollinate – some need 3)

By the way, the trees at €20 would most likely bear some fruit this year but for the sake of the development of the tree, it would be better to remove this fruit shortly after it has set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thx lads

I'm familiar with the Coronet Trees alright- My sister bought one for my Dad last year- and it blossomed quite niceley last year with about 10 apples- they only grow to about 4 or 5 feet AFAIK

Although I think she paid about £100 for that- which is a bit much for someone not "that" interested.

Thx for the info...I must look into it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I planted an apple seed when I was a child, now the tree's as big as the house. Past five years or so we've been getting fruit on it. First it was crab apples but last year and the year before it had plums. I kid you not, it had green fruits the size and shape of plums with a stone inside them! Some sort of cross-pollenation maybe? Or maybe Sellafield is a bigger problem than I thought!

Anyway I remember my uncle told me at the time that in fifteen years it'd be bigger than the house and I didn't believe him. True enough though, 15 years on it's a huge big thing!

Advertisement