Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knives in the kitchen...

Options
  • 13-03-2002 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what knives people use in the kitchen? Do you have a preferred brand and/or style of knife, or do you just pick up whatever is lying around?

Personally, I'm a Victorinox fan. I had a pretty complete basic set back in Ireland, but left most of it with various people. They're not the best brand, but theyre damned good, and affordable. I'm not rich enough to build a set of €50-a-pop knives, but someday I probably will start getting them.

Add to that a good sharpening steel (the straight kind) for quick "top-up" sharpening, and a decent oil-stone for more serious work, and I'm a happy camper.

My pet hates are Laser, Kitchen Devil, or any other semi-serrated "lifetime guarantee" knife which tears rather than cuts, and which invariably feels far too light and flimsy.

Its funny - a lot of people have told me I'm too fanatical about my knives. Of course, its only after they use them a bit that they realise just how easy cooking becomes when you have a good set of sharp knives of various styles lying around :)

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I have a Japanese-made cleaver that I like for its heft. I can also use it for crushing, using the flat of the blade.

The other half of the equation is a large, solid, heavy cutting board. I had one that was plastic on one side, wood on the other. Suited all occasions.

I'd be prepared to pay quite a lot for quality knives and a good board. Well worth it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Was tempted to bring back some henckels knives from the US last year... hmm, wonder what my chances of getting these thru airport security would be now?

The ones I have atm are Le Creuset sabbatier or something... not bad, especially the larger (9"?) chef's knife.. I find small ones are fiddly and lack the weight to be decent, even for delicate stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Licksy20
    Was tempted to bring back some henckels knives from the US last year... hmm, wonder what my chances of getting these thru airport security would be now?

Henckel are a german brand, although they are more commonly referred to as Zwilling over this side of the pond. Coming from Solingen in Germany, they actually have one of the oldest trademarks in the world, and their knives are damn, damn fine.

So, why get them from the US, when you can get them in the EU where they are made :)

Check out their own site for more details. I think there's a couple of shops in Dublin who stock them. There's one beside the Great Outdoors just off Grafton St (can never remember the street name).

As for taking knives through security - its no problem. My sis recently "ferried" a sharpened 36-balde sword from Ireland to Switzerland for me, so knives should be simple. You check it in with your luggage, and its fine....you just cant carry it. Dunno about US carriers, but thats how the European ones all seem to work.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by bonkey
    As for taking knives through security - its no problem. My sis recently "ferried" a sharpened 36-balde sword from Ireland to Switzerland for me,
    jc

Oranamental I hope? What was it a Samurai sword or a katana or what?

Official replica of the Sword of the Daywalker from the movie Blade.

Its not combat-quality steel, so I'm fscked if I know why they bother edging it, but thats the way its shipped.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Hmmmm.... cool, did you see you can now get a replica of Andúril? Saw it in some magazine the other day... that'd be pretty cool I reckon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

ot answer to above: try these guys here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Bastard Sword with a demon guard and teddy bears on the hilt!!! (No kidding, I have it at home!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Like cut things by hand? :rolleyes: Isn't that what food processors are there for? ;)

Yes, but food processors arent half as much fun to throw repeatedly.....

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Sabattier (spelling?) are supposedly the best knives a chef can have.....

or so I've been told by many a chef, a close friend of mine once said "you gotta love those French, they're an arrogant pack of ****s but they make the best god damn kitchen knives I've ever come across" :D

Advertisement