Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tualatin cpu on older boards!

Options
  • 12-03-2002 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

As I expected, some clever people have found a way to get the tualatin cpu's (celeron 1.0A - 1.3A, PIII 1.0A - 1.4) working on boards without the i815eb mch2 or via 694T chipsets.

The older chipsets would include i440bx, older versions of the i815, and the via 694x (apollo pro 133a).

Details here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=343972&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67417

All that is involved is insulating some pins, and connecting 2 others. Sounds daunting, but is not too bad.

Yes, the chip is running at 1.5 bus voltage instead of 1.25 (note this is NOT the core voltage, most modern boards will support the 1.45 - 1.5v core voltage)

Running with this higher gtl+ will reduce the lifespan, but if it lasts 6 months, I'll be happy.

I have an abit be6-2 (basically the slot 1 version of the bx133 raid, can even use the same bios, so I don't see a problem), and I'll be buying a celeron 1.2 methinks, around 150 euro, and a slotket. The wiring modifications can be done on the slotket so the chip won't even be modified.

Hopefully I will get it clocked at 1.6 ghz or higher (12 x 133). Apart from the advantage of not having to get a new board, the memory performance on the bx will be far superior to the i815, so overall performance should be pretty sweet. Also the chip runs nice and cool which means a quiet machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Jesus, and I thought everyone would be as interested about this as me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Not all of us have a new-ish 'spare' mobo lying around :)

Sounds bloody interesting, though it was inevitable.
    Played to whoever bothered to put the idea into practice

Its basically workable on any half decent bx board, as long as the voltage regulator will go down far enough, and has coppermine support in the bios. I have seen boards more than 2 years old with these capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Nice one Gerry

I have a celeron 11 633 on a sloket, o/cd to 950 on a gigabyte board. The new tualatin celeron has 256k cache, would it be correct to assume that performace would be on a par with 1.2 ghz Pentium 3?

Who is doing the best price on celeron 1.2's at the moment?

Vex

celeron 1.2 tualatin has the same or slightly better performance than a p3 coppermine running at 1200mhz.
    www.komplett.ie have em for around €130 , celeron 1.3 for an extra €7. (all including vat). Pretty sweet I reckon. btw, that is 30 euro cheaper than ocuk, even before you factor in ocuks stupidly expensive delivery charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

sounds insane, ill let you know how i get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Awhile ago i bought an old motherboard and celeron off a mate of mine, its an Abit AB-BH6, and has an intel 440BX chipset (as ive just learned).

Would this board support it gerry? If so would it be worth buying one of those 1.2 chips and scrapping my Athlon 750 (well not scrapping but using the 1.2 instead :) )

btw im well excited cause i bought the board and the jammy 450 cpu for a fiver rofl ;D

You ****ing ****. This board will support it, look at the second link again, read all the pages and you will find people with tualatins working on the bh6. It would only be running at 100fsb, though you could clock it up if you wanted. It would be worth it over the athlon, if you feel that the 750 is slow. HOWEVER, I would run the 450 on the bh6 for a while first just to make sure the board is 100% stable etc. I'll be getting a celeron 1.2 from komplett.ie in about 2 weeks (around 130 euro), if you want to go halves on the shipping give me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Originally posted by Gerry
    Pretty sweet I reckon. btw, that is 30 euro cheaper than ocuk, even before you factor in ocuks stupidly expensive delivery charges.
    and their stuff ships from Norway. placed an order for an upgrade kit & hd lunch time wednesday. got it yesterday at 5.30pm. cost me €8 for shipping and I got a discount on the total :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Powerleap are already selling the Celeron 2 supplied with their own slotket,which by passes the VRM on the motherboard and allows support for mobos whos VRM doesnt support the required voltages.Its called the PL-IP3/T and ships for around 149 sterling but as of yet I cant find anyone in the UK who will ship this item to Ireland.
    If anyone knows where I can get this product please tell me.
    www.powerleap.com

• Advertisement

Basically if your board can run the coppermine (ie it has a bios update to support it), its vrm will be capable of going down to 1.6volts, if not further. 1.6 volts will not kill a tualatin, its just slightly over the standard 1.475 - 1.5 volts.

What Sloket adapter seems to be the best one to use, it not clear from the links. I have one of the Asus slokets that one of the guys seems to be having problems with....

Who else apart from Gerry is going to try this?... what slockets are you going to use?

I fancy trying a 1.2ghz and running it as 133 FSB.

V.

I think the abit slotket II and III are supposed to be good (never needed a slotket before now so no first hand experience) Also the newer msi slotket is supposed to be grand. I'm gonna have a look at the different ones, and see which will be easiest to mod. Not sure what slotkets are sold in Ireland, probably only generic ones. Its a pity to have to ship something so small from england.

Id love to try it, but atm i don't have the money to blow on something that mightened work. Also, im new to overclocking and the likes :)

If you get it working gerry, slap up a review/tutorial and bench scores, id love to have a read ;)

Peats have a slot adapter for eur32, does not say what make.

Anyone know someone working there who might look up the details?... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by VacilatoR
    Id love to try it, but atm i don't have the money to blow on something that mightened work. Also, im new to overclocking and the likes :)
    I'll buy your board so ;)

vexorg, that peats yoke isn't worth a curse. Its for ppga celerons, not even for coppermine p3's :) Anyway, as you will find in those threads, 1 or 2 people used those adapters, but its an extra stage of modding, with loads of extra pins to connect.

asus slotket III here: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Overclocking_Accessories_27.html

generic one here:

http://www.itb-software.com/itbdirect/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=1927

I've emailed them asking for more details and could they order in a better one.

I have the asus slotket currently its running my celeron 633 @ 950 currently.

I think that is the slotket that is giving trouble in the original thread you mentioned.

I will re-read the thread again tonight.

V.

For how much dave? :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gerry I just got the PL-1P3/T slocket and the cpu will be with me on Tuseday but I have a small problem.The retention mechanism on my slot 1 does not seem to be compatible with the slocket!!!
    The type on mine consists of 2 screw-down l-shaped brackets which holds the cpu in by the heatsink(hard to explain but I hope you get my drift).The slocket does not fit into the retention mechanism but if i remove the 2 small brackets from the mobo everything seems fine.2 questions 1.Should I be ok without any retention mechanism?? and 2 If not can you buy the other type of retention brackets separate.And if you can where do I get them.Im reckoning I can get buy with a cable-tie around the slocket to secure it/keep it from moving with the revolutions of the fan.
    Any help would as always be appreciated.
    Thanks again!!!

• Advertisement

what make and model is your board.

did you go for the asus Slot 1 adapter?

Its a intel 440bx Tabor .The slocket is the powerleap pl-ip3/t ready made for the tualatin cpu.Its only the retention mechanism im concerned about.
    Thx

the 440bx aye, that would be a tabor 3 motherboard

for gateway i persume.

is this your motherboard
    400051003.jpg

heres the Bios update

anyway there is no reason why the adapter shouldnt fit. are you sure you have it in all the way, its a bite tight squeze to get them in and the brackets on top. what i did(ive the same board) was remove both brackets and then place them down on top once the cpu was in place fully.

yep thats the one alright.But what u are saying bout the retention mech is totally different than my board.Mine has 2 brackets which only go half way up the cpu.And the diameter accross will not allow the slocket to physically fit in.Its like the retention mech is for a cpu with only the back half of the cartridge attached to it(if you get my meaning.The retention mech has like 3 separate slots in it(looking down on it from above with no cpu in place)The diameter of these without the slots would allow the slocket to fit..1 for the cpu 1 for the heatsin and one which im not sure about.But anyway am i ok with no retention mech in place?????If I use say a cable tie to keep the slocket up right?

here is a picture of my retention mechanism.if you look closely you can see what i mean by the slots in it and so my slocket wont fit.

sorry, i dont know if its me but im finding your post hard to follow
    Mine has 2 brackets which only go half way up the cpu

yes that what mine has as well.

this is what it should look like right?

PLrig.gif

pleap_inst_2.jpg
    thats what it looks liek in.

if you have the powerleap model adaptor, then the brackets are not needed. so dont worry about them, they have no way of being used with this.

the locking ears at either end of the top of the PowerLeap module fit perfectly on the slot , and popping them outward locked the rig into the slot nicely

Originally posted by richie18
    here is a picture of my retention mechanism.if you look closely you can see what i mean by the slots in it and so my slocket wont fit.

yea grand, exact same as mine, forget them, remover them completely.

at the end of the day your the only one that can know if you need added support, see how firm the adaptor is in place, if the adaptor has locked in(some boards it might not) then your set, no need for an added support

Boston thank you very much.Eventually you got where I was coming from.There is no place for the"ears" on the brackets to match up with the powerleap adapter.So I got my question answered once and for all.I dont need the brackets so "remove them completely"Sorry bout the confusion but its hard to explain the shape of something in writing.But you got there.Maybe its my bad use of the english language.

Once again thanks a alot for the help.Im happy now.

your lucky we both have the same board. one question, were did you buy the adaptor, i was meaning to do this. you want to see some benchmarks i found.

• Advertisement

I bought it from BCS computers in The uk.
    00441925823355 is their number.39.95 STERLING Inc vat and delivery.There online ordering is messed up at the mo so you have to order by phone.They will ship it with or without the cpu.I ordered the cpu from CD SOFT in celbridge and its costing 140 EURO INCL VAT.2 days to get here.Ive seen most of the benchmarks and its surprising that it seem to out-do even a p3 1.0 gig in most tests.I ll have the cpu on tuesday and Ill install it that night.Ill let you know how I get on.
    Again thanks for the help on the prob last night.

Advertisement