Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegetarian

• 14-03-2002 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

anyone else ??

bomb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Me, don't like meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Khynareth
    Me, don't like meat.
    interesting you should say that, my impression of a vegitarian is a person who doesn't believe in eating meat i.e. that its wrong.

no i couldn't live without meat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

Well my G/F would not eat meat when she was youger, that was 12 years ago, she loved eating meat, but still hasent eaten any to this day, she misses it sometimes, like when shes cooking me hangover fry....mmmmmmmmm, bacon,sossies, egg, beans....10 cups of tea..mmmmmmm

She likes veg, I hate veg, i dont eat veg at all, not for the last 19 years, apart from pees, patatos, some other small stuff, but not the big boys...they taste horrid..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Most of the Vegetarians I know don't eat meat because they find it horrible to eat dead animals, animals bred for for in conditions ouside their natural element.
    I just don't like the taste of it. Sometimes my body shouts at me for proteins and stuff like that, so I eat meat, but the taste of it... Yuk...

I understand some people like it, no problem with that. I also understand the Veges point, and they are not wrong either. I stopped eating meat when I left my parent's house, they were not there anymore to tell me it was good for me and that I needed it, I survived. I guess it's just like most people with vegetables and soups. I find more variety in vegetables than I find in meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Honestly i can't understand how someone can't like the taste of meat. A nice big rare bloody steak?....mmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

id never give up my meat :o - well done tho nice n brown :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'd feel silly if I said I was vegetarian, because I do eat fish. Just no red, white meat, poultry etc. So I can't really say it's because I think eating animals is wrong - if that was true I suppose I wouldn't eat fish either. I don't like the taste and texture of most meat and manage to eat a healthly and balanced diet without it. Out of curiosity, does anyone else fall into this category?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭EL_Diablo

Does anyone have any good vegetarian recipies? I want to go vegetarian (won't go into why now) but the thing is the only vegetable I really like is potato. But I've only really had other vegetables boiled and I didn't like them. So I figure if I get some recipies I can liven them up a bit and I'll probably get to like them. I went vegetarian for week to see if I could survive, and I don't think I would be able to survive many more weeks with a staple diet of waffles and chips. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

El Diablo,

Why don(t you try some of the better Chinese restaurants - say you are a veggie eater and you want REAL CHinese veggies - they are tasty and not boiled (what a horrible thought) - I always make CHinese for my sister who is a CONFIRMED veggie eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Why dont you try the Vegitarian Soceity's (of Ireland) website for rescipes, im sorry i don't know the website adress but im sure you could find it on a search engine.
    Its really hard sometimes being a vegitarian because there's some chocolate, ice cream, soups, yoghurt, crisps, cheese etc that have animal products in them. You will need to do some research into what food you can eat.
    If your just giving up meat it shouldn't be too hard but when you want to become a 'real' vegitarian, you will find it hard, so wean yourself slowly off food you dont want to eat any more.
    I've been a vegitarian for 4 years and have no serious health problems, because i eat loads of fruit and eat plenty of veg, but i never boil it i always stir-fry it them add sause which is tasier. I still eat choclate, crisps, yoghurt etc. and i dont miss meat at all. I eat some of the Linda Mc Carthy range like the sausages and mince, which i find tastes like meat and is full of protein. I also cook up meals for myself like lentil shepards pie and stir-frys.
    Good Luck, hope you dont find it too hard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

I agree with BiZrp because stir frying keeps in all the goodies in the veggies - (stir fry for 2 to 2 and a half mins only do not over cook).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

vegitarian = someone who only eats veggies(debatable..ok)
    so what do you call someone who only eats meat?

Carnivore

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

I dunno what I'd call myself concerning meat eating. I don't eat any meat and the only veg I eat is Potatoes and raw carrots ,and raw pes and odd time. I don't have a very balanced diet, but not to worry I'm still kickn'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

EL_Diablo,

I'm a great fan of the Quorn range of meat substitutes. You can find them in the frozen food section of any large supermarket alongside the Linda McCartney stuff. They do chicken-like pieces as well as mince which are really easy to substitute for meat in loads of traditional dishes. I also think that their mince is nicer than the Linda McCartney one.

When I became vegetarian first I found it really hard that I could no longer cook a lot of the recipies I loved, meat substitutes has made life a lot simpler. That's not saying it's not worth is getting really good cooking with just vegetables, but you shouldn't feel obliged to.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I must admit i wouldnt eat the fake meat stuff because its reminding your brain about what it tastes like, i cant even remember what chicken or beef tastes like.
    But someone was saying about recipes and stuff heres my semi quick lasts all weekend food.
    Go out and get a jat of Homepride Creamy pasta bake sauce
    -Boil a load of pasta
    -cut up mushrooms,onions,greenbeans,corn,broccoli any veg u like
    -cut up half a block of vegetarian cheese into slices, then grate another quarter of whats left
    -drain pasta and put in a deepish big dish and stir in the sauce
    -mix in 9/10's of your veggys
    -cover the lot in the slices of cheese
    -lightly throw on the rest of the veggys and sprinkle thyme,parsley,slat,pepper on the top, then your grated cheese
    -cook at 200c for about 20 mins, till the cheese has gone dark brown is is kind of crunchy

Serve with baked potato and salad, A big dish of this should last the weekend so you dont have to worry about dinner on sunday

let me know if anyone trys this

Bomb

I do this aswell using the same sauce!
    But i sometimes put breadcrumbs on top and mix cheese in with the just boiled and drained pasta so it melts then add the veg and sauce.
    Its real yummy with garlic bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

I have been a vegetarian for a week now, I decided I wanted to clean out the ol pipes, fruits and vege's, I didnt eat a whole lot of meat anyway, though my favorite food was and is a nice big thick juicy steak, lol but how often do you really eat that anyway? I'd say about 3/4 times a year for me. So I cut out all the fast foods and junk food, And when I eat a salad I do have a chicken breast cut into it...so I guess I have just gone healthy, not entirely vege:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

here's a quick and easy vege caserole dish:

16 oz. of mixed brocolli and cauliflower (or something you may like)
    1 can of mushroom soup
    1 cup of sour cream (or mayonaise)
    1 bag of shredded white cheese mixture

mix this together in a caserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes....take out and add french fried onions as a topper and put back in oven for 15 more minutes

delicioso!

or for a simple vege delight, get a bowl together of your fave vegtables and boil or steam with garlic and herbs, add a dollup of butter and your good to go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I like meat, but I also like a nummy ceaser salad with some thousand island dressing mmmm nummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I've been a vegetarian for nearly 15 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i know i'm dragging up a new post, but does anyone know of any really nice vegetarian restaurants in dublin. i only know of a few myself, like blazing salads and cornucopia, but there's *got* to be more than that, right?? i'm getting pretty bored with the same old same old!
    any ideaas would be muchly welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

recently i stopped eating all meat except chicken and rashers , now the chicken has stopped aswell , i keep thinking about what it used to be . i started eating veggie burgers an d plain pizza in stead , kinda tasteless but at least i dont feel like vomiting after dinner anymore . still though i have no problems with rashers , its just every other type of meat . i know im not a vegetarian , but has anyone else been in this situation before going completely vegetarian ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yes,

For about 8 years now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

thank you 80project for making me aware of that lisaburke site.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Whats wrong with you people ???

I cant understand the whole veggie thing .... I dont mean to offend but meat is lovely ... nothing like a big fry up , rashers , sausages , pudding etc etc or a nice big fillet steak and chips.

Or a big burger (big al's are my favourite at the moment) with everything on it !!! Mmmmmmmm mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Some good vegan recipes on this site:

http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/

I'm not quite vegan as I do eat free-range eggs and goats' and sheeps' milk products, but I do sometimes find it hard when eating out (especially in Ireland) - a lot of places feel obliged to include dairy produce in their vegitarian choices.

Dublin veggie restaurants not menitoned yet:
    Juice on Georges Street
    Escape in Bray (well, it's only a Dart ride away)
    Govinda's on Aungier Street (run by the Hare Krishnas, but don't let that put you off, it's cheap and yummy)

Re. Quorn - always a bit suspicious of this stuff, as they tested it on animals while they were developing it. I know trying out recipes on animals isn't not the same as dripping cosmetics into their eyes, but they were still kept in a lab, etc. Plus up until recently Quorn used battery eggs, but they've changed that now.

If you're going to be a strict veggie then watch out for hidden animal ingredients like gelatine, rennet, shellac and isinglass - the latter is a fish extract found in loads of alcoholic drinks including Guinness. Here's the (British) Vegitarian Society's list of veggie-friendly booze, the rest of their site is also good for advice and recipes:

http://www.vegsoc.org/business/products/wines-beers.html

Advertisement