Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIn 2K Hard Reset - Why? :(

Options
  • 14-03-2002 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭

I've got 2 win 2000 boxes -

One of them has a nasty habit of dying - like somebody hit the reset switch. I wouldn't mind but when you've just spent a couple of days encoding a DivX and in the last hour it just falls over, well, let's just say i'm glad the pc is in a strong case...

I thought it was the hardware but when i put 2000 on a different machine (both custom built and radically different) that was previously running 98 the problem cropped up again.

I don't think it's the app s/w either cos they are both fresh installs of stable apps (except for the DivX stuff on one - unstable as fu<k, but it shouldn't take down the os)

Does windows just reset the pc if an uncorrectable error occours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Right click my computer.
    Select properties.
    go to right most tab (Advanced)
    Select "start up and recovery"
    click off "Automatically reboot" in the system failed section.

Click OK, Ok.

If it's failing also check the Event logs, it should tell you what is causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nice one hobbes.
    by the way the only time ive seen a computer reboot tiself for no reason was a voltage drop. but who knows with computers :)

Advertisement