Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high speeds out da country

Options
  • 14-03-2002 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I live aprox 8 miles from kilkenny city thus puting me beyond ISDN range and pritty much every thing else. It also means my net connection over the phone line sux ass.

Anyway i've had a quick look at satelite internet access but it looks a bit costly so i was wondering if it would be possible to get a community uplink?

Say if i got about 10 households interested, would it be possible to share one satalite uplink n then share out the cost of bandwidth?

Are there any geographical limitations to this plan, and what kind of infrastructure would have to be put in place?

Area aprox 1/2 - 1 mile... so what kind of connectivity are we looking at there... would coaxial do the trick?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

azezil check out www.irishwan.org these guys are talking along your lines

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

That site just jogged my memory, have like a wireless wan with a single uplink could do the job. N i think i know jsut the man to talk to about it too, although he scares me he'll start off into one of his speaches n i'll be left there nodding n stuff :) lol

Anywho anyone know of any company that does this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

azezil sat costs too much, your best bet is if you can get someone in a close town that might be getting DSL in the next year to setup a wireless network and share a 1mb dsl line from eircom if you have around 10 people would work out at about £15 each with no caps.

DSL ISDN etc. don't go beyond a 3 mile radius of the city... i'm 8 miles out!

meanwhile i found the following sites:
    http://www.stelladoradus.com
    http://www.fab-corp.com/

I'm not in any real rush, its more curiousity at this point, i'll research it further n post my findings, i think it may be of interest to others in my situation. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

DSL ISDN etc. don't go beyond a 3 mile radius of the <strike>city</strike>...

<replace>exchange</replace> :)

adam

• Advertisement

yeah... what he said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wireless wont work. not enough range.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    wireless wont work. not enough range.
    i'v been told it will work, no problem at all?

i.e. over the 1 mile radius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

move

Originally posted by conZ
    move
    Do you want people to accept you as you are or do you want them to like you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The following is from reading about the subject. I've no practical experience in the matter:

Using the 2.4GHz 802.11b equipment and sticking to the 100mW EIRP limit, you should be able to get about a mile with reasonable speed. The problem with this frequency, though is that it is strictly line of site and since it is the same frequency as microwave ovens, anything containing water (such as leaves on trees) tends to stop it dead. Range can be extended using amplifiers and directional antenna, but these may push you over the limit.

Satelite is expensive but shared among 10 people may work out OK. Somehow, I would not reccomend waiting around for long-range DSL or other technologies. Make sure you go for a satelite service with no download limits.

Also have a word on the IrishWan forums (mentioned above) and on the Wireless board on boards.ie.

Overall, seems like a good solution. The hard thing might be getting the neighbours to fork out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

100mW should get at least 2KM at 11MBit, and I'd say approx 5KM at 1-2MBit .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bkehoe
    100mW should get at least 2KM at 11MBit, and I'd say approx 5KM at 1-2MBit .
    That is good news. I forgot to say, also, that the problem with satelite is high latency (> 500msec). The other thing is that it's worth using cat5 cable for the short links if two houses are next to each other. Not too expensive if bought in bulk.

Advertisement