Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DACS ?

• 16-03-2001 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Eircon installed a second phone line for a year ago, I had it disconnected though for certain reasons. Anyway, it only connected at 21kbps and cut off after 1-2hrs. Is that a DACS line ?
    Is there any way to get Eircon to redo the job properly, the one I paid £99 for ?

Nil Desperandum

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fidelis:

Is there any way to get Eircon to redo the job properly, the one I paid £99 for ?
    </font>

I had a similar experience. I had a second line installed purely for the internet. It worked well for about 6 months and then started developing crackles. The connection speed went down to about 15kbs.

I called the "customer care" line who did a line test. The line tested faulty and they agreed to send out an engineer. The engineer tested the line from inside the house and said it was fine. It was probably my modem that was at fault. To prove this, he got his laptop out of the van and attempted to dial in to Eircom.

He tried three times to connect. Eventually he did but did not have the patience to wait for the home page to download on his browser. Finally he said "We don't have to make the line good enough for data. If you had hi-speed we might take you more seriously".

I said "can you at least report that the line has data problems" and he said OK.

After he left, I phoned the care line again and they told me that the engineer had found no fault. No mention of data problems. I had to make another complaint to have the problem looked into.

After three weeks of waiting and regular phoning, I had the line disconnected.

I'm told you need to know the local engineer to have any chance of success.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

http://home.clara.net/sflatt/manualsandlinks.htm

just reading up on dacs; So are Eircom actually up that caper?, actually it doesnt surprise me in the slightest but it would explain strange connection problems people have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yes, they are cutting corners on phone lines all the time. El_Presidente suffers from this problem. I was shocked when I saw his 2 new phone lines, and his old one, all coming a box connected to 1 pair of wires. So that was 3 phone lines sharing 1 set of wires. We tried everything to get his 56k modem, which used to work at 56k, when I eventually copped that the 3 lines were all on the same wires. The modem only works at 28.8k. This is why they won't install high speed, because they cant run high speed, and an extra analogue phone line over the same set of wires.

I think this is a disgrace. I don't know how it isnt illegal, as you pay just as much for a second line as you do for the first line. They should provide a line of equal quality to the first one, while not degrading the first1. How they get away with bundling the 2 on the 1 line, and charging twice the rental, is a source of great annoyance to me, and to many other people. What will it take for eircom to change their evil practices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerry:
    yes, they are cutting corners on phone lines all the time. El_Presidente suffers from this problem. I was shocked when I saw his 2 new phone lines, and his old one, all coming a box connected to 1 pair of wires. So that was 3 phone lines sharing 1 set of wires.
    </font>

Was this in an urban area? I know this is common in rural areas.

Advertisement