Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Eddings

Options
  • 14-03-2002 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Any fans out there? I started him and am on his 11th book now.. Read Belgariad, Mallorean and am now on Belgarath the Sorcerer.

Anyway i think he is a very entertaining writer but i have one problem with him.. He seems to have an absolute obsession with the word "Melancholy" You can be certain it will pop up at least once in EVERY chapter of his books.. He should ratate them around there are other words that mean the same thing! He even varies it sometimes with a condition "Melancholia" i think it was..

That aside i think he is good.. how are his other series? Illenium abnd Timuli? Any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭immort4l

I love David Eddings!!I've read the two series you mentioned..Excellent stuff.He is kind of similar to Feist,but I assume you have read his stuff
    Nice to know I'm not the only person who reads this stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭immort4l

Illenium aint bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

I want to live in the Vale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Belgarath is pretty cool.. but whole group with Barek, Mandorellin, hettar.. the walking disasters... they are brilliantly done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

One of my personal fav's, David Eddings. Very entertaining stuff indeed. Silk is my favourite character - damn slick. :D

Read the books first when I was 13 and read all 20 odd about 5 times over by now.

I found them very hard to put down. Read books 4 and 5 of the belgariad in a day :eek:.

And I noticed the 'melancholy' myself. He's very fond of it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the "belgarath" series and the "sparhawk" series are the exact bloody same though.. there is feck all difference in the story lines.

same jokes, same pitfalls, same quests... great stories but no variation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

Right I've never read aby of David Eddings stuff. I've heard that if you read the wrong one first you'll get turned off him for life. Is this true? And second which one of his books should I read first?

Fade to Credits
    Scipio_major

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Read his first fantasy book, the first one in the Belgariad series! Only one before that was High Hunt which i did not read and is not fantasy.. was his first book i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I like David Eddings alot but think that once you have read one of the series once you have read them all. I still read the other ones because I enjoy his writing but he could do with varying the plots and stories a bit more. Scipio you should read the Belgariad first, it is five books in the series and it moves along nicely. Probably my favourite series of fantasy book bar Tolkien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Eddings writing is too la-di-da for me.
    Nothing bad ever happens to them, there's never any fear in his books, his charecters are all happy go lucky nice people.
    Good reading but ultimately boring and samey :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement