Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attack Of the Clones new Trailer

• 12-03-2002 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I was pretty disappointed with the new trailer, it shows a lack of imagination in the story, dialogue, and use (overuse) of cgi. So just wondering how many people are still going to see it or if they have a different opinion...

Are you going to see AOTC? 11 votes

yes, ATOC is l33t
    0% 0 votes
    no, ATOC looks lame
    81% 9 votes
    yes, it doesn't look good but I'll go watch it anyway
    18% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I dont quite know...

It's a fact that Star Wars will *NEVER* live up to its former glory.
    But I say it could be enjoyable.

At the least, it's not going to be as downright bad as The Phantom Menace.

I forget who exactly said this, but some sentiment about the Jedi War was "Mental patients set loose in a glow wand factory."

It my suprise me, but my expectations are indeed very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Seems to me that attack of the clones is just a copy from Romeo and Julliet in Space.

And thank god they got rid of the boyband! my god what were they thinking? that will probably tell you a lot about the company that creates the movie that they might have lost touch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The new films are quite different to the original trilogy, but I reckon in ten or twenty years that all six will be viewed as a whole and people won't be as dismissive about the "new" three as they presently are.

When I first saw "The Phantom Menace", I have to say that I was quite disappointed, but the film has grown on me, and I find myself watching it nearly every time it is repeated on Sky Premier (along with episodes IV, V and VI).
    I suspect the same will happen with episode II.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

The first 3 had that cult retro look that the new films just cannot achieve, with there stream line special effects.
    Sounds like its gonna be a heap of hello magazines to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

can you download the trailer?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Irish_Ranger_IR
    can you download the trailer?

No.

I tried with the first trailer, but when I tried to watch it offline it came up with an error saying something like "streamed content required"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

TOO MUCH CGI - I like when they used models , it gave more of a sense that this is real - it just looks so fake - to me it looks like Final Fantasy , I mean I like that film but its not right for starwars - it puts me off.

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    TOO MUCH CGI - I like when they used models , it gave more of a sense that this is real - it just looks so fake - to me it looks like Final Fantasy , I mean I like that film but its not right for starwars - it puts me off.

I agree.

Also, I saw some of the making of the Phantom Menace, and when the actors were talking to Jar Jar, they were just acting to air.
    How could you possibly give the same performance with nothing in front of you (even if it is a puppet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

A friend of mine says CGI is great for enhancing scenes but when they use it to take over completely they've lost the plot.

That sense of realism is lost, take the mummy for example - when he is fighting all the mummies he is dancing around hitting thin air in reality , on screen he is suppose to be hitting mummies - it doesn't look convincing at all.

Bring back those dodgy pupets and models!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 chunk 3:16

i am sure im not the only one out
    there but i just cant wait till may to
    see episode 2 it just looks so ****ing
    sweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Frenzy
    The first 3 had that cult retro look that the new films just cannot achieve, with there stream line special effects.
    The first 3 each had ground-breaking special effects in their day.

Star Wars is generally recognised as the first movie to make the successful move from stop-mation (as seen in Clash of the Titans) to blue-screen and matting. It revolutionised the sfx industry.

The sfx in each of the first 3 movies blew me away when I saw them in the cinema during the original releases, because although flawed, they were incredible compared to those used in other movies of the day.

It is only with 10-20 years of technological advancement that we look back and say "cool retro look".

It isnt retro. Its old. When it came out, it was cutting edge (even allowing for the shoestring budget the first movie was made on) in many ways. Only now does it look dated, because, quite simply, it *is* old.

You want TPM to look retro and old? Go back to it in 10 or 15 years, and see how quaint and dated the sfx look then.
    Originally posted by EvilGeorge

take the mummy for example - when he is fighting all the mummies he is dancing around hitting thin air in reality , on screen he is suppose to be hitting mummies - it doesn't look convincing at all

Thats funny, because models were always matted in after the scene was shot as well, meaning that they suffer the exact same problem. In fact, with CGI-assisted you can be far more realistic. Have a look at the Making Of for the Mummy 2, and see how they did it.They went so far as to make sure eye-contact was maintained in some scenes. The biggest problem with both Mummy movies was that the studios rushed the release date, requiring incomplete work to be done on some of the more difficult scenes.

As for the whole "complete CGI loses the plot"....the simple fact is that complete-CGI gives you the ability to do shots that previously were impossible, or were simply too cheesy.

Ep1 took some time to grow on me, but now I think its pretty good. I'm hoping for good things from the second.

Of course, I have yet to see anyone who was looking forward to Ep2 turn around and say "I've seen the trailer and changed my mind". People have been predisposed not to like it, and surprise surprise are coming out in droves to say how theyre not surprised. How many people here actually waited for the trailer before passing judgement?
    nd thank god they got rid of the boyband! my god what were they thinking?
    That having a bunch of celebs appear briefly as extras in a large scene where you'd really have to know what to look for to see them was no big deal, but that the publicity gain would be massive. Unfortunately, too many blithering idiots kicked up a fuss. Tell me honestly - when is the last time you even bothered to look and see who the extras in a Star Wars movie was? Did you check the hall during the awards ceremony at the end of the first movie to see if they had snuck anyone you didnt like in there? If not, then what the hell was the problem, because they were talking about something of a similar scale. Fans of hte band would have loved it, gone to see the movie, bought the DVD, and picked out their heroes. The rest of us wouldnt have even noticed unless we went out of our way to get pissed off.

I notice, also, that there was no outcry when Bono was being touted for a role in the movie. Guess its okay to have famous extras as long as its not a boy band.

Sheesh. Whatever happened to just going to a movie and enjoying the damned thing?

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Frenzy

The first 3 each had ground-breaking special effects in their day.
    Yes I agree.
    Yet episode one tried to look so realistic it looked fake.
    How they did it I dont know.

I'm just gonna have to wait till it comes out to make a proper judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

All those multicoloured light sabres make it look like a Gay Pride parade.

And Anakin looks kinda gay too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

ill reserve my judgement for when i see the finished film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by Samson

I agree.

Also, I saw some of the making of the Phantom Menace, and when the actors were talking to Jar Jar, they were just acting to air.
    How could you possibly give the same performance with nothing in front of you (even if it is a puppet).

Almost all scenes with Jar Jar were filmed with Ahmed Best in full jar jar costume (minus ears). He was replaced by the CGI jar jar in post production. The original idea was to have just jar jar's head done with CGI however ILM found it easier (and cheaper) to do the whole body afterwards.

However you are right that the phantom menace does feature some very flat performances throughout which could certainly be attributed to Lucas' overuse of Computers. Most scenes were done in one or two takes with Lucas "fixing" performance problems with digital editing techniques in post production.

Advertisement