Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicians

Options
  • 14-03-2002 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Any musicians in this board?

BomB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I think you'll find there are plenty.
    I'm a drummer... and no jokes that drummers aren't musicians :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

actually a good drummer will make or break a band, what type of stuff do you play? or listen to?

BomB

Originally posted by bombidol
    actually a good drummer will make or break a band, what type of stuff do you play? or listen to?

BomB

With the band I'm in we play lots of stuff, but we'd mainly be considered funk rock, still, we play jazzy number, heavy rock, Doors style stuff, country... everything.

You can get some of our older recordings here;

The Jive Principle

cool. sounds good, its a pain in the arse trying to get a good drummer in Dublin, im looking for one myself.

bomB

What instrument\sort of shít do you play yourself?

• Advertisement

i play guitar and bass and a tiny bit o the drums, i sing too, im trying to put something together Rock/punk/Metal, i reckon i have a bassist but i need guitarist and a drummer cause i want to go frontman and drop the guitar, ill write tunes but i dont really want to play guitar and sing, cause i done that for a long time with a band and i never really liked it. its tough trying to get something new off the ground but its tougher finding people to do it with.

bomB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭AtlantaSuburb

hey, this is a good thread! :) singer (classically trained with a patti smith fetish) here, mainly. also guitar (mainly rhythm), mandolin, sparse keys, accordion and tin whistle. actually i have some sort of pet project in mind, blending irish and punk/ alternative influences (velvets, iggy, patti, r.e.m., who, white stripes etc.). basically i like the idea of creative freeform messing, so to speak... ;) actually, if anyone is interested in that, feel free to pm me!

:-)

AtlantaSuburb:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭hmmwhat?

While I'm here, if anyone can play the violin and would like to work with a type of velvet underground thang could you send an e-mail to webtosser@quincey-r-us.com
    Boo

ive been writing a lot of lyrics lately, very political/What about us theme to them, which is strange cause i usually write about personal stuff or complete BS, but this new project im trying to get going really has me going, i reckon this could be "The Peoples Band" i might post some of the lyrics/Words.
    Some of it might not make sense to you but i can hear the music in my head for them, anyway let me know and ill post up a few snippets.

BomB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

Am a guitar/keybords/singer/programmer man who,in a fit of peak, bought a hammond organ last year, a 1963 L100. It makes lovley noises. Influences are kinda AIR and The Band esque.

am a virtuoso on the stylophone.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by clevenger
    Am a guitar/keybords/singer/programmer man who,in a fit of peak, bought a hammond organ last year, a 1963 L100. It makes lovley noises. Influences are kinda AIR and The Band esque.

am a virtuoso on the stylophone.

gawd, i'd give body parts for one of those (vintage hammond organ, not stylophone). where did you find it? and while we're at vintage instruments: anyone got any idea how to get hold of a theramin? i WANT one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭clevenger

buy and sell is yer only man.

i bought it up north in the bowls of Tyrone answering an add in buy and sell. i couldn't understand a word the lad selling it said except "aye" and "free state", but it works fine even though it'd been in his barn under hay for 10 years.only cost me £200 and i even got loads of fenian songbooks in the stool(very dodgy bloke)

put a wanted add in buy and sell you never know what'll happen..now i'm going back to play whiter shade of pale for the 100th time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Any trumpeters, saxophonists, trombonists or tuba... tubans out there? Interested in getting involved in some instrumental, left-of-centre material?

You would have free-reign and it's a cushtie (if not-necessarily-money-making) number.

Arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I'm a guitarist myself. Yep another guitarist........

brunkard.iuma.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Arch

Hi Thomas. We're up for an alliance, aren't we - your act and my act, for an evening of unusual tunes?

There's some good stuff happening these days... have you seen Trouble Penetrator? Drums, Double-Bass, Guitar, Decks, Sax, keyboards, vocals - and lap-top, believe it or not.

Arch.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Well I play guitar, drums, bass guitar, piano, tin whistle, violin, bodhran, and triangle(:p ), and occasionally attempt to sing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 loveonautocue

yeah. another drummer, though lapsed somewhat. keep promising self that i'll put kit back together tomorrow (at the moment it's kinda randomly scattered around the room being red and slightly dusty not-furniture among canvasses and forgotten installation pieces). haven't quite gotten past today though for months. goddamn procrastination.

other then that, classically trained pianist who plans on branching into jazz, sing a bit, do some songwriting when i'm not busy doing nothing. eventually want to be involved with band but given lofty ambitions and schizophrenic musical influences, will probably not bother or perhaps do solo thing. await with fear. or better yet, forget i said anything.

all the projects mentioned incidentally sound rather cool, or at least, vaguely interesting. good luck! :)

Originally posted by clevenger
    buy and sell is yer only man.

i bought it up north in the bowls of Tyrone answering an add in buy and sell. i couldn't understand a word the lad selling it said except "aye" and "free state", but it works fine even though it'd been in his barn under hay for 10 years.only cost me £200 and i even got loads of fenian songbooks in the stool(very dodgy bloke)

jayzis, i know what you mean about dodgy blokes... when i sold my accordion (a new one from e-bay is on the way to me as we're speaking) cos i was sick and tired of it and thought i'd never want to see or hear one again in my life (how wrong i was), i sold it to the first person who was ready to pay the actual value at the time, and he was proudly displaying fencing scars on his face from his time as a frat student. now, german frats are not like american ones. german frats are well known as breeding grounds for the nazi intelligentia... so i sold my squeeze box to a nazi, and he probably plays nazi party anthems on it or so... :( the only hope i have is that it won't let him cos it was so used to left of centre stuff it'll just squael when asked to play that or something... :D i have to openly admit that i bawled my eyes out right after i closed the door after him, first because i suddenly realised i had sold an instrument, then because i realised i had sold it to an asshole and then because i realised i had sold it to a nazi asshole. and remembering how much money my parents had paid for it when they had bought it for me as a kid didn't help either... :( listen to my wisdom: never sell an instrument, and certainly not to assholes! ;) anyhow: buy and sell seems like a good idea, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SHEILA

Music drives me...I sing, play a bit of the piano, learning the violin...I try to learn a bit of any instrument i can get my hands on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭indie_chick

me here. well i try

• Advertisement
Advertisement