Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gfx card on a p166?

• 16-03-2001 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

my friend has a p166 and 16mb of ram, and is going to get a graphics card, what would be the best for this comp? i know V3's are good, is it worth getting a V5 for such a slow computer? and i dont think u can get a pci geforcemx?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

im fairly sure the v3 would be totally wasted in there aswell, needs something in the region of a 400 mhz processor to make use of it really.
    id say your best bet would be to get a voodoo banshee (coupla years old now, but more than adequate for such a system). its a 3d and 2d card in one and if you could get your hands on one, it would suit that computers specs very well.

Or maybe some kind of an ATI card, depending on what you want to do with the system.
    As a games machine she aint gonna do much for you really, so good luck smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

hmm, if its got an agp port i can get you a voodoo3 3000. but to be honest, for whatyou can run on a 166, youre best bet is to get a v2 or something to run with whatever 2d card is in the system. i know this as i used to own a 166 and the best th8inng i ever did was stick a voodo 1 ion it smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Well on my old 166 at home home i have a banshee and it does the job grand

nice 3d for quake2 and even a spot of half life

may i recommend some ram also?

"m33p m33p"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, id happily donate some ram. at a price of course smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

a skip

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yep RAMs the big killer there.. no matter what games your running these days.. 64mb is the minumum.. and **** cheap to pick up as well..
    spending 150 quid in total on that and a new gfx card will pretty much double the perfomance of that machine.. oh and overclocking to 200 isnt a bad idea as well smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

oh btw there are PCI Geforce MXs available.
    try itdirect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Won't a GeForce2/MX be utterly wasted on a p166? I had a Voodoo2 on my old P200, and that couldn't give it enough power to get its true performance.

- Munch

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

you can also buy some processor I saw in pc world
    its a 400mhz, you put it on top of your current pentium and it boots its performance to 400mhz or 350mhz too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Vincent

i think i'll tell him to get a V3 2000pci and 64mb of ram, cheers for the replys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement