Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google bomb - 'Shame on Eircom'

Options
  • 14-03-2002 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Lee H, posted a very interesting link over on the open list this morning, it was reporting on a new phenomenon within the webblog community called 'google bombing'.

It got me thinking of a campaign to battle Eircoms corporate propaganda.

Googling bombing is basically an organised effort to squew google search results, you get a big group of people to put the same link to a page on the web within a paragraph of text say:

bla bla bla shame on eircom

this links to a page detailing our problems with eircom.

If enough people do this, searches for 'eircom' in google will return this page above eircoms own page thereby using their marketing spend to further our cause.

Read the link below!

Sorry for messy post - in rush to run out the door.
    I

<lee>
    http://www.corante.com/microcontent/articles/googlebombs.shtml

... and the weblog community is only now beginning to come to terms with a new application that subverts the very technology that powers Google, the world's favorite search engine.
    </lee>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Terminator

Sounds interesting.

If enough people stuck the link on the home page of their sites (rather than inside pages) it could just work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If people are searching for eircom, let them find eircom. If they're searching for IrelandOFFLine, let them find US.

I've no intention of carrying out or condoning this action of contributing to the warping of Google's search results. It's probably the best and most accurate search engine available - long may it stay that way.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement