Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any suggestions where to get reasonable insurance for a motorbike...

Options
  • 11-03-2002 6:15pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been driving for some years now, but its really starting to get to me trying to do so in Dublin... so I've decided to start looking at alternative means of getting around..

I've been looking at getting a bike for sometime, but never really knew where to look or what to look for. In the last year I've started finding out the relevant info regarding decent 125cc bikes, beginner courses, licences and all that, but somehow a decent insurance quote seems very hard to get as they seem to spot me coming a mile away being the bike novice that I am and then try to rip me off with a rediculous quote.

I'm 27, driving since I was 19, have a 2 years no claims bonus, and a full licence...

Can anyone give me some advice on where to go to get a half decent quote..

Any suggestions as whats a good bike to start with will also be apprerciated... I've been looking at the Honda Varadero 125... very striking looking bike, and something that style I find very appealing.. but like I said, I'm a novice so some advice for those more experienced would be appreciated... thanks..

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Hibernian is the only Insurance company in ireland at the moment. There was Carole Nash but they went belly up so what ever they quote u thats it's, and belive me you they know a monopoly when they c it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'm starting to believe it...

I've only gone through Insurance brokers so far... and I was hoping to go directly to the Insurance company to cut out the middle man and hopefully save a few quid.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, unless your full licence covers motorcycles, it won't make much different to a quote for bike insurance. Afaik, the same goes for your driving experience and NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Go for a crusier type and insurance is cheaper. I'm 30 on a prov. bike licence and I'm paying €500 on a VN400 with Carole Nash.
    Incidently, my commute from home to work is 1 and a half hours in car and 25mins on motorbike. It's the only way to get around Dublin.

I'm 19, 2nd provisional bike license and driving a Virago 125 - its costing me about 1000 euros a year for insurance :(

I love my bike though :)

I shudder to think how much it would cost me to insure a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

and give Aon a ring... you'll probably get a few quid off the insurance rather than going directly thru hibernian...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭wee man

You should go to www.bikeworld.ie insurance is fairly cheap there
    for all ages and types of bikes.
    :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Can that be right..??? IR£385 fully comp on a Group 2 bike with a provisional licence...

I must be seeing things.. :eek:

I'm guessing you're over 25 then? :)

It'd cost my ould lad about 200 euro a year to be insured on a shiny new group2 bike. Bastard :)

Yup... just turned 27... have a car and have every intention of keeping it, but never use it during the day in Dublin...

I'm lucky enough that I am only a 30 - 40 min walk to work... which is fine as long as its not p**sing down with rain... but unfortunately with the weather in this country thats a frequent event...

So its time to get a bike... and if that insurance is true, I might be getting one sooner than I think... nice one.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 puzz131

im 18,2nd provisional and 1 no claims bonus
    quote for varadero 125 =1854.73 off aon
    you can get a instant quote online at www.aon.com
    but dont ever quote one place and take it
    try carole nash
    aon,hibernian quin direct (new)supposed ta be very cheap
    and dont be afraid ta bargain hard
    i bought my var 125 yesterday 4thsep and cant wait to be back on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

5 years too late with your advice :D

nice bump!!!

Advertisement