Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tualatin cpu on older boards!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

my slot1 p3 heatsink wouldn't lock into the retention mechanism, after a few incidents of the cpu falling out on the way to lans, I now use paper clips to hold the two together.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gerry/Boston
    Just received my new celeron 1.2 and have now got it installed.Excellent results.By the way Boston I was right about the retention mechanism I had to use a cable tie to keep the upgrade from leaning over.It wouldnt post and I had a feeling that that was my problem.Everything is working 100% now.The only thing is the white cover on the cpu I had to leave off.Ithink its a vent for the main fan.Is it ok to leave it off or should I try to get it into place??????
    Any way just thought Id let you all know how it worked out.100% IMPRESSED with Fps and the like.Went from 40-50 in Castle wolfenstein with the frame rate limiter maxed out up to 150-160 with the new cpu.
    Again thx for the help.

good stuff richie, remember to tweak your memory settings to make sure the celeron can get maximum performance. You mainly want to make sure cas latency, ras to cas, and ras precharge (may be named slightly differently) are all set to 2. You can get more info on bios settings here:

http://www.itcp.net/~awsh/Speed_Demonz/New_BIOS_Guide/Index.htm

I'm still waiting on my asus slotket, I got a generic slotket, modded it and didn't work. Theres talk on the overclockers.com forums about a chip which all the working slotkets have, these are the abit, asus, iwill, msi, soyo (the decent quality ones). This chip is also to be found on the powerleap, and seems to be essential for this mod to work. Should have the asus tomorrow with any luck, I'll report back with results.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Gerry let us know how u get on.By the way did you see my previous post about the fan duct.Am I ok to leave it off?????

I don't know what heatsink you are using, so I'm presuming the white duct is a gateway/dell/compaq/hp duct for the old passive heatsink going to an 80/92 mm fan on the back of the case, or into the psu? Its fine to leave it off, though you might get slightly better cooling if you can find a way to get it back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Whats the difference between a Coppermine and a Tualatin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

coppermine was the .18 micron PIII, brought in to compete with the athlon, ran relatively cool, and featured on board L2 cache.

Tualatin comes in a couple of flavours, but is basically the code word for all 6th generation core's built on a .13 micron process (don't think the mobile version's fall in the same name, or do they?)

They can either be a PIII with 133 bus and 256k cache, a PIII with 133 bus and 512 cache, or a celeron with 256k cache on a 100 bus.

They are relatively expensive for the PIII version's as intel is trying to move the p4 into this area.

Tualatin's run very cool, and have a very small footprint die wise, their structure however limit's them from high clock speed's (the reason intel went with the p4).(they could be made to run at very high clock speed's it would require alot of R&D however, and the p4 with it's 20 stage pipeline achieve's it alot easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Are the CuMine D Step & Tualatin both built on the same .13 micron process?
    Copermine
    Copermine D Step
    Tualatin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

the celeron A and bx combo seems to be back with a vengeance!

i'm very very interested in this, tell us how you get on gerry, i'll more than likely be trying the same thing come the summer when i've got some cash to put an experiment computer together.

though the p4 A is also here, £163 sterling and it does 2400 Mhz or something ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

coppermine was the codename given to all PIII core's with 256k on die cache + built on .18 micron.

Unless Intel has changed their naming schemes. the D-Step should also be .18 micron. Other thing it could be is that either intel has decided that any .13 micron pII's with the same cache(256k) should still be called coppermine, and reserve tualatin for the 512k variety, would be an odd naming scheme though.

Haven't kept up with the p3's as closely since the willamette and Northwood arrived, along with palomino and thunderbird, not worth the time (unless you have an old board).

Gerry, would it not be a cheaper prospect at this stage to get an athlon board + duron/athlon XP ?

• Advertisement

Well does 140 euro buy you a decent athlon xp and board? I don't want to ditch my bx board for via.

I'm having major problems with this mod, but since I don't have an official tualatin board to test the cpu on, I don't know if the cpu is dead. I may just stump up the cash for the powerleap.

TBH Gerry you are better off with the powerleap adapter.Its a case of plug and play.Mind you mine was a bit unstable until I found that the problem was that I dasiy-chained it with my cd-rewriter.Kept crashing-just locking up and had to unplug the pc to get it restarted again.I even took off the heatsink and put on arctic silver thinking it was an overheating problem.Sorted it out when i gave it its own power supply rather than it sharing with another device.Working 100% now.

can you check your pm's richie, in the user cp? Thanks.

Gerry check yer Pm.

Advertisement