Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napster now.

• 10-03-2001 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

From napster.com :

Quite informational... and worthwhile reading for any users smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Is Napster going to block my account or only my files?
    Napster's file-filtering system focuses only on filenames. It does not associate blocked files with individual user accounts. However, Napster will continue to block access to account holders if they are identified by copyright owners as being repeat copyright infringers, as required by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

How do I know what files will be blocked?
    The file-filtering system is designed to impact your user experience as little as possible. If you have files in your shared folder as to which we have received a notice requiring us to exclude them, they simply will not show up on the Napster index as being available for sharing with other users. You will still be able to use those files yourself (playing them, organizing them, etc.), but you will not be able to share them through the Napster service.

What if some other files have the same names as blocked ones?
    One unfortunate drawback of the file filtering imposed by the Court is that it will result in the blocking of files that are authorized, based on naming convention confusion and duplicate names. Napster has asked the plaintiff record companies to cooperate in developing variations of song names and artists' names referring to a copyrighted work that is on the Napster service in order to limit the overbreadth of the screening process. We hope that as time goes on we can make the technology work better so as to insure that only works that we've received blocking notices on are blocked.
    </font>

right... seems like it wont affect me in the slightest then..

/me runs off to rename files.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hehe good thinking smile.gif
    people will soon be uploading the wrong songs off you biggrin.gif
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

uploads?
    not on my shift.
    or connection for that matter.

although I have noticed a few people on my hotlist have suddenly turned to the
    "track number" - "song title"
    approach to naming songs instead of using the artist or album names. smart guys (and gals, before the CS sexism squad get me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/15961.html

- sound familiar ?

take a piece of software and make a lower quality proprietary version of it... Allthough i hear that Micro$ofts mp3 file format is actually quite good.

proprietary file sharing software, proprietary mp3 format - is a lock in sneakin' up on the mp3 community ?

Is microsoft positioning itself to replace napsteresque services as a legal seller of online music?

scary thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

good article creed.

and yoss.. you can bet your ass that .wma and .asf will be at the heart of any venture by microsoft..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Up the revolution! ! ! ! ! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

so in other words there going to do what they said at the very start of napster when metalica tried to sue them . thats good . just put a dot in the middle of each song and your sorted . anyone know if elton john is going to sue them after all ????

Advertisement