Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to close ADSL trials in dublin!!

• 14-03-2001 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Don't know what the official story is but they're stopping!
    Can anyone elighten us?

.logic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

very simple eircom were seting up DSL
    that was for TV/movies on demand/voice over
    IP and the internet. all of which needed a
    5mb line to each house, at that rate they
    could not even do dublin with out bits of it
    not beening able to get it.
    plus it cost about 40 times to setup for
    them as the ADSL there setting up now.
    that is it.
    they bough a dead DSL
    now there installing the cheep ADSL which
    will just be for internet and not all the
    other things they wanted to do.
    there launch date is september.
    in dublin
    they will be doing the other citys in the
    end of 2002 and they might do out side the
    citys, in 2003 but there not sure wiht the
    cost beening too high.
    one other thing is adsl in england is crap
    for games, BT is useing a 50 to 1 rate.
    ie: if there is 200 people wiht 256K then
    there is just a 1mb line from there telphone
    ext to there ISP,
    the same problem is happing wiht SNL to a bit
    ie: there is too many modems trying to use
    too little bandwiht, so do not thing ADSL
    will be the best thing ever, ISDN mgiht turn
    out to be better for clan games.
    we will have to wait and see what rate eircom use

Coyote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You would instill more confidence in your posts if you took the time to check for spelling & grammar mistakes coyote :/

Dsl in the UK aint bad either, 5 people i know have it, and all report better pings than ISDN to game servers in the UK, usually ranging from 20-30ms less.

I also think that your a tad pesimistic with the plan you lay out above. I'd reckon that a fair amount of people could have dsl available to them by the end of the year. The exchanges have to be opened, and it wont take too long for Esat to install their equipment and get things running for them to offer their own service.

Eircom know this of course, and will want to get a foot in before Esat get a chance. Eircom have been very active all over the country upgrading their network to cope with the bandwidth constraints that dsl will bring to the fore. I have heard from people in the know that the limerick network for one is just about ready for dsl deployment, and id guess that Cork and Galway will be in about the same situation.

You may also want to have a look at www.eircom.ie and signup for their 'personalistion' of the site. One of the subjects you can tick under the Eircom services you want to be informed about has DSL.

Moriarty
    moriarty@gamersfm.com

one think leave off my spelling, i am Dyslexia.

and trust me i know more about this that anyone on the boards.
    and on when it's comming out. the dates i gave were from the head of the DSL in ireland.
    that is the time it's comming out not just when i thing it is.
    and as for esat beening about to jump in and give it no. ther is two thing they can do.
    no.1 eircom give you a line and esat are your ISP.
    no.2 esat put in there own ADSL modems. fine they can put stuff in to the telphone exe in about 8 months time when there let near them.
    but and this is the big thing they will have to run there own lines to the telphone ext.
    ie: they have to run fiber lines to each ext that they want to have ADSL in now the time it takes to do that is, about 1-2 years to get dublin done.
    and as the the problems wiht BT it takes time
    for people to be hit it depends where you live and how many people on your telphone ext get it as well.
    and as i said there is a 50/1 rate
    is:200 people wiht 256K = 1mbit line in the telphone ext. now if you have people like there are around the boards who dl 1-2gb a day, then just 4 people dling at there max rate, they will use the full bandwiht so messing up games.

Coyote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They're milking the tit of metered calls & ISDN for as long as possible. They will keep doing so until there's a popular uprising or something.

They're not in this business to give you a nice fat connection on a fixed rate. They're in it to make money.

CT your right to a bit.
    you thing you pay over the odds
    have a look at lease lines
    eircom make 30% of there profit from them
    and they are just 2% of there customers.
    that is what there milking, and why they
    will not bring in SDSL i could get a 2mb line
    for 100 quid a month in german, in ireland
    you pay 60,000 quid for 2mb see the diff
    and it's not the bandwith. that costs the money.
    eircom is in bussnes to make money fine
    but there a bad bussnes if they do not see
    what there doing is very short sighted
    as broadband will come in, and if they got 90% of the market 90% of people would not
    change from them even if there was semeone a
    bit cheeper. same way people do not change
    there phone even if they can,( as they can now)

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Terry Pratchet describes it as a ballistic approach to punctuation. It's very hard to read smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Eircom have found that basically their adsl does not work, and will not open up the local loop to anyone else, Esat are at the moment bringing them to court over this, but it could be 6 months to a year before it gets through, and will most likely have to go to higher and higher courts, Eircom are basically being a shower of shi tes about it, as Esat have it working, and were about to begin trials, but now have had to cancel the trials with everyone, becuase Eircom won't let Esat go into the building and take a wire from an eircom box, and put it into an Esat one.
    When you change over to Esat, Eircom is allowed to make one phone call to try and get you back, so instead of risking losing customers, they are trying to disallow Esat the ability to offer their service.
    Eircom's share price deserves to take a huge nose dive, and most likely will if they lose this case, which they will if it goes to the european court. I just pity all those who invested in shares with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hyperion

maybe if more ppl sign up for this it will make esat more determined smile.gif

http://register.esatfusion.ie/adsl/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

"Eircom have found that basically their adsl does not work"
    What do you mean it doesn't work? Says who, and how doesn't it work. they may be stopping trials, but they aren't allowed to do the tv over copper yet? Maybe thats the part they are stopping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jd:
    "Eircom have found that basically their adsl does not work"
    What do you mean it doesn't work? Says who, and how doesn't it work. they may be stopping trials, but they aren't allowed to do the tv over copper yet? Maybe thats the part they are stopping..
    </font>

There was a story in the Indo a couple of weeks ago about a leaked Eircom report that stated that most of their lines were unsuitable for DSL. I can believe this from personal experience (see DACS thread). Unfortunately, I can't find the story. I'll post when I do.

I believe that most of the dropped connections people report are due to the very low quality lines common in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Astrofool is right.

Eircom are denying access to the Irish infrastructure to all competitors - simply by charging extortionate rates. It's easy to get cable modems and broadband access in the UK - it's impossible in Ireland - even in Dublin - unless you live in Tallaght. This will not change unless the government steps in. NTL have already given up. The fact is that is Ireland is creating technology for the rest of the world that we can't use ourselves cos Eircom has the monopoly like BT did once in the UK. Hungary has broadband so why can't we. Everyone write to Bertie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by astrofool:
    Eircom have found that basically their adsl does not work, and will not open up the local loop to anyone else, Esat are at the moment bringing them to court over this, but it could be 6 months to a year before it gets through</font>

By EU directive they were to open the llops by Jan 1sr. The ODTR told Eircon that they have to be opened by April 1st. Eircon are appealing this due to the expense they say it will cost them but the ODTR has stayed strong so far. Hopefully he can stay strong just a few weeks more....

NARF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,791 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

thats been the problem q_ball, Eircom won't allow Esat access to the local loop, hence the court case they've just issued against them, this info comes from a person very high up in esat btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

"There was a story in the Indo a couple of weeks ago about a leaked Eircom report that stated that most of their lines were unsuitable for DSL. I can believe this from personal experience (see DACS thread). Unfortunately, I can't find the story. I'll post when I do.

I believe that most of the dropped connections people report are due to the very low quality lines common in Ireland."

I think the report referred to the local loop ie the copper line to your home. if Esat are going to deleiver adsl, they wil have the same problems. i don't think you will see adsl out of the main 15-20 urban areas...

Advertisement