Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gateway and there silly ways :(

• 18-03-2001 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

I bought a system of gateway, ohhh say 2 years ago now and i never really had any major problems.

However, latly i've looked into improving my ping for games on the net because i've never been able to get below 200 on irish cs servers.

So i had a little look at the modem properties and what do i see in the device status but "This device is not working properly" and thats been like that since i've bought it, 2 years eek.gif

So anyway i went on a seach for new drivers as the ones that gateway have given me don't seem to work properly.
    I've been having trouble locating drivers as i can't find an exact match anywhere, my seach so far has brought me to http://members.cnx.net/reboot/modems/
    and my modem is a Conexant HCF V.90/56K RTAD,Speakerphone PCI Modem but i havent got a clue about that "twin-chip" single- chip" lark, could some sujest a diver for me to download please as i've been trying to find one for ages

thanx
    BoB

[This message has been edited by TARE (edited 18-03-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭m1RV

yuo=sux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭TARE

[13:31] <tare> mirv!
    [13:31] <tare> http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/001749.html
    [13:31] <tare> post your l33tness
    [13:31] <Archon> moiv=tosspot smile.gif
    [13:31] *** Kowalski has quit IRC
    [13:31] * SpiraL wh00pZ Crash0r's botteh with a flying jennyrooba
    [13:31] <Crash0r> :P
    [13:31] <Kevin|away> hey bob
    [13:31] <tare> hey kevy
    [13:31] *** Stinky[cstrike] has joined #fortress.ie
    [13:32] <Archon> me play cs now, goodbye or else. . . . . .
    [13:32] *** Archon has quit IRC (Leaving)
    [13:32] <m1rv> k, done tare
    [13:32] <tare> yaya
    [13:32] <Kevin|away> do you remember "Mysterious Cities Of Gold" cartoon ?
    [13:32] <tare> yay even
    [13:32] *** Stinky[cstrike] is now known as Stinky^
    [13:32] *** Vialli has quit IRC
    [13:32] <tare> !
    [13:32] <Son_of_Blam> Yeah.
    [13:32] <Son_of_Blam> "Estaban!!"
    [13:32] *** |Fenix| is now known as Fenix|Away
    [13:32] <Son_of_Blam> "Mendoza!!"
    [13:32] <Kevin|away> hehe
    [13:32] <tare> so your saying your not l33t and you havent a clue mirv smile.gif

yuo=sux²

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if you look at the modedm, there should be a 7 or 8 figure digit on it starting with 6 i think.
    give me that and i'll try and tell you what sort of modem it is

yuo=sux³

• Advertisement

where do i look for the modedm ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

www.driverzone.com

www.driverguide.com *

*password: driver pass: all

Nil Desperandum

Bob, didn't you build pc's ? rolleyes.gif
    Anyway, get the number off the actual modem physically inside the computer case.
    Then the last set of digits in the serial will all be numbers, six to be exact.
    Enter the six numbers in the 'Approval Box' space here

Nil Desperandum

RH56D/SP - PCI ?
    R6795 - 11 ?
    B92342.2 ?
    2B4 G9C7913 ?
    GVC SF-1156IV + /R9A ?
    smile.gif

• Advertisement

Will do, thanx
    I'll tell how it turned out...

Why didn't you just try the drivers out and then come and tell us what happened you muppet wink.gif

Nil Desperandum

well, he hasnt posted back so i assume i just blew up his pc smile.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hehe

hehe
    well you didn't blow it up but unfortunatly the drivers dident wrok, it's very strange actually...
    I tried two ways to install them, first i removed the modem and the "HCFMODEM - PCI Modem Enumerator" what ever the fup that is and restarted the computer but before i could point the windows in the direction of the drivers it just installed it's own without promting me at all ?
    So than i tried to update the drivers though the modem properties and it worked as far as it installed the new drivers but the modem dident work on them it said "the modem could not detect a dial tone" or something and another strange thing is it promted me to slect a country to configure the modem to but the only country i can slect is "Austrlia" ?!?

Well, i'll probably ring Gateway about it sometime but i've gone through some nightmares with the crapy tech suport phoneline they have but if no one has any other sujestions i supose i'll have too frown.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The modem enumerator is a virtual device.

All modems have to be on a com port, this caused problems when they brought along internal modems so they needed a way of making the os *think* the internal modem was connected to a com port.

This is where the enumerator comes in. It creates a new com port on your system and maps it to your pci modem.

So if you want to install drivers for it you have to install the drivers for the modem enumerator first, then it usually autodetects your modem from there, allowing you to install your modem drivers.

Now, ive a hardware modem in this at the moment but if i remember correctly i think it stores your modem drivers in...

c:\windows\inf

so if you see an inf file in there which looks like your modem name, move it somewhere safe out from that directory. (This is to stop windows automatically reinstalling your old modem drivers)

Then remove the modem and enumerator from your device list and restart.

When windows restarts it should autodetect the enumerator....just point it to where you extracted the modem drivers too. Then assuming that works it should autodetect your modem and ask for the drivers...point it to the same folder and hopefully thatll be your modem installed.

Hope that helps.

Snaga

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 20-03-2001).]

goto the gateway site mate.
    then go to support. on the right choose dircers. then pick your OS. i was assuming you were using win98. then pick modem. then pick GVC modem (or something similar)
    the gateway site is www.gateway2000.ie
    theres only about 3 drivers, but try em all

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline;
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles

Thanx Whitewashman and snaga, much preciated.
    I’ll try your subjections, they sound good, i’ll do it tomorrow when I’ve a day off school wink.gif

BoB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i dunno if its any good to u ... but i bought a Gateway around the same time, 20 months ago when they had the ad on TV and stuff

anyway, i use the gateway drivers, but i used also use Lucent Winmodem drivers that i got from m1rv and they worked perfectly, and i had no problem installing them or anthing (and that delay at the start when ure dialling is gone)

Advertisement