Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just sent this to Abit Techsupport but maybe you can help :)

• 14-03-2002 5:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

They'll probably take a month to answer so I thought I'd ask you fine fellows. Any ideas?

Model: KT7a
    BIOS ID#: No Floppy Disk
    Motherboard Model No.: 1.1
    Driver Rev: KT-1.32M

CPU: AMD Duron 900Mhz
    HDD: IDE1 - Master - Quantum Fireball 5200RPM 6.4GB
    CD-ROM: IDE1 - LG GCE-8160B
    System Memory: 256mb Crucial SDRAM
    Add-On Card: Hercules Prophet Kyro 4500 64MB
    Add-On Card: Edio PCI Soundcard

Problem Description: The system powers on, but there is no response from the monitor and there are no signs of the OS booting (no Bios Beeps, Floppy Drive Seek noises etc...). The power is flowing as the HDD is initialised, all fans are spinning including the Kyro Fan. The same HDD works fine inside another setup (which I'm using now).
    [end]

So it's either the Kyro or the mobo, I don't *think* it's the Kyro as the sytem doesn't seem to be booting at all. I can't test it though as all my friends PC's are donkeys old and dont have AGP slots :]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Start whipping cards out and testing until the system at least posts, one by one. Did it happen all of a sudden or did you change something and then it happened?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The only non-essential card in it is the Soundcard and I've tried taking her out.

*Thinks Back*

Oh yea, it started a few days after my new HDD went kaput, and I was trying to fix it (took the mobo out a few times, swapped it etc). Tried to boot and this happened. Theres a thread about the HDD going t!ts up somewhere. But I've taken mobo's out hundreds of times before, kinda know I didn't do anything wrong :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Never know, you might have fried it!!
    Just start by reseating all you cards, memory etc again, remove all non-essential components, all you need is mobo, ram, CPU PSU and graphics, so whip out everything else. Just check all connections again is all I can think of, there's nothing more it can be really except for a blown motherboard!!

Aye I'm pretty sure the Mobo is fried, just posted here in case anyone knows anything I should check before chancing my arm and sending it back to Overclockers denying all knowledge of messing with it :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Difficult

i had the same problem with a different board same gfx card
    if there's onboard vga on that board disable it.

remove kyro boot up with monitor to onboard vga.
    disable in bios,
    boot back up with kyro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I had similar problem thru fault of my own :)
    I accidentially underclocked my Duron 700mhz to 650mhz !
    The system only powers on, nuthin else happened(no cpu detection), system hangs, very similar to Pie's.
    Discharging the cmos on the Abit kt7 board fixed the problem, the bios uses the original parameters then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Odian

Pie,sorry to hear that happening, if ya play dumb they mite just replace the mobo.Ring them more direct.

Same thing happened to me,exact same symptoms,but only the mobo had to replaced,everything else was ok,apart from my GeForce.

And yes ya man who fixed it blamed it totally on me,before that though i sent it into PC World Blanch,head tech out there had no explaination wot was wrong wit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

If you hit the reset button after power up does it boot then ?

If so its a common fault .. check the KT7 faqs .. on viahardware.com

halfab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Conjecture aside, here's how you find out for sure.
    Remove every single pci,isa, and agp device you have.
    Disconnect any and all ide and fdd interfaces,
    remove the ram, now with just the cpu in the slot (and the head sink and fan on it) turn on the pc.
    If you don't get a beep code make really sure you have the cpu afixed in the socket 462/a socket and try again.
    If that doesn't work clear the nvram and try again.
    As a last ditch effort remove the cpu head sink and fan and just turn on the system.... if you still don't get beep codes your mobo is fscked... if you do get beep codes then more than likely it is simply a badly seated device.
    Typedef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

It may not be relevant but check where the Kyro is plugged on the motherboard as most abit boards have two fan connections together (one for cpu fan and other for power) if you plug the cpu fan to power fan system will not detect your fan and refuse to boot.

My 2 Cents :)

• Advertisement

Quick summary of answers: No onboard VGA, Didn't Underclock, nothing happens after reset, the Kyro fan plugs into the card itself.

Thanks folks, gonna try that now Typedef.

Took out everything including the CPU, no beeps, no nothing. Tried with the CPU and still nowth.

She's dead. Overclockers, here I come!

Advertisement