Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOFFL Lobbying Working Group announcement.

Options
  • 15-03-2002 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

The IrelandOffline committee would like to officially welcome Howard Brittain to the Lobbying Working Group. Howard, who has graciously agreed to take the helm of this important working group was involved in the formation of IrelandOffline, has kept active on the lobbying front in his own right with his informative site www.anchor-net.com/fbi and we are very happy to have him on board. Welcome to the fray Howard.

In recent weeks Adam had been acting as head of this working group and as the PRO of IrelandOffline, two roles which were too time consuming to be held by the one person. Adam will however stay on as PRO and continue to cast his critical eye over the media in his dealings with them.

As promised, we are stepping up our profile with the referendum behind us, and the lobbying group will play an imperative roll in the coming weeks with a general election close at hand. A newly developed web site, close to going live will allow our members to participate more actively in our campaign and will serve as a more comprehensive reference point for the facts on Ireland's Internet connectivity.

David Long

And now over to Howard.

Hi everyone,

I want to thank David Long and the committee for their generous invitation to come on board the Lobby Group of the IOFFL. Many people will be familiar with the fact that I am as keenly interested in the issues that the IOFFL is campaigning for as ever and I am determined to make a valuable contribution to the campaign. I will not be taking any part in the Boards section but will communicate through the Lobby Group section of the new IOFFL site.

I am aware that because of changes in committee personnel due to personal commitments there has been some disruption in the operation of the Lobby Group as it was originally intended. One or two people may have volunteered and not heard anything back. This is a chance for a fresh start, because I intend to drive this thing forward.

I want to hear from people who want to get involved in this side of the campaign in the run up to the election and/or beyond, and who feel they can help in any way. I will be posting a more detailed contribution shortly, on the new web site, but for now we need:

# people around the country who will take part in the lobbying of local TD's, local government bodies, business organisations and Chambers of Commerce - by letter and in person.

# people with contacts in any of the above areas - even if you do NOT want to get personally involved. Becoming involved 'unofficially' can be managed in full confidence.

# people in Dublin or who can easily come into Dublin - who feel they can contribute as 'up-front' presenters in meeting with TD's, Ministers, CEO's where needed.

# people with some time available to help us co-ordinate the names/notes/correspondence/letter writing element of the lobbying effort - but who do not necessarily want to get involved with the actual lobbying.

# people with ideas. Ideas for people and organisations to lobby. Ideas about how lobbying efforts might be improved. Ideas in general. (especially the short and crispy variety)

If you are interested in any of these roles or have any worthwhile comments on lobbying issues please email me. ALL contacts will be responded to.

Howard Brittain

<Just giving Howard his "proper" email address. - adam>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Congratulations, Howard!
    From the deafening silence following your appointment it is clear you've got your work cut out for you, but this area has to be kick started.
    (It also gives adam one less plate on a pole to keep spinning)

Advertisement