Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Launch party in just a few hours...

Options
  • 13-03-2002 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Wow - I'm all excited ^_^ the Virgin Megastores (Aston Quay) midnight launch party gets swingin' at about 10:30, only 3 hours away! I'm ridiculously excited here - so much so that I couldn't eat today heh, I'm gonna probably drop by the time I get to the till at midnight --_--.

However, Virgin's service over the phone has been *very* disappointing - I called them every day for a week, three times a day, and the phone got answered *once* yesterday.

The only information I could pry from the Scottish-accented bloke was:

..."we think there'll be about 200 units here" (as we all know, prizes go to the first 100 - rumour has it that these'll be games, T-shirts, hats etc - but no one is willing to confirm)

"...not that many people have reserved/pre-ordered/booked" (Good news perhaps! I didn't either --_--;; pre-ordered in GAME (3 weeks ago BTW; and I was number 44 in the queue then!) thus this means I have a nice big chance of scoring tonight.)

"...we don't know how many people will be at the event, it could be about 40, then again it could be thousands" (I reckon we're looking at somewhere inbetween here - the media have been covering this somewhat (mentions in the Evening Herald and on 98FM during the week) and word of mouth works well - as does lecturing in DCU. Thus, it could be a big party. Be there early :P)

Well that's all I got - to anyone who is going, have a kickin' time and I'll see ya there ^_^!

~Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I almost said fek my deposit and headed your way, but i got sense.

I still have to finish the very patronising MGS2 and as i am sure i wont sleep tonight, i will just stay up and complete it.

Hope you get your box and whatever game you hoped.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I'll supply the orange juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to figure out how someone would be so excited about an Xbox...

Go figure :confused:

(LOLs all round at the green-hatted santy and elf in the window btw :rolleyes: )

Yea he got slightly annoyed when my m8 beat him at DOA3 and got even more annoyed when he tapped him on the head :).

"Please don't touch santa" Pfft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Microsoft should note the fact you mentioned there was only 44 units preordered in that particular store, there was more than that in the August before the PS2 was launched for the PS2 in Gamewsworld Liffey street if I recall, I was number 60 or something, that was about 3 months before release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I was in town there last night and noticed the giant X outside virgin so me and 2 guys drove over and went in.

All i can say is that it was the most gay looking affair i've ever been too, about 40 ppl there at the very very very most, most of them rich little kids who can afford the 70 euro games.
    Demo's on everywhere and TV3 there to cover it.

Anyone there who wasnt pre-teen was your typical hairy, dirty leather jacketed yoke who happily seemed to be kissing the ass of the MS VP that i laughed at when he came to our college.

If they had 200 , they're lucky if they sold half.

Cheers MS for the free t-shirt, i took 4, make good cleaning rags for my bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by bugs
    All i can say is that it was the most gay looking affair i've ever been too, about 40 ppl there at the very very very most, most of them rich little kids who can afford the 70 euro games.
    Demo's on everywhere and TV3 there to cover it.

Heh, complete B$ of course - there were at least 100 people there - including TV3 and 98FM, both of which I was on :p

The night was really well organised overall and frankly, I've never been to a better launch event - PS2 came nowhere near it heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

They handed me a thing to get my xbox when i walked in and i was well late like , they had started selling them at that stage.... and the number i had on the tag was 50-ish.... i was then asked did i want a cap, and a t-shirt. Then was told to take as many as i wanted :)

I was at one of the sony launch party things, as well as a few sony christmas parties and believe me, the models they get at the things are about ten times better than any games they could ever show me.

But the crowd there probably wouldn't have been interested in the female element so thats fair enough i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Tag #'s were shared amongst groups of people - Group #1 had three people who bought one box, Group #2 had two people who bought one box, Group #7 or so was a group who bought about 4 between them.

So there's no way you can tell by those tags. The T-Shirt thing...yeah I know...they got desperate to offload those by the end - I was pretty miffed that I only got two :(.

Advertisement