Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

null modem

• 18-03-2001 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

i was connecting two comps to play aoe ror with a null modem but the comps didn't see each other, i was using the same version of aoe, but i'm not sure if the directx versions are the same, does that matter? oh and one has the orignal verison of '98 n the other second edition, are these the reasons???

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

Basic networking via null modem does not depend on directx and should be possible with a variety of operating systems though there may be incompatibility when playing the actual games.

So, concentrating on the basic networking:
    1. Set the workgroups of both machines to the same name.
    2. Make sure TCP/IP is installed.
    3. Assign different fixed IP addresss each machine.
    4. Assign different computer names to each machine.
    5. Set a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on both machines.
    6. Run the direct cable connection program on both computers. One in listen mode.

Check that the machines can ping each other. If you have drive sharing installed, see if you can map drives from the other machine.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Skeptic1 (edited 18-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

no ya only hav to do that if ur connecting a comp to a network! i would hav replyed sooner but when i seen ur post i got confused! here's a link i found: null modem setup

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 22-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Azezil, the best way for you to connect them (Logically) ,for compatability with anything that came out after the ice age, is to setup a direct-cable-connection NETWORK in Windows.

Using a game's inbuilt Null-modem support is a wasteful way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You don't need a network card for Direct Cable Connection, just a cable that plugs into your parallel port. You can get the cable in Compustore (around £12-£15), it's called a "Direct Cable Connection Cable" and that's all you need. It can be a bit of a pain in the ass to set up, but once you have it that done it's like the two machines are networked together. The transfer rate is much slower for files, but fine for playing games.
    Definitely worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Never tried it, but can you not do direct-cable-connection over the null modem cable aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

A null modem cable is the same as that marketed as "Direct Cable Connection Cable".

I think the term "null modem cables" only applies to the serial version.

What I was describing was TCP/IP networking using a null modem cable. As was said, it doesn't require a network card and should work for any game that can be played over the internet or a lan.

For transfer speed, it's best to use the parallel port as opposed to the serial port. You can buy cables for both these in most (computer) hardware shops.

I've had many a fine game of Quake with this setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ya but these comps don't hav network cards n i'm not gonna fork hundreds of pounds just to play a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Eddie-Rocket

Hi Guys,
    Can you use a USB connection to connect the machines ???

Cheers,
    Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Eddie,
    You can connect 2 machines with a usb cable. That's all i know smile.gif

Gav

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by azezil:
    ya but these comps don't hav network cards n i'm not gonna fork hundreds of pounds just to play a game!

</font>

buy a network starter kit
    I saw it for £74.99 in Computerstore nass road
    what it had was,
    2 network cards and hub and cables
    everything you need smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I'll set you up with 2 x 10Meg Network cards (ISA or PCI) (RJ45 and BNC) and a crossover CAT5 cable for £40 bills. It's a piece of p1ss to set up, and gives the best results by miles.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Myself and Kharn got a Network kit not so long ago a 5 port 10/100 Hub with a uplink port and two 100 NIC's with Wake On Lan and 2 15 foot cables not to bad for about 120 which was 20 quid cheaper than Compustore we got it at www.softwaredepot.ie

kayos

Advertisement