Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yahoo mail problems

Options
  • 12-03-2002 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Getting an error 530 on connection to the Yahoo uk smtp server

Same on a number of machines (settings haven't been changed)

Using Outlook 2002/XP with an @yahoo.ie mail address

Meanwhile having same problem with the main yahoo smtp server with an @yahoo.com address

Know Yahoo changed their authentication settings lately.

Suggestions on the Yahoo site don't help as they just advise to tick the "my server requires authentication" box in settings. Doesn't outline which option to tick after that in Outlook2002 (OL2000 only has one option - on/off, OL2002 has a few more)

Tried all the combinations, must be summat I'm not doing.

Downloading mail works fine so no problem on the pop end

All help gratefully accepted etc, don't want to go back to OL2000, anything else that works, first-born in the post and all that

Thanks

Seamus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

In Outlook 2002, go to Tools > Email Accounts > View/Change Email Accounts. Highlight the Yahoo account and click 'Change'. Click on the 'More Settings' button. Click on the 'Outgoing Server' tab and it's the first option there.
    I guess you can select the "use same settings as my incoming server" option (I'm not at my XP machine so I can't test it). When I setup my Yahoo account in OE, the authentication box came up when sending and I just used my POP account name and password and it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thanks F_G

Didn't work either (though as you'll correctly point out, it bloody well should have)

Ended up just changing the smtp server to the IOL one - happily mailing away again.

Thanks for helping out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

That's odd. Did you select the "log on using" option and just enter the username/password?
    Was "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" selected by any chance?
    It could have been a server problem too, maybe :)

Advertisement