Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo wont "pick-up" 133 Memory

• 13-03-2002 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I just had a new mobo and chip installed in my PC, the board is
    a Gigabyte GA 71XE4. One of my memory sticks, the only one that runns at 133 isnt being recognised in the CMOS, I've tried every slot, both on its own and in combination with 100 speed
    memory and no luck.

Any one had this problem and can advise?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the mobo probably only takes pc100 mem

boMb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That won't matter, you could put 30000Mhz SDram into a mobo that only supported 6Mhz and it would run at 6Mhz.
    The ram has been tested and verified to run at 133, but it has no problem going slower.
    Put your slowest stuff in DIMM slot0, and the next fastest in DIMM slot1 and so on.
    By 'fastest' I mean both in CAS latency terms and the quoted clock speed.
    Generally PC133 ram that is rated for CAS3 (3 nanoseconds) at 133Mhz can be run comfortably at CAS2 at 100Mhz.
    I've a mix at home and it runs fine.
    The CAS latency generally only makes a 1-2fps difference in games.
    Make sure the DIMMs are actually in properly.
    You honestly wouldn't believe the amount of times people simply haven't pushed the cards home into their sockets.....
    Be careful when pushing in the ram though, make sure it's properly aligned and that your not trying to push it into somehwere where it's not mean to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

some boards only work with a particular brand/model of RAM, regardless of whether it's high quality or not.

KR7 for example works fine with crucial pc2100 Ram, but won't work with ECC/Registered pc2100 ram, despite the second being a higher "quality" part.

RAM can be funny :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

yup, some boards are fussy, and won't work with particular specs of ram chips. Thats just the way it is. It could also be a dead stick, try it in another machine.

Advertisement