Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-MAIL YOUR TD, Re:- A fair flat rate internet access service ?..

Options
  • 15-03-2002 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

All our elected members of the Dail, have e-mail addresses. Details available from your own local T.Ds. office!. If you would like to see the introduction of a fair "UNMETERED" flat-rate internet access here in the Irish Republic. The same as that which is readily available throughout the EU States, except here. Then e-mail your T.D. Today- requesting that they raise the issue! in the DAIL by way of a spoken or written question to the government??.. This matter is vitally important to all sectors of our community and should be debated in the Dail, before Now - I am sick of paying through the nose for a service which my relations in Derry have for only £STG,15.00 per Month. Now is the time for the silent majority here? to have their voice heard, and it is the duty of your T.D. to represent your view in the DAIL - if asked by you. Good Luck, Yours, Paddy20. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Not a bad idea actually (running to look for the nearest Td's office near her and get E-mail...)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=60

more like minded people there
    ods are this thread will be shunted across there also :D

GOE MONTEEE ! tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

Here's a usuful link to find your TD

www.gov.ie/oireachtas

About half way down the page you'll see the heading "Information about the Houses of The Oireachtas."
    Click on "Members of The Houses."

On the next page click on "Members of the 28th Dail by constituency including photographs."

On the next page click on your county (or part of) and you'll find the name and see a mugshot of your TD.

Emailing your TD usually takes the takes the form of
    "firstname.surname@oireachtas.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Reply to "dromoland", from- paddy20. I have just followed your guide suggestions on how to E- MAIL YOUR TD,??.. and IT REALLY WORKS??. Why are all the best answers always so simple and straightforward. Many thanks for a great link to my TD - I have just found out that I have 3 ?? in Donegal South west - I never knew I had that many. Well, they are all about to be E-MAILED by me - requesting that the issue of the "URGENT" need for a "Unmetered" fairly priced, flat-rate unlimited online time service for ALL internet users - be raised for "DEBATE" in the Dail- ASAP??. You know "methinks"that their is MORE to you - than has so far been revealed?. Thanks again,and I hope "EVERYONE ELSE" follows your brill suggestion??. Yours, paddy20. Quote:- " The only thing to FEAR in Life, is FEAR itself?", my new electronic signature - if I only knew how to set it up for automatic insertion at the end of my messages ?? No doubt I will learn how, eventually, maybe I am expecting too much of myself after only having been bought a computer a few months ago and being determined to teach myself?. Even if I may look stupid to some??.. "I digress" God Bless & Goodnight.;) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Isnt IOL a falt rate service?My mother thinks theyll rip us off and so were still paying a penny a minute to eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Isnt IOL a flat rate service?My mother thinks theyll rip us off and so were still paying a penny a minute to eircom.
    It is flat-rate for evenings and weekends but they've stopped taking on new customers since May, 2001. This event combined with the lack of any broadband alternative prompted the foundation of IrelandOffline.

ESAT, it turned out, while offering evening and weekend flat-rate for £20/per month were still paying Eircom by the minute for telephone services. There was a lack of any FRIACO product and therefore the service was uneconomical.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/computimes/2001/0521/ct1.htm

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0720/persfin3.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Prob won't work, most people who want flat rate aren't of voting age

Reply to Ahamah, from - paddy20.
    Orginally posted by Ahamah; " Prob won"t work - most people who want flat rate aren"t of voting age ?...

But - Their parents are??. and who pays the phone bills around here "ANYWAY", plus the "outrageous internet access charges"??..

Am I right, or Am I right!:-

Best wishes to you Ahamah,

Yours, paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Ahamah
    Prob won't work, most people who want flat rate aren't of voting age

That would have been true for me about a year ago, when Surf No Limits was still around, but luckily for me, things have changed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

well I've emailed my TD's down here in Clare. That makes me and Paddy20 so far. Are there any more takers.

The more of us do it the better the chances of some TD bringing the subject up in The Dail. That puts more pressure on Eircom.

Those that do take the bull by the horns and email their TD, I think it would be a good idea if you come back in here and tell us so that we can see what sort of picture is building up and help to motivate others to do the same.

dromoland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Originally posted by paddy20
    Reply to Ahamah, from - paddy20.

But - Their parents are??. and who pays the phone bills around here "ANYWAY", plus the "outrageous internet access charges"??..

Am I right, or Am I right!:-

Best wishes to you Ahamah,

Yours, paddy20.

Yea true but I won't be holding my breath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I've found many TDs don't answer their email or know how to use email. The best bet is to send them a written letter. The response rate to written letters is way higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I've emailed my local FF td, and await a response!

X

URGENT MESSAGE:- From, paddy20.

In view of the "developments" over the past couple of days, in relation to Brussels, Eircom, A Government department etc. Regarding "A fair Unmetered internet access online fixed-fee flat-rate monthly charge ??..The desperate need for same!.

Can I suggest that you contact your TD by whatever means avaiala ble to you, and draw their attention to the "POLLS" - "MESSAGES", and gallant efforts of the "Ireland OFFline" Committee ??.. on behalf of internet users. The Government are currently openly encouraging the public to make "MORE USE" of the possibilities offered to them on the internet??. So - Now is the time for an afforable access rate to be introduced for the benefit of all??..

Please act NOW & Keep the pressure on??..

Special note:- To the "Business sector" with your political clout?.. You should be supporting this POLL, Ireland OFFline & What are the "Chambers of Commerce" doing on this issue??..

Yours, paddy20. & Good Luck to ALL.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just to back up what Yellum said above. TD's only seem to respond to snail mails :)

I sent 13 letters off a while ago, I think the time has come to fire another batch off.

Also I expect canvessers will start to appear at all your doors quite soon, make sure you let them know that the comms situation in Ireland is a major factor in who you will be giving your vote to.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by gandalf
    Also I expect canvessers will start to appear at all your doors quite soon, make sure you let them know that the comms situation in Ireland is a major factor in who you will be giving your vote to.

Already happening. Well .. at least to me. Had Eithne FitzGerald of Labour canvassing at my door. My mum answered, and I went to have a "few words". She seemed impressed - but then again, politicians should all be given oscar awards for their performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well considering I wrote to the biiiaaaatttccch and she never answered me I can't wait for her to call to my door.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I wrote to the Minister for public enterprise, the Minister for health and the Taoiseach about the national plan for nuclear emergency, 'none' of who bothered themselves to write back. I even signed off as Typedef Green Issues mod, posted a link to boards ie and a link to the thread where it was being discussed and no joy.

I suspect the TD's know about email, but it is one of those things the 'secretary' takes care of while they are off having liquid lunches and accepting brown paper envelopes.

The first rule of fight club is don't mess with Michael Cain

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

I realise Eircon are committing daylight robbery with their internet charges but what the hell use is a flat rate internet connection when you are stuck at 56K?
    I have been using modems for years and quite frankly am sick of them. It must be nearly as long that I have been waiting for any incarnation of broadband no matter what it is and when finally there is a glimmer of hope Eircon do it again by charging a ridiculous amount fot it. Hopefully it has been sorted out because I am tired of unreliable connections, slow downloads, low quality video etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I personally couldnt give a nuts about flat rate - unless it were to come along with a nice broadband service. I dont understand y so many ppl want a no limit dial-up service, when dsl is just around the corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 wiredtothemoon

dsl is NOT just around the corner, eircom will prolong the dispute with the ODTR for as long as possible and by any means possible in order to continue stealing money form people like me.

I hate to be a pessimist but I suspect that dsl will not be commercially available until 2003 at the (very) earliest.

Right now I want flat rate dial up, to reduce the ridiculous phone bill i get. I also want broadband but I think in the short term i would settle for flat rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by wiredtothemoon
    dsl is NOT just around the corner, eircom will prolong the dispute with the ODTR for as long as possible and by any means possible in order to continue stealing money form people like me.

Take a look at this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=44632

DSL actually is just around the cornor.....
    The thread posted above explains why. I'm on the trials now, i'll be damned if I want a no limit dial-up, when i could have a no-limit dsl. They'd have to be stingy with the pricing and bung a cap on downloads before I'd turn away...

Back to the topic in hand, I'll certainly mail my local TD about flat rate access, but dial-up will not be mentioned. Tis archaic at this stage, anything other then dsl just isnt enough (imho).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by kamobe
    I dont understand y so many ppl want a no limit dial-up service, when dsl is just around the corner.

Because for those who just want to use email or book the odd book/flight online, DSL is total overkill and an unjustifiable expense in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

I personally couldnt give a nuts about flat rate - unless it were to come along with a nice broadband service. I dont understand y so many ppl want a no limit dial-up service, when dsl is just around the corner.

DSL actually is just around the cornor.....
    The thread posted above explains why. I'm on the trials now, i'll be damned if I want a no limit dial-up, when i could have a no-limit dsl. They'd have to be stingy with the pricing and bung a cap on downloads before I'd turn away...

Back to the topic in hand, I'll certainly mail my local TD about flat rate access, but dial-up will not be mentioned. Tis archaic at this stage, anything other then dsl just isnt enough (imho).

So it's screw all the people who do not - and never, ever will - live near enough to an exchange to get DSL?

Thanks.

k....

Firstly - for all the people who just use the internet to send e-mails, it'd probably be cheaper to dial-up send/check mail, and hang up, rather then pay 20/30 euro a month for an always on connection.

As regards screwing someone who live on a hill in the middle of no-where....
    pfft - what?

1/3 of the population alone live in dublin, and will have access to dsl soon. 1/3 ppl happy. Other main towns etc will also be updated in the near future, leaving the majority of people with access to dsl. Do you also complain about not having access to cable tv? It's not my fault your area isnt built up..... Hardly expect everyone else in the country to stop campaigning for dsl so you can have a no-limit dial-up?

Reply to "Kamobe, from - paddy 20.

Sorry ignore my last post above I pressed the wrong key??.

Listen here Kamobe, All I am asking for is a fair deal NOW, to reduce my phone bill. I live on a "Disability pension" of Euros 122.70 per week. I really do need to use the Internet for "essentials" and I could not care less what my Unmetered internet access fixed rate service will be called - DSN ,ISDN,ADSL - its all "Gobledegook" to me. Just let me have a service thats affordable to the Disabled? and Housebound? and I will gladly "Shut-up" - Until that day comes you and everyone else will be hearing from me.

Good luck to you .

Yours, paddy20.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

As regards screwing someone who live on a hill in the middle of no-where....
    pfft - what?
    I don't live on a hill in the middle of nowhere. As it happens, i live in an estate of several thousand houses, between Blanchardstown and Clonee. Our local eircom exhange down at the Blanchardstown Centre is just far enough away to be useless for DSL for us.
    1/3 of the population alone live in dublin, and will have access to dsl soon. 1/3 ppl happy.
    Oh really? All of us?

Try checking the facts first.
    Other main towns etc will also be updated in the near future, leaving the majority of people with access to dsl.
    Wow i didn't realise you worked for eircom. please, tell us more about your plans to roll out DSL. We're all ears.
    Do you also complain about not having access to cable tv?
    I have cable TV, just like most people in Dublin. You see, cable TV is not reliant on being within a certain distance from a telephone exchange.
    It's not my fault your area isnt built up..... Hardly expect everyone else in the country to stop campaigning for dsl so you can have a no-limit dial-up?
    And where did I say that?

This is exactly the "I'm alright, jack" attitude that was predicted a while back. It's quite sad, really.

• Advertisement

deary, this post is gonna degenerate nicely.....

Your getting angry at my posts is sad....

I live in blanch too - near enough to clonee....
    The exchange is fairly close to clonee aswell, tis just up here beside the shopping centre....

You're sure u cant get it? Or were u just ineligible for the trials....

If you live BETWEEN clonee and the shopping centre, you probably will get it when it's released.

"Wow i didn't realise you worked for eircom. please, tell us more about your plans to roll out DSL. We're all ears. " *snigger*

I'm not a fan of eircom, i dont work for them, i hate them with all my soul for their crippling of this countries telecommunications infrastructure, they can burn in hell. Slowly....

And there's no need to get so snappy and bitchy. Ya'd think i was outside your house throwing eggs at your window and insulting your relatives.

I *P E R S O N N A L L Y* think that no-limit dialup comes behind (far behind) broadband... Industry wise, broadband is more essential, in my opinion, and would have more appeal to the public, if advertised correctly. (ie 2 minutes to download a whole song, rather then and hour)

My *P E R S O N N A L* opinion, not intented to insult anyone, anywhere, in the world.

Advertisement