Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate - Pro Wrestling Sport or not???

Options
  • 15-03-2002 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Is Pro wrestling a sport or not??

if yes, why???

if no, Why not???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can be answered both ways i think.. im not a fan... Firstly it is faked... A lot of stamping and jumping around... so its not a sport in that sense... however the wrestlers are great athletes!! They have to be.. they are basically stunt people! The moves they do can be very dangerous and fatal sometimes if done wrong so the wrestlers themselves are professional athletes.

In my opinion its an entertainment/sport and not a true sport where the best athlete wins.. in most cases in wrestling the better athlete does NOT win for ratings reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Not a sport, it's entertainment, like a soap on TV, you could call it an action soap I suppose. They are actors/stuntmen as Saruman says. Yes, they are physically fit, but it's just a show...
    Sport is properly competitive, I reckon Pro Wrestling is all laid out for them, they've got a script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

As a 15 year wrestling fan i can say that wrestling is not a sport, its a show, its a fight scene from a movie, its an extremly physical, dangerous event but the outcome is predetermend so it cannot be classed as a "sport" Sport.
    Wrestling is entertainment it combines everything that IS entertainment, Action, storylines, women, drama, grudges and spectacle.
    But wrestling is not for everyone, a person who watches wrestling has to LOVE wrestling, they must love everything about it, the fact that the end is arranged that some wrestlers are better workers than others, You dont go to a play to watch crap actors do you?
    Its an age old show where the history of the game is respected and taught still to this day.

BomB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They may well be athletes, but its not a sport. Its pre-scripted, you could nearly call it a soap opera :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

gah I hate topics on this...dunno where to move them to, sport or TV...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

tv monty, gandalf will just move it on there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

recycle bin more like. As if anyone actually thinks its a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

WWf wrestling definetly isn't a sport its just an act but there is really wrestling isn't there. Where you have 2 competitors and in a circle and they have to pin each other or get one of them out of the ring. I think they have it in the Olympics. So i think that kind of wrestling is a sport but WWF stuff is just an act.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I hasten to even call it 'entertainment'.
    The worst is that 'BattleDome' thing on TV3 though.
    Terrible, terrible shíte.
    They should just get the news birds to play women's beach volleyball all day instead. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I always watch wrestling with my younger bother, its good fun but it more of a elabourate drama and i would not call it a sport as you easily see that the punches and kicks are co-ordinated and all the matches have been choreographed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Entertainment :)

It's absolutely hilariously funny, me and my dad have watched it together for *years* :)

They are excellent athletes, but they're acting, its more like Ballet than acting :P

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Don't the guys themselves call it "sports entertainment"

Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

it isn't a sport. the matches are all fixed and it isn't competetive. but it is great fun to watch. i watch it every week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It is most definately not a sport. It is a soap opera and like all soap operas it is a complete pile of steaming dog turd :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Advertisement