Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign coinage!

Options
  • 12-03-2002 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

anyone gotten any non-Irish €uros? i got a few german one's last weekend :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by azezil
    anyone gotten any non-Irish €uros? i got a few german one's last weekend :cool:

Yeah... German, French and Dutch I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

All the French, a few German and a few Spanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

One thing people should watch out for is old European coins, ie the old 10 F coin looks the exact same as the €1 coin.

Got burned with 2 of them last weekend in pubs in Dublin.

Bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I reckon it's only a matter of time before the whole lot's interchangeable. I've got some German and some Spanish, but only the one or two euro coins, nothing smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    I reckon it's only a matter of time before the whole lot's interchangeable.
    They have always been interchangeable, hence the term 'common currency'.

I got a Belgian 20c coin, meant to keep it, but, eh, it got spent.

I'm surprised how many countries don't have the country name on them. I think it's only us, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and France that do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

i got this one but was suffering withdrawl symptoms in work from lack of nicotine - so into the machine she went!!

it2e.gif

it was the italian 2 euro coin - cool huh!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

sorry to double post but - if you come across these - dont spend them - evidently there rare:

va2e.gif
    the vatican coins (EUR 2 coin featured )

and

sm2e.gif
    Saint Martin coins

both are pretty destinctive - so hand on to them if you get any - you could sell them on ebay!!?!!?!

click her to find out more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Got a few Austrian ones today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The Conquistadores must be up to their old tricks again...
    Hence the 5 Spanish coins I just found in my jacket!!

And they have the 1999 date stamp as well-
    if you remember that confused a Dublin bus Driver who wouldn;t let some poor fella onto the bus 'cos he thought they were forgeries !!

Originally posted by Victor

I'm surprised how many countries don't have the country name on them. I think it's us Luxembourg, The Netherlands and France.

We do have our name on there!!

specific.CountryCoinPar.SingleIECoincd2.SpecificFaceImage.gif

See... Eire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

We've a shop here and we've got pretty much every coin from all the countries.

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    We do have our name on there!!See... Eire
    Tell us something we don't already know!

boards.ie/vbulletin > Society > Business / Economy > Foreign coinage!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

We do have our name on there!!

specific.CountryCoinPar.SingleIECoincd2.SpecificFaceImage.gif

See... Eire

He never said we didn't? Givus a bit of that stuff your smoking lately Dr.Loon will ya.

Originally posted by Blade

He never said we didn't? Givus a bit of that stuff your smoking lately Dr.Loon will ya.

Am I insane or are you right?
    I'm surprised how many countries don't have the country name on them. I think it's us Luxembourg, The Netherlands and France.

Does that word in bold there not say us? The sentence again is "I think it's us Luxembourg, The Netherlands and France, and the subject of the statement is how many countries don't have their name on them!!?!? :confused:

Well, someone tell me, am I insane?

'tis Ok, we are all a bit mad anyway, sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Ive got a German coin with an eagle on the back and a spainish coin with somebody who I think is Magellan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

just got one, no country of origin specified, has this image on the back of it. I suppose it's Italian.

Gladly donated some of my Irish ones in Italy and brought some of theirs back.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by azezil
    just got one, no country of origin specified, has this image on the back of it. I suppose it's Italian.

tis italian alright, oh and doctor loon I think your man meant that them countries have their countries names on the coins, gramatically it was confusing but if you take for granted that he would have known that Ireland coins have the country name on it, the rest falls into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

iv come across a good few in work (bookshop) and i think i have some from every country except luxembourg, portugal, greece and finland. the german eagle €2 are pretty cool with the writing around the side of it where there are normally just stars and 2's (i think!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I just got one with a big ass bird on it! where's that from :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Baz_
    tis italian alright, oh and doctor loon I think your man meant that them countries have their countries names on the coins, gramatically it was confusing but if you take for granted that he would have known that Ireland coins have the country name on it, the rest falls into place.
    The Italian and French coins have 'RI' and 'RF' on them, if you look, denoting "Republica Italiana" and "Republic Frances" respectively.

The most rare are likely to be those from the principalities - the Vatican, San Marino, Andorra, Monaco and (after a fashion) Luxembourg.

ayatollah: FYI, the chap on the Italian 2 Euro coin you had is Dante Alighieri, who wrote 'La Divina Comedia' (the Devine Comedy).

azezil: The 'Big Ass Bird' is the German Eagle. Looks more like a turkey to me, though...

Advertisement