Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cable

• 09-03-2001 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

who has it and whats it like?
    i'm considering getting it.

thanks
    btw i know the price and i can get it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Then get it you lucky basterd

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

don't buy the cable off NTL
    they are theifs
    buy one off dobs.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

its well worth it! get it now. at the moment id spend maybe £20 a month on no-limits and probably another £8/£10 on peak calls. I normally get d/l rates of 4 k/s if im lucky and no limits is behaving itself, plus i ping 200 + usually to irish servers.....
    u have the opportunity to pay £50 a month which gives u completely unmetered access, fast browsing,d/l rates of 70 k/s and double figure pings to almost any server u want.
    why is it that your unsure?! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Oj, £250 for a modem, install and ethernet card seems decent

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    Oj, £250 for a modem, install and ethernet card seems decent</font>

musta went down
    used to be £300

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I was talking to a guy at ntl and he told me to expect cable when i see it.it will be late this year before they get it together
    </font>

They were going to cover Dublin in stages. It was supposed to take 3 years for the whole of Dublin. This was before their "review". In fact they took over a year to do just one small part of Tallaght. By "late this year" do you mean your area?

Don't listen to NTL. By promising to deliver broadband to Dublin, Waterford and Galway they obtained a licence to take money off people. Now they are welshing on their part of the bargain.

They should really be kicked out and a competant company brought in. I blame the ODTR.

Its defintely £250 and £50 a month.
    I could ring up tomorrow and order it if i wanted or had the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteLancer:
    Oj, £250 for a modem, install and ethernet card seems decent</font>
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Its defintely £250 and £50 a month.
    I could ring up tomorrow and order it if i wanted or had the money.
    </font>

Lies!!!
    They gave me a cable modem and network card for free, and didnt bill me for 3 months redface.gif

jesus carnivore get a fúcking clue. There upgrading in stagesd. He was in the first stage ffs

FFS after the announcemnet that they were halting, an ntl chap came around to my house andm asked us did we want it, after
    I unlike you, actually know wtf im talking about.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carnivore:
    jeus white get yourself a ****ing clue
    their doing nothing at the momment complete and told stand still you imbread hick.
    jesus did i not say he must have been one of the first to get it, so whats your ****ing point, a simple yes carnivore you are correct in what you say would be enough but noooooooooooooooooooooooo you have to talk ****e to me.
    </font>
    This speaks for it self, as if they were doing nothing they wouldnt have come around where i live seeing if people wanted to join. Every time i knock down one of your posts, your resonse is even more moroni than the previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">They should really be kicked out and a competant company brought in. I blame the ODTR.</font>

Rumours in the industry say that NTL were misled (deliberately?) about the state of the telecoms/cable infrastructure in Dublin when they took over, hence the massive delays. They've been doing a sterling job in the UK, it's hard to believe that they would be sh|t in Ireland without a good reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    Rumours in the industry say that NTL were misled (deliberately?) about the state of the telecoms/cable infrastructure in Dublin when they took over, hence the massive delays.</font>

I've heard this said as well. However, what they were planning in Dublin from the start was a complete upgrade to a two-way system. This would have required ripping out all the existing wire (none of which was capable of bi-directional communication) and replacing it with the higher grade cable. They would have known that they had to lay fiber to connect the nodes. They would have known all this when they bought the system.

They might have been caught out by staff shortages, NIMBYism, high contractor costs etc. None of this exempts them from their responsibilities, though.

I think they simply ran out of money and are simply using Ireland as a place to save money away from their higher profile home market. The financial markets won't lend money for this sort of project now.

They can get away with this here because, in Ireland, we're more dependant on cable than in Britain. In Britain, they need to offer extra services in order to gain penetration. There's a hugh demand here for their very basic service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Skeptic1 your right on a lot but
    eircom and RTE who own cablelink new that
    they were going to have to sell it years
    befor they did, so they did not spend money
    on the network leting it go to rune.
    (they know that first thing a cable company
    does is sell more TV channels(ie less
    watching RTE, and sell telphone lines, hiting
    eircom, so the two of them mand sure that the
    network woudl not be two way)
    then befor they sold the company to NTL they
    started adds for cable, this was back in 98
    when there was no way they could give it.
    they lied to NTL about the cable network
    NTL did not get to check out the network
    befor buying it. they bough it blind and
    found it much worse that they thought any
    cable company could be.

case of Eircom and RTE messing up ireland again

Coyote

Advertisement