Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Money than sense Syndrome

• 18-03-2001 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Due to total despair after my computer died I went out and rang a few companies to buy a new computer.
    I decided on the following from Gateway-->
    Athlon 1.2ghz (type unspecified so far)
    256 megs RAM (cheapest type I'm sure for them)BUT the extra 128 megs is costing me 130 quid!but
    An internal ISDN Adapter.
    Radeon 32meg card with tv out.
    crappy 56k modem (I told them I didnt want it..they told me I had no choice but to take it!)
    Sound Blaster Live.
    40GB harddrive.
    windows.ME
    A cdr and dvd player.
    now the above setup is fine compared to my p2 400 which i hope to repair,
    But should I get the Geoforce ddr 64meg card from gateway? cost $300!..that too steep?
    or stick to the radeon and upgrade card in the future?
    If I can buy 128mb of 133Mhz RAM from itdirect.ie for 59 quid and gateway are charging me 130 quid for 128 meg (type unknown) someting in me screams "You been ripped off mate!"
    I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better off not researching the net for prices and info and accepted my new computer as "cutting edge technology" and be happy in my ignorance.
    I'll ring Gateway Tech support tommorow and have a chat..what I'd like to know from you guys who really know your stuff is what questions to ask and what my system should have or shouldnt have.
    Ive already paid with my credit card (was mildly shocked to see my limit was big enuff smile.gif..)
    So If I tell them I dont want their system where do I stand?
    I did ask was the RAM I was getting was DDR and salesbloke said "whats DDR"
    So I then asked is it the best I can get for my system and he said..."yup"--.translation--->..best we have to give you mate.
    sorry for been so scattered in explaing etc.
    DemonBaby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

just a bout the ram u mentioned at the end of your post there, if u mean the regular system ram and not the ram on the video card then it will not be DDR.
    as far as i know, DDR is only supported on a few motherboards, namely those that support the new pentium 4.
    As for your consumer rights on returning the whole system, id say you could probably claim that your werent happy with it within 30 days or whatever and get a full refund from them, hopefully anyway smile.gif .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'd have to say you have been mate....You'd be better off getting a new system made up of parts from different web sites off the net and then building it your-self.

sites to try

http://www.overclockers.co.uk

www.knowledgemicro.com

the second one has good ram prices but a high cost of shiping. the first one has all that you will need really. If your planing on repairing your old computer. You may want to take bits out that you wont need. ie: your old ISDN TA, as you will only be using one comp to go on the net.....use win2k as your O/S and setup the internet shairing over a network (as you will only have two PC's all you'll need is two network cards and a cross over cable (peats or maplin would be the best places for these.) Its a lot more work to build a PC your-self, but you'll have the peace of mind that you know every thing is the best for your money. You'll also learn a lot more about computers.......which is always good.......right????? smile.gif

just remember to do research on what your going to by and need, make sure everything works ok....from other ppl's setups and so on.

anyway what ever you deside to do Good luck

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by davoc:
    just a bout the ram u mentioned at the end of your post there, if u mean the regular system ram and not the ram on the video card then it will not be DDR.
    as far as i know, DDR is only supported on a few motherboards, namely those that support the new pentium 4.
    As for your consumer rights on returning the whole system, id say you could probably claim that your werent happy with it within 30 days or whatever and get a full refund from them, hopefully anyway smile.gif .
    </font>

As far as I know DDR is a Athlon bus ram not a P4.....dont they use RDRAM?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If you cancel your order, you could buy a system from me smile.gif I can supply a ddr motherboard, ddr memory, 1.3 ghz tbird etc, for not much more than the gateway costs. Also, I wouldnt charge £130 for 128 megs of memory, or £59 for that matter. I use high quality components, no cutting corners. As for technical support, I offer a 2 year back to base warranty, and since I built the machine, I would be much better able to give technical support than "greensleeves" in gateway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im sellimg a radeon 64mg if youre interested?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

if you buy the computer and decide to get a geoforce card elsewhere, ill buy the radeon from you. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LittleFigment (edited 21-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

I am and i mailed you.

Advertisement