Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dumb questions (as always)

• 14-03-2002 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭

When you send a request to a moderator, especially in reponse to action they have taken, is it not good "nettiquette" on their part to at least reply?

And if another moderator does exactly the same thing as I did, shouldn't they get exactly the same treatment?

Who moderates the moderators?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the admins
    you can see a list of the admin's here

you could try email - details @ the end of the page
    failing that - post here :)

//MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

You might note, of course, that the admins are not quite as interested (in my experience) in administering the Community Forums (such as IrelandOFFLine) as they are in administering the main boards.ie forums. These Community Forums are left in the control of the community that runs them.

Oh, and "netiquette" is a bunch of arse. If you don't get a reply to a PRIVATE message you sent to a moderator, there's no need to make it public on the Admin forum. Maybe your message didn't merit a reply ... maybe that moderator is quite busy and has better things to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Bard
    Oh, and "netiquette" is a bunch of arse.
    What!! i'm pritty sure i heard you preach about netiquette on numerous occasions Bard (well ok twice)

Originally posted by azezil

What!! i'm pritty sure i heard you preach about netiquette on numerous occasions Bard (well ok twice)

really? um... can you give me an example?

people change... if I preached it before, I'm sorry... but I couldn't care less about it now :)

really? um... can you give me an example?
    not off hand, but i remember one of them was a "hi i'm a newbie" type thread.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

who did you mail?

I get a lot of mail but I answer most if not all of it.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

You didn't answer my last PM you tart :)

Mr Perfect-Snowboarding-Pants :P

Gandalf.

(Remember be gentle with Kharn!!!)

Originally posted by DeVore
    who did you mail?

I get a lot of mail but I answer most if not all of it.

DeV.
    you have never acknowledged one of my pm's ... i feel so rejected :(

well, DeV - dunno if he's referring to me, but he sent me a PM complaining about me locking a thread of his on the IOFFL board. That thread broke our rules in that it went out to unconstructively slag off eircom.

I didn't reply to his PM because I didn't think it merited a reply. He hadn't asked for a reply or asked any questions that needed replying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I generally don't respond to reported posts, etc, for one simple reason; the headers are all wrong. All reported-post messages have reply-to: as dan@spinsol.com, most of them don't include the email address of the guy reporting, and none of them include email addresses of the other forum moderators (who really ought to be CC'd on any correspondence).

Would it be possible to set it up so that reply-to: is automatically set to the address of the person complaining and the forum moderators?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

He acknowleged one of my pm's entitled 'debbie'.... then again wouldn't you?
    And another where I was suggesting in my long and overly verbose way that possibly some of the people who post here who are opposed to the violence in the ME could make some sort of protest and the coolness of such a suggestion vis-a-vis boards.ie...
    The debbie one was funnier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

well, DeV - dunno if he's referring to me, but he sent me a PM complaining about me locking a thread of his on the IOFFL board. That thread broke our rules in that it went out to unconstructively slag off eircom.

I didn't reply to his PM because I didn't think it merited a reply. He hadn't asked for a reply or asked any questions that needed replying to.

I asked a general question on this board, in which I didn't mention any names, so therefore made nothing "public". However, bard, seem as you have made it so, here goes :)

If the thread broke the rules, even though it's intent was fully humourous, fair enough.

However, a comment about Chorus in a similar vein, posted by a mod in another thread was left untouched.

I was also annoyed by the way you quoted part my comment out of context, in your post locking the thread.

Just because I'm new here, it doesn't mean I should just sit back and not question desicions made.

And as for your not replying, I think its just bad manners - hate to sound like my gran, but there it is.

It your actions are correct, there is no need to ignore my perfectly valid questions. And yes, I did ask questions. Therefore, that normally implies a reply is desired :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dev, you have never replied to any of my mails.
    or is that a hint?

and i usually reply yo everyone.
    by the way, the fact that all replies go to dan is really annoying. not that i dont love you dan my little fluffy love kitten.....

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

maybe that moderator is quite busy and has better things to do.

Moderators!? Busy!?

Pfft, what ever happens here to make them busy!? I mean, take Mills / Shinji / Meglome... They could never be busy, could they!? Especially when they're the moderators of the CS Forum... *ahem*

Here is the thread in question.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, Buffy Boy. Care to explain how I'm supposed to have quoted you out of context?

The thread broke the rules in that it just took a jab at eircom just for the sake of it. Hence it was locked.

I'm one of the moderators there - if I want to lock a thread, I will - and I'll only do so when I have good reason to do so.

It wasn't even your thread and you hadn't contributed much to it... I don't see what your problem is, to be honest.

Can we consider the matter closed, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Here is the thread in question.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, Buffy Boy. Care to explain how I'm supposed to have quoted you out of context?

*sigh* doesn't seem much point. It looks like you are your own judge jury and executioner.

The thread broke the rules in that it just took a jab at eircom just for the sake of it. Hence it was locked.

Yup. I acknowledge it broke the rules. You didn't answer my point about all people being actioned equally though.

I'm one of the moderators there - if I want to lock a thread, I will - and I'll only do so when I have good reason to do so.

I don't beleive I said differently.

It wasn't even your thread and you hadn't contributed much to it... I don't see what your problem is, to be honest.

Apparently you don't - hence my saying there doesn't seem much point going on with this.

Can we consider the matter closed, please?

You may do whatever you wish with it. I'm too polite to make certain suggestions :)

Advertisement