Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars, Sci FI or Fantasy?

• 13-03-2002 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine says its Fantasy

Sci Fi or Fantasy 29 votes

Sci-Fi
    0% 0 votes
    Fantasy
    31% 9 votes
    Both
    20% 6 votes
    Trek Owns it
    48% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

It's actually sci-fi, or more accurately space opera. The sheer scope of the story, backgrounds/context and characters makes it more than just sci-fi, but not fantasy.

The correct way to describe this in my opinion is a space opera.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I personally think of it as just sci-fi , my idea of fantasy is the usual wizards, elves and all that garbage - the force dosent come close.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I say it's both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

its sci-fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

I feel that StarWars is both Fantasy and SciFi. Mainly because it uses elements from both genres. In my mind SciFi is fiction that could possibly happen. Where as Fantasy is fiction that couldn't ever ever happen in this universe without a serious chaes to known science.

StarWars is largly science fiction because a hell of a lot of it could happen. We "could" build faster-than-light spacecraft. If someone was truely inspired they could build a light sabre, afaik there is no theoretical reason why you couldn't. However SW also uses a load of Fantasy stables. The Jedi knights or their equivalent appear in an awful lot of Fantasy. SW has magic, they call it the Force but it is magic none the less. All the weird and wonderful races of Fantasy appear in SW as well.

This is all pretty acedamic though as both SciFi and Fantasy are sub-genres of Speculative Fiction and Star Wars is definatly that.

Fade to credits
    Scipio_major

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

I'd says its more childish fantasy.

IMHO It doesn't sit well with the more mature Bladerunner or even Star Trek for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I don't see how its fantasy?
    You may say using the force is magic, but i seen that as being able to manipulate their surroundings by harnessing the power of their minds. They maintain this notion that the universe is made up of particles (i can't remember the name of) and through much mental training they can become aware of these and manipulate them in a way that appears 'magical'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Its definetly sci-fi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

The first 3 where definitly a combination of sci-fi and fantasy. It was set in the future but there was other fantasy-like storyline threads to even things out.

Episode 1 on the other hand was more like sci-fi. the sci-fi talk about the metaclorians. It was concentrating more on the machines and gadgets than the others did. (it was all about the merchandising)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭StarScream

its more fantasy than anything else one of the most common plotlines of fantasys run through it.............................. a young boy sets out on a quest aided by a wiseman and meets all kinds of strange creatures along the way and faces his nemesis at the end just like lord of the rings and countless rpgs, imo the space travel is just its setting it never gets over-technical in explanations about technology like star trek etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Anubus

Well, they're all better than Mutant X anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

But if I had my way we'd all be living in trees anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by c0y0te

The correct way to describe this in my opinion is a space opera.

c0y0te

BINGO

Advertisement