Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loop finally unbundled

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by timod

obviously, you don't get out much....

Nice roads down in Cork, over in Galway, Wexford...They are places that Ive been to recently, Co Dublin's roads are pathetic!

I would know ive to travel 50 miles every day on them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Oh god this reminds me of when Ryanair wanted to build a terminal in Dublin airport and the government said... 'no you have to build it in Shannon', and Ryanair said 'duh none of our customers are in Shannon' and the government said 'well we'll build one with public money and let that white elephant Aer Rianta/Aer Lingus run it because even though we "say" were capitalists, capitalism only works so long as it doesn't interfere with the black hole companies and hair brained schemes it likes to loose money in'.

Example of same logic, 'oh I have an idea, lets put off yet again boradband access to one quater of the island's population concentrated in 3-5% of it's area.... it will get us votes from country people who resent Dublin'
    QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Praetorian

Nice roads down in Cork, over in Galway, Wexford...They are places that Ive been to recently, Co Dublin's roads are pathetic!

I would know ive to travel 50 miles every day on them :P

True and there are vast townships in Dublin of deprived people, and disenfranchising the capital, disenfranchises these people too, but I guess that thought doesn't jibe too well with people's nice comfortable Dublin phobia.

I think that 'we' are all getting duped here, this 'service' will end up being 'very' expensive and totally unavailable to the greatest single body of internet users in Ireland.... forgive my scepticism, but are 'we' not now witnessing yet more fragmented broadband for peripheral regions and yet more excuses and delays in implementing it in Dublin?
    The capital is set to top 2 million people 'if you believe the propaganda' so really, setting prejudice aside, the issue of transforming Ireland into a broadband society which is increasingly reliant and integrated with the www cannot be resolved until something is done to redress the state of play in the capital, remember the capital.

Setting our regional differences aside, how will the country and capital compete with places like London, Tokoyo, Berlin and others, how will this country's economy grow with any kind of logical contiguity if we 1. Don't provide high speed, low cost internet access as expiditiously as possible and 2. Don't stop playing politics and political correctness with the growth of jobs in this economy in hard times vis-a-vis westward, southern delegation?
    The economy of the country will collapse without it's lynchpin Dublin, the same cannot be said for small town X pop=1500, unfortunately no matter how much 'our' regional notions of grandure would like it to be otherwise.

It irks me that people can be so biased against the capital, when really we are all Irish 'though some of us more Irish then else' apparently, and it irks me that people will so readily abandon the 'cause' for 20 towns where only Cork, Galway and Waterford have significant numbers of people to make real difference, sorry if that seems crass and typical of the much vaunted and hated Dublin jackeen, but there it is.
    Typedef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EvilKenEvo-VI

Typedef some of your comments are truly ridicules, senseless and far from a person with respect for the population outside Dublin. Please think before you type that nonsense and that some of that crap you are typing is a waste of time and thought on your part.

Some people need to realize fast that Dublin will get broadband, may that be DSL, wireless networks, fibre-optic cable or satellite.
    We should take comfort in the fact that Ireland will finally receive some form of broadband and not start a whole new economic divide, at a point when Ireland's economic fire is burning out.
    E-commerce maybe a quadrant (higher) of the way forward in today’s economy but the majority of the population (government included) believes that e-commerce should be equally divided throughout Ireland.

As mentioned above; if Dublin (33% of the countries population)
    was to get Phase 1 of this broadband development plan and if a detrimental problem was to occur then it could be deemed a failure, considering the amount of money inputted to complete Phase 1 (Dublin in this example) and therefore it will delay rollout to the rest of the country, hence e-commerce will be deprived once more and we are back where we started.
    In contrast.....If it was tried and tested on a smaller scale then the problem can be rectified quickly and Dublin WILL get its share of this plan, only it would of been tired and tested.

Stop being self-centered and making comments that very few (if a few?) in this country actually believe.
    I came here to read intelligent comments, not to be insulted by a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

well the dsl ain't that good. And before everyone says its better than 56 k - marginally - we're fecked we,re never gonna have broadband that is good until the gov tell the ppl that are stopping us to wise up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Sez he, so he did.

"True and there are vast townships in Dublin of deprived people"

we know all about these fellas down the country, they steal beemers in Dublin and then go and terrorise quiet country towns. The logic behind not giving these 'townships' broadband is simple.

1. If you give them broadband they will need computers
    2. If they need computers they will either
    a) steal them down the country, we don't want that or
    b) go to less townshippy parts of Dublin and steal them there, we don't want that either in fairness.

Therefore they should not be given broadband and then they will not need computers. Crime will decrease noticeably. The legal system will suck less money off the government (bar compo cases against dublin bus obviously) and the money can be spent on broadband in law abiding country areas where the fibre will not get stolen and melted down.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Typedef

True and there are vast townships in Dublin of deprived people, and disenfranchising the capital, disenfranchises these people too, but I guess that thought doesn't jibe too well with people's nice comfortable Dublin phobia.

If you want the hard, brutal economic facts - here they are:

ISPs and IAPs are businesses and tend to look at things differently. You don't set up a shop selling high price luxury items in an area where there is no money to pay for these items or no incentive or ability to use these items. The situation is different in these 20 towns - there is money and there is a demand. Furthermore their economies are being damaged by the lack of broadband. This isn't a case of someone wanting broadband to have a lower ping, it is where people and companies have to move to Dublin or out of the country because of the sh1te state of comms in this country.

In most of the Phase 1 towns and cities, vibrant economies exist. These economies are being stifled by a lack of broadband and connectivity. As a result of the lack of broadband, companies are being forced to move out of these places to Dublin or elsewhere. The one thing about the internet that you seem to be missing is that it is GLOBAL. It does not exist in any one place.

more fragmented broadband for peripheral regions and yet more excuses and delays in implementing it in Dublin?

When the scum in Eircom see their markets being decimated in such a fashion, they will have to concentrate on improving access and that will happen in Dublin too. In fact Eircom wants to implement DSL in Dublin first. The ADSL trial has been in Dublin for the last four plus years. This is the KT Event for those dinosaurs in Eircom.

into a broadband society which is increasingly reliant and integrated with the www cannot be resolved until something is done to redress the state of play in the capital, remember the capital.

The capital has enough broadband connectivity. It just needs the spur for the incumbents to implement access for the people. The economies of the 20 towns and cities have been adversely affected by Eircom's abuse of its monopoly position.

it irks me that people will so readily abandon the 'cause' for 20 towns where only Cork, Galway and Waterford have significant numbers of people to make real difference, sorry if that seems crass and typical of the much vaunted and hated Dublin jackeen, but there it is.

Nobody has abandoned anything. Dublin was the lynchpin of the country to some extent in the industrial age. In the knowledge age, Dublin has lost its key position. However the knowledge economy is only a fraction of the overall economy. Most of the industrial jobs base will suffer as it becomes more economical for these products to be made in third world countries where the costs are lower.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I think this thread has ceased to be useful and should get locked or binned. It now has nothing to do with its topic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I concur.

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement