Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally - beef in guinness & orange recipe

Options
  • 12-03-2002 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

This one is a cracker. The combo sounds a bit weird, but Ive yet to make it for someone who didnt like the end result.

I got the recipe from my sis, and elthough I have it on paper, I'm gonna type it in verbatim, cause it shows how easy the whole affair is.

BTW - you'll notice that this isnt a million miles from teh G&B pie recipe I added recently. You could easily make a pie out of this too, if you simmered a bit longer....

2oz plain white flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp grated or ground nutmeg

Mix together. Use this to coat 2lb stewing steak, cut into cubes.

Fry in 1.5 tbl oil, + 1/2 oz butter to seal.
    Once sealed, remove and put on a plate.

Same amount of oil & butter again
    Use to fry 2 large onions (chopped), and 2 clove of garlic (crushed).

After 5 mins, add 1 tsp brown sugar. Stir lots.

Feck beef back in, along with a good ol' pint o porter, juice of one orange, and the zest of same. And a bay-leaf or three.

Bring to boil. Turn don to a simmer. Cover. Cook for 1.5 - 2 hours, stirring every so often, until beef is tender.

Remove Bay Leaf

Serve.

Gobble with Gusto.

Now, I usually find I need to add a touch more sugar at the end.

Quorn only takes about 15-20 minutes cooking time, so if you're a veggie, follow the abofe recipe, only dont add the quorn when adding the guinness, bay-leaves etc. Add it about 20 minutes from the end. The guinness still needs the same amount of simmering time to reduce, and to cook the onions in nicely.

I usually serve this with nice creamed spuds, but you can probably serve with chips or whatever starch-provider you prefer.

If anyone is interested, by the way, I have another chunk of recipes lying around on disk which I use quite a lot. All easy, all really good. Let me know, and I'll post them.

Also, some mates and I put together a cookbook some time ago. If we ever get it turned from .DOC into respectable .HTML, I'll post a link as well.

jc

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Think I'll try that on Sunday (the beef version).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

where i work, there is a catarer who delivers the food to us every day. about a week ago he served that muck up, needless to say he wont be serving much up ever again.

All i can say was id rather suck week old socks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Cracking recipe.. the background of orange in the flavour really works..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Ah ha - the long awaited Guinness and Orange recipe!

Cheers bonkey, I'm going to attempt the veggie version very soon - I will let you know how it turns out.

/me turns up radio to drown out sound of stomach rumbling....

Advertisement