Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

all the files on my c drive have disappeared

• 11-03-2002 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am in trouble yet again : all the files on my c drive have disappeared. Is there anyway getting them back or am I a lost cause where computers are concerned?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Uh, this may be a stupid question but are you using the computer with the missing files...now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Yes - Don't worry it is not a virus. I think it was some type of corrupted page I downloaded from the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

your going to have to give us a bit more information than that to solve this one im afraid :)

I doubt its every single file, otherwise you couldn't have booted the machine or windows to discover that fact.

Where have they disappeared from? when you click on My Computer then the C: Drive nothing shows up?

Only thing i can think of for the latter reason is all your files have become hidden.. in which case do the following:

go to Start->Run and type command.

run the following to check to see how many files are hidden on the drive: (im sure theres an easier way though)

dir /ah /s

if the total at the end of that equals the total at the end of:

dir /s

then all your files are hidden.. run the following to reset them all:

attrib -h c: /s

that will reset all non-system files to being visible again.

then again it could just be a problem with windows explorer... god knows what, although considering your recent IE problems i wouldn't be surprised :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

bah .. after me bothering to write all that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

what o.s r u using?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I think he's pulling our legs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

If you can remember the name for any of your files that has dissapeared i would suggest either :

1. Click on start, find, files or folders, then type the name of the file and click on search. See if it can locate it.

2. Click on start, run, type "command" and click ok (this will bring up a dos window) Then type "cd \", and then type dir "name of file" /s . This will also search for your file.

In either case if it brings up any results take note of the location of the file , open up windows explore and browse to that location.

Hope that helps somewhat. You were a little scarce on details so i'm prolly talking rubbish.

MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I suggest a format of your C: drive*, that should sort it.

* not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

It is a problem with a well kmown anti virus package. I lost all my files - but they did not contain too much. I'll try some of the above. I am sort of computers adverse at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Get yourself a file restore utility like Norton Rescue etc.. should be able to recover them

• Advertisement
Advertisement